12 back - rarity ranking

maxf

Jedi Master
I think we can all agree that Kenner are the most common 12 backs (ignoring the a/b/c versions, just talking generally), but how do the others compare?

My guess, from most common to rocking horse poop, (based on what I've seen in collections and openly sold)...

Kenner (USA)
Harbert
Takara
Palitoy
Kenner Canada (GDE logo)
Toltoys
Clipper
Meccano

I know there are variations - like a Harbert Luke is probably tougher than a Palitoy DSC, but generally, what do people think? I'm not sure you could put together a set of the top 3, even with a bottomless budget!

itfciain

Grand Master
In the current market I don't think that anyone on a 'reasonable' budget could put together a run of anything other than Kenner

A Harbet and Palitoy run might be possible if you were prepared to spend some decent cash but the others either just don't come up for sale or would take some serious cash/trade offers to prise them from people's hands

I guess anything is possible with a lot of cash but most of these are locked up tightly in collections

Would be interesting to know if anyone has more than two or three of these runs complete

Stargeezer

Sith Lord
Going by what i have seen lately i say Meccano should be above Toltoys and Clipper. Not saying they are not rare, just trying to say the other 2 seem rarer to find.

Also I don't know for Toltoys (haven't really looked into them), but i know that for all others it 'technically' would be possible to complete a run as all 12 figures still excist on 1é back for that brand. But it would be impossible because the cost would be insane and even if you are a millionaire, some items are locked up in collections and not leaving for any price.

yogi

Jedi Knight
Only ten for takara to complete the '12 back' set, no DSC or Jawa.

Figures like C3PO (standard sculpt), Vader (standard sculpt), Stormie (standard sculpt) can all be obtained relatively easily. Luke, and R2 while not as common as the above can be found with some time and patience. Leia, Chewie, Han, Ben and Tusken raider can be very difficult to track down.

Cant comment on whether it is an easier set to obtain than the likes of Palitoy or Meccano as I don't track these but definitely a lot harder to complete the takara set than the kenner counterpart. I have been trying for a couple of years and its an ongoing struggle. In that time I could of and probably have completed a standard kenner 12 back set many times over.

maxf

Jedi Master
I think to complete any runs of anything other than Kenner, Takara and Palitoy (and Maybe Harbert), you'd need to write some pretty amazing cheques to tempt items away from collections. I suspect a few Meccano and Toltoys cards only exist in 1s and 2s.

I know a few years ago it wasn't known if a Toltoys DSC even existed MOC - I think cardbacks have surfaced now, so a set of those might not even be possible.

I havent seen a Clipper 12 back for sale for ages, although understand a Ben sat around unsold for a while last year. I can't believe there aren't more of these out there - although I dont know of as many Dutch/Belgian collectors compared to say French or Aussie, so maybe they are just a bit mroe low key?

On the Kenner GDE cards, I think Stormtrooper and C3PO are comparatively 'easy', but the others get much harder. They have to be one of the coolest cards out there though, IMO.

Stargeezer

Sith Lord
That's right on Takara only 10 excists.

I think the most "common" Clipper is Leia, i have seen them sell a few times. A few off them are basicly never seen for sale, like C-3PO, Vader and Tusken raider, but they all excist. But don't think the clippers are all with the Belgians and Holland collectors...

Thanks for chiming in with some more info on the Toltoys.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom