1978 Death Star Playset

Fido

Youngling
Hey all, I'm new to the forum. I have quite a large collection of Star Wars toys from when I was young and would like to find them a good home. I'm not sure what is hot but I thought I might find out what this Death Star playset might be valued at. It is complete except for one of the guns in the turret at the top. As you can see from the photos it has been played with, but it is otherwise untouched for the last 30 years.

I'll post some more photos of some figures, ships and playsets later, it would be great to get your guidance on their value. I also have a significant collection of UK issue Star Wars and Transformers comics, the larger format not the smaller US print. I have no photos to hand of these but will take some if there is any real value to these.

Many thanks in advance.
IMG_3350.JPGIMG_3351.JPGIMG_0910.jpegIMG_0911.jpegIMG_3352.JPGprocessed-9489D319-0B02-4F1F-BE9A-807E9BED82F7.jpegprocessed-9343550C-6EE2-41DA-8C00-A6395FB2D67E.jpegprocessed-B284B0E0-459B-4AFF-8DD4-BAA18396E015.jpegprocessed-BE78AFD5-4D94-44CF-B240-F517482CFDE3.jpegprocessed-26DBC92D-4A6F-4A2E-BFB9-B6F65B428F1C.jpegprocessed-39BF5A00-CA0A-4418-BB4D-5A0566A384B4.jpegprocessed-68DCC716-E50B-4AEC-8C45-3256F1C6B6EF.jpegprocessed-80D77353-8D44-4E3D-8560-DD75A5DE5871.jpegprocessed-83E81F19-7108-401B-AB23-AC60D2CDE727.jpegprocessed-AAE5C40F-C93E-495C-940A-0F5F223B4F96.jpegprocessed-B9927242-F92A-47D2-8B2F-8ED9BE3910EE.jpegprocessed-D7C74904-AF5C-4C53-978C-DD02F830578C.jpegprocessed-F56794F7-07F6-4DD8-95A3-BAF39E8243E8.jpegprocessed-F7403661-DAAD-44B8-9E07-C97BD85A7E23.jpegprocessed-D5EA2658-BE68-4793-A0C4-85991E2EEAB3.jpeg

Last edited:

lejackal

Grand Master
Photos of the top of the dearth star would be helpful to see the condition of the plastic parts

Palifan

Sith Lord
Thanks for sharing the pictures and it's always good to see vintage SW that survived being played with too roughly back in the day.

One thing that's missing with the DS is the clear canopy that fits onto of the black plastic part with the gun in it. This piece is often missing from this set and normally cost around £150-£200 on it's own. I also can see that the bridge you've pictured is from the Action Force HQ play set (also cardboard and a similar size to the DS), and it looks like most of your clips are brown which are also from the HQ play set. The DS clips are black so if you still have the action Force set it might be worth looking in there to see if the black clips are with that (and also the correct DS bridge). Oh, and I've just noticed that your plastic garbage chute is brown, which is also from the HQ set. The DS one should be black.

Have a good look around to see if you can make the DS more complete (maybe look at some online pictures of one to double check what you have), and then I'd have a better idea as to price for you.

Ian

Fido

Youngling
Thanks for sharing the pictures and it's always good to see vintage SW that survived being played with too roughly back in the day.

One thing that's missing with the DS is the clear canopy that fits onto of the black plastic part with the gun in it. This piece is often missing from this set and normally cost around £150-£200 on it's own. I also can see that the bridge you've pictured is from the Action Force HQ play set (also cardboard and a similar size to the DS), and it looks like most of your clips are brown which are also from the HQ play set. The DS clips are black so if you still have the action Force set it might be worth looking in there to see if the black clips are with that (and also the correct DS bridge). Oh, and I've just noticed that your plastic garbage chute is brown, which is also from the HQ set. The DS one should be black.

Have a good look around to see if you can make the DS more complete (maybe look at some online pictures of one to double check what you have), and then I'd have a better idea as to price for you.

Ian
Thank you for the feedback Ian, I did wonder why I had two bridges. I have added another photo of the Death Star to my original post where you can see the bridge. I'll search around for the Action Force toys.

Palifan

Sith Lord
Thank you for the feedback Ian, I did wonder why I had two bridges. I have added another photo of the Death Star to my original post where you can see the bridge. I'll search around for the Action Force toys.
That looks netter and it also looks like you have all the black clips? See if you can find the black garbage chute and you might even find the clear canopy (although these have all gone a clear brown/orange colour now). It also looks like you have some tears to some of the cardboard parts as I can see tape marks. It would be worth know what parts have rips or damage and if the trash compacter part is in tact or if the tab is broken (same goes for the trash compacter door, which is often broken at the top of it where it hinges).

Any damage you have or missing parts will play into the price of it and potential buyers will need to know about all of this before purchasing as you don't want to give them any surprises when it arrives. I'm guessing you don't have the instruction sheet, catalog, clear plastic figure stands or box that came with it?

Ian

Fido

Youngling
That looks netter and it also looks like you have all the black clips? See if you can find the black garbage chute and you might even find the clear canopy (although these have all gone a clear brown/orange colour now). It also looks like you have some tears to some of the cardboard parts as I can see tape marks. It would be worth know what parts have rips or damage and if the trash compacter part is in tact or if the tab is broken (same goes for the trash compacter door, which is often broken at the top of it where it hinges).

Any damage you have or missing parts will play into the price of it and potential buyers will need to know about all of this before purchasing as you don't want to give them any surprises when it arrives. I'm guessing you don't have the instruction sheet, catalog, clear plastic figure stands or box that came with it?

Ian
I'll get some close up photos. It's actually my Mother who is searching through the old toy box and taking the photos she shared this photo of some extra parts she found but as you can see most are not Star Wars, I think I see a pair of Red Horn Zoid feet there, maybe one of the black clips too. The black chute is probably a no. I'll get a count of how many black clips there are. There are no other things like the instructions, catalog or box but I do think there might be some of the clear figure stands. I will check.

processed-78152BF8-4487-499D-91D6-41A18E725463.jpeg

Last edited:

Fido

Youngling

Ian
I have added some more Death Star photos. I will get more photos of the walls and doors while it is not assembled. Maybe post them here tomorrow.

Fido

Youngling

Ian
More Death Star photos added.

Palifan

Sith Lord
Thanks for the extra DS pictures and it's a hard one to price due to the damage to it and missing or swapped out plastic parts. There's quite a price difference between the black DS parts and brown Action Force ones but looking at what's sold on ebay recently it looks like people would pay anywhere from £450-£600 for it in this condition. I struggled to sell my complete one for £350 a couple of years ago and that came with the box. I can see it would be worth triple that now so it's definitely a good time to sell judging my ebay sold listings.

Hope that's of some help and if you can find any more black clips they would help raise the value of it.

Ian

Fido

Youngling
Thanks for the extra DS pictures and it's a hard one to price due to the damage to it and missing or swapped out plastic parts. There's quite a price difference between the black DS parts and brown Action Force ones but looking at what's sold on ebay recently it looks like people would pay anywhere from £450-£600 for it in this condition. I struggled to sell my complete one for £350 a couple of years ago and that came with the box. I can see it would be worth triple that now so it's definitely a good time to sell judging my ebay sold listings.

Hope that's of some help and if you can find any more black clips they would help raise the value of it.

Ian
Thank you Ian for your time reviewing my Death Star. I have posted it on the sale thread here - https://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/threads/450-1978-death-star-playset.44800/

If you would be so kind to review some of the other items I have been posting?

Again, much appreciated.

Palifan

Sith Lord
Thank you Ian for your time reviewing my Death Star. I have posted it on the sale thread here - https://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/threads/450-1978-death-star-playset.44800/

If you would be so kind to review some of the other items I have been posting?

Again, much appreciated.
No worries and best of luck with it, if you don't get any takers on here then you shouldn't have a problem getting around that for it on ebay. Not so sure on your other items but I'll take a look when I get the chance :)

Ian

Latest posts

Top Bottom