• Try to remove the price sticker

Votes: 12 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
Clarkspie&chips said:
Wreck-It Ralph said:
If you had a stain on your Shirt would you leave it there because it's part of the Shirts history :lol:

What a lame comment

Sorry didn't mean any offence.

I can get the attraction of having a sticker that you somehow relate to like a shop you went to as a child otherwise I would rather see the card.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I really like the danish price stickers, so I do never remove any price stickers from vintage star wars toy.

I remember many years ago I was offered a huge lot of boxes and cardbacks from a dane who would sell his childhood collection. I asked him if he could mail me some pictures of it and if there was price stickers on the cardbacks and boxes. He thought they would sell better without the stickers so he had removed all the stickers the day before he contacted me :(

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
Originally I wasn't a fan of price stickers, but over time they've grown on me. I think it's mainly because of the history associated with the MOC. I'm lucky enough to own a MOC and MISB item from two of my childhood stores; I never ever thought that'd happen.

I actually own this Leia Bespin with a similar sticker

Leia Organa (Bespin Gown) ESB 31-back front.jpg

20190113_170137.jpg

She's from "Best Products Co Inc" - I've no idea if yours is the same shop, but they do look similar!

And before anyone mentions it... Yes, the sticker doesn't look in great condition but it hasn't got any worse in the 3 years I've owned it, and I keep a regular check on it. However, I would say that a case like this is probably a good reason to remove a price sticker!

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Thanks for your post, some great info there. Sounds like a big chainstore maybe and the price sticker style fits with that. Lovely Leia btw. See your stickers intact, I'm good with that. I don't know if those spots would bug me tho!

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
I wouldn't blame anyone for removing stickers from their vintage items but I'm a recent convert to the "leave the sticker on" point-of-view. I started keeping the packaging for my Star Wars toys in my childhood and the first thing I'd do after removing the toy would be to carefully un-peel the sticker. I carried on this practice into my collecting years.

It was sheer chance that I left the sticker on a Han Solo 12 back card and when I took a close look recently, it was from Kiddie City which had a branch in Romford that was my favourite toy shop. For some reason I kept the stickers on my 12" figures and they too are from the same chain. I've also found a Kiddie City sticker on a Denys Fisher Darth Vader TIE Fighter kit that I actually bought in the Romford Kiddie City.

There's a facebook group dedicated to vintage Star Wars stickers and I find it fascinating to see familiar high street names or track down an item from a specific shop. So yes, I'm completely converted to keeping the stickers on!

Attachments

• kc han solo palitoy card.jpg
    kc han solo palitoy card.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 1,148
  • kc denys fisher dv tie.jpg
    kc denys fisher dv tie.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 1,142
  • luke large size kc.jpg
    luke large size kc.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,139
  • kc toys.jpg
    kc toys.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,149
  • kc bag.jpg
    kc bag.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,148

reddogblues

Padawan
My grail vintage item, without a doubt, would be a Han Hoth Gear 30 back Palitoy MOC with a "Redgates" price sticker.

This was the first figure I ever owned (and I still have him) and this would have been the card he came on. Redgates was my local shop in Sheffield and most have sold thousands of figures. So, I do hold out some hope that maybe I will find one - even though the chances are very slim :(

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
I get the impression that stickers relating to specific toy shops are becoming more desirable by collectors. The rarity has been magnified by people (like me until recently) peeling the stickers off.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Robstyley said:
So, I come to you for some assistance. I have this 3-PO Moc with a price sticker top right, or more accurately looks like three on top of each other. The top one's torn and it doesn't look great. I'm thinking of removing them. I do like price stickers if they're undamaged and I have a few Mocs with them on. I find them interesting and would be happy to find out more about this one. I recently got a ripped one off my Yoda Moc and it worked great. Would you leave it or try and get rid? The third photo is the same kind of sticker I saw on an AT-ST Driver on eBay.

D194C6DE-807F-4CD4-889D-33F2DD9769F7.jpeg

E232C921-BDF7-400A-A5A6-545F358B0A20.jpeg

215104CE-05BE-431C-8FC1-C3754939824B.jpeg
With all the advice and opinions, what did you do?
If you've removed it what does it look like now?

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Mini99 said:
Robstyley said:
So, I come to you for some assistance. I have this 3-PO Moc with a price sticker top right, or more accurately looks like three on top of each other. The top one's torn and it doesn't look great. I'm thinking of removing them. I do like price stickers if they're undamaged and I have a few Mocs with them on. I find them interesting and would be happy to find out more about this one. I recently got a ripped one off my Yoda Moc and it worked great. Would you leave it or try and get rid? The third photo is the same kind of sticker I saw on an AT-ST Driver on eBay.

D194C6DE-807F-4CD4-889D-33F2DD9769F7.jpeg

E232C921-BDF7-400A-A5A6-545F358B0A20.jpeg

215104CE-05BE-431C-8FC1-C3754939824B.jpeg
With all the advice and opinions, what did you do?
If you've removed it what does it look like now?

I havent done anything yet. But I think I am going to try a remove either the top torn one, or all of them. From everything I've read in different places over the last couple of weeks the fact is there is no way of knowing the outcome. Some stickers come right off no problem leaving no damage or glue. Some wont come off because the glue is dried too hard and welded itself onto the litho. To try and remove it is a risk for sure but what I will do if I do it is stop before the litho tears. If I end up with a torn sticker or glue stuck to the card then so be it, that's the risk you take :wink:

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
I would have a go at the top one and see how it comes off.
I have used a hair dryer with a great deal of success in the past, just protect the bubble from any heat with a slightly damp cloth.
If it doesn't want to peel off easily I would leave it alone, some people have said that they have used lighter fluid or surgical spirit, but I've never used either, too nervous!
This seems to dry up the sticker and they often just peel off, just don't get the card too hot!
Good luck and would be kntrested to see the finished article if you do go ahead.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
One of my 30 Backs with a Price Sticker on that will never be removed for fear of tearing the card.

Attachments

• IMG_20190124_102117.jpg
    IMG_20190124_102117.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 685

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Depending on where the price sticker is situated and indeed the size of the sticker I am a lover and a hater!
Top right or left of a MOC avoiding the Luke & Leia logo of a SW card at a relatively small size is A Ok with me 8) A large sticker covering artwork slap bang in the middle of the card isn't cool with me :!: Also as said a price sticker from a local shop one knew and loved(small size, right place) is as good as it gets imo!

The "stain on the shirt" philosophy isn't an argument because the stain would b an accident and the price sticker isn't(providing the correct price was stamped :lol:)
This was a beauty I once owned. Sticker not quite top of card but it isn't covering anything significant and blends well.
D2C19330-8DE2-4BF3-B5B5-D25944F4964A.jpeg

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
palitoyjunky said:
Depending on where the price sticker is situated and indeed the size of the sticker I am a lover and a hater!
Top right or left of a MOC avoiding the Luke & Leia logo of a SW card at a relatively small size is A Ok with me 8) A large sticker covering artwork slap bang in the middle of the card isn't cool with me :!: Also as said a price sticker from a local shop one knew and loved(small size, right place) is as good as it gets imo!

The "stain on the shirt" philosophy isn't an argument because the stain would b an accident and the price sticker isn't(providing the correct price was stamped :lol:)
This was a beauty I once owned. Sticker not quite top of card but it isn't covering anything significant and blends well.
Palitoy Yoda and from Harrods, doesn't get much better than that.
Shame about "I once owned"... :(

Alisdairmac

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Wreck-It Ralph said:
One of my 30 Backs with a Price Sticker on that will never be removed for fear of tearing the card.

Some great price sticker card combinations here. Im a big fan of stickers and would always vote for leaving them on.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
palitoyjunky said:

You can't grumble about a Harrod's sticker that's as a good as it gets, I am afraid that trumps my DJ's Toys!

Latest posts

Top Bottom