Restoring Vintage Star Wars Figures

AL_Bundy

Padawan
Just a quick question about a restoring vintage star wars figures, I have a few in my collection that could do with a little touch up of paint, but I am not sure what paint to use for this. These figures are for my personal protection, and some paint has faded and I would like to restore them?

Bunglebubs

Jedi Knight
I think that sort of thing is frowned upon on here. But I think if you used those acrylic paints made by Tamiya or something would probably work quite well.

AL_Bundy

Padawan
I do understand but these are for my personal collection, and will never be sold. I have bought figures where they have been touched up and I am quite happy with that. I have noticed that people do create alternative versions of figures, so I do not see a problem with just improving my figures. The work I want to do is minimal.

yoda

Sith Lord
When you say a few how many? You can buy really nice mint figures on the forum from the guys.They are all at a reasonable price. Then you don't have to tamper with the original paintwork of your own figures.

AL_Bundy

Padawan
Its little bits like the grey paint on the tie fighters pilots hands, and farmboy Luke's hair nothing major.

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Leave well alone IMO, if you want mint, there's plenty out there at really decent prices.

If they're complete beaters and you're looking to breath some new life into them or want a custom paint job fair enough. But for me, your own childhood figures or those with just a bit of paint wear should be left as is.

But they're your figures...

lejackal

Grand Master
It can be all too easy to try and retouch figures when we just say thank you Kenner for the figures they made

AL_Bundy

Padawan
SublevelStudios said:
Leave well alone IMO, if you want mint, there's plenty out there at really decent prices.

If they're complete beaters and you're looking to breath some new life into them or want a custom paint job fair enough. But for me, your own childhood figures or those with just a bit of paint wear should be left as is.

But they're your figures...

Good point I tend to buy figures that are in decent shape, some do have minor paint wear but nothing drastic.

MarkG

Jedi Master
I'd personally leave them as is... it's part of their history. Even figures straight off the card were never 100% perfect, as 'bubble rub' was common on a lot of figures.

Gorneesh

Jedi Knight
If it was me I'd leave them alone, I like it think that all the marks and scratches are all part of the figures history, all the children that played with it, the time the dog chewed it.
If you want mint figures there are plenty out there.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
I don't see any reason to restore figures. If you want mint figures, there are loads available and they are easy to get. If the draw is that they were your childhood toys, then leave them as that anyway. As soon as you paint over your own play-wear and history, they may as well be anyones, they will loose all identity.

Finally, if you really want to play at painting figures as a bit of project, then I'd recommend getting some beaters for a few quid each and making something original with them rather than trying to recreate something readily available already that runs the risk of being passed on at a much later date as original. If you search the internet for Star Wars custom you'll get loads of inspiration.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom