Valuation request: Nearly 500 vintage figurines for sale

gumdrop9

Youngling
Hello

I have helped my friend catalogue his inherited vintage figurine collection which he is looking to sell. There are 495 figurines. There are no boxes. Loose only. Varied condition.

Today he discovered an old tin with even more accessories which would complete more figures.

I have created a spreadsheet inventory, but cannot attach it to the forum?

He wants to sell in lots or as a whole. Attached is a sample picture of 133. The owner has taken more pictures which I will transfer to my computer and upload when I can.

Advice appreciated.

D

Attachments

• 20231205_132006.jpg
    20231205_132006.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Hey
that is a lot of figures, but assuming you can match the correct weapons to the figures and they clean up well, then loose figures can go for good money these days.

Pictures are the way to go here - if you can load good images folks will be able to give you a good idea of price. If you're lucky enough to have some last 17 (last figures to be made in the original power of the force line in 1985) and some of the better first 12 then there could be good value in there.

It's always worth checking out evilbay for an idea of listing prices and more importantly sold prices.

There is a website called jeditemplearchives which has an excellent visual guide https://www.jeditemplearchives.com/vintagepics/

given the number of figures involved bulk might not be the best approach - dealers may want a haul like that, but they will only offer pennies on the pound as their business is built of flipping items.

Another approach may be to look at an auction house like Vectis https://www.vectis.co.uk/ - again just because of the sheer number of figures involved.

All that said, would love to see images and I am sure folks can offer some insight from there.

gumdrop9

Youngling
Hey
that is a lot of figures, but assuming you can match the correct weapons to the figures and they clean up well, then loose figures can go for good money these days.

Pictures are the way to go here - if you can load good images folks will be able to give you a good idea of price. If you're lucky enough to have some last 17 (last figures to be made in the original power of the force line in 1985) and some of the better first 12 then there could be good value in there.

It's always worth checking out evilbay for an idea of listing prices and more importantly sold prices.

There is a website called jeditemplearchives which has an excellent visual guide https://www.jeditemplearchives.com/vintagepics/

given the number of figures involved bulk might not be the best approach - dealers may want a haul like that, but they will only offer pennies on the pound as their business is built of flipping items.

Another approach may be to look at an auction house like Vectis https://www.vectis.co.uk/ - again just because of the sheer number of figures involved.

All that said, would love to see images and I am sure folks can offer some insight from there.
Thanks very much!

gumdrop9

Youngling
More pictures guys:

Question: My friend, the owner, has found a whole bunch more accessories that would complete several dozen of the figures. Would it be more cost effective generally to leave the accessories loose or pair them up with the figures?

Thanks in advance

20231212_125549.jpg
20231213_150025.jpg
20231205_130611.jpg
20231205_130620.jpg
20231205_130645.jpg
20231205_130504.jpg
20231212_125558.jpg

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
I would say that pairing the correct weapon with the correct figure will maximise the sales prices.
Good luck, that's a lot of figures, and if sold in a large lot you will not get the best price, but will be less work.
It's all about effort and profit, the more effort you put in potentially more profit.
If you don't mind 495 trips to the post office I would suggest that the best condition figures are listed here or FB and then see what is left, and then perhaps bundle them into lots.
Collectors here are still buying individual figures, so try them here first?
On another note, are you sure the weapons are genuine?

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
100% match the guns, capes, accessories etc. the correct figures, a little time spent there will maximise your return.

Lovely to see it all.

gumdrop9

Youngling
I would say that pairing the correct weapon with the correct figure will maximise the sales prices.
Good luck, that's a lot of figures, and if sold in a large lot you will not get the best price, but will be less work.
It's all about effort and profit, the more effort you put in potentially more profit.
If you don't mind 495 trips to the post office I would suggest that the best condition figures are listed here or FB and then see what is left, and then perhaps bundle them into lots.
Collectors here are still buying individual figures, so try them here first?
On another note, are you sure the weapons are genuine?
Thank you. Please see below.

gumdrop9

Youngling
Thank you everyone for their input. I sent the last message whilst my friend, the collection owner, was with me. After sending the message, our conversation and interest moved to Vectis Auctions. Late last night I helped him put together an email to them so we'll see how they respond. As Mini99 said, it's a balance between effort and profit. My friend hopes to achieve a compromise between the two. He also has an even larger smurf collection to deal with.

My role in this has been helping my friend with the technology and being a sound board for what to do with the collection. I inventorized and bagged up the figures, matching most accessories, because my friend didn't have the space to do so. I want to see things work out well for him and, because he first talked about it 6 months ago, felt it was past time I contributed.

Anyway, grateful for the forum and people taking the time to respond. It has been a fascinating insight. Maybe we'll be back!

Best wishes all.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Thank you everyone for their input. I sent the last message whilst my friend, the collection owner, was with me. After sending the message, our conversation and interest moved to Vectis Auctions. Late last night I helped him put together an email to them so we'll see how they respond. As Mini99 said, it's a balance between effort and profit. My friend hopes to achieve a compromise between the two. He also has an even larger smurf collection to deal with.

My role in this has been helping my friend with the technology and being a sound board for what to do with the collection. I inventorized and bagged up the figures, matching most accessories, because my friend didn't have the space to do so. I want to see things work out well for him and, because he first talked about it 6 months ago, felt it was past time I contributed.

Anyway, grateful for the forum and people taking the time to respond. It has been a fascinating insight. Maybe we'll be back!

Best wishes all.
Good luck with the sale, Vectis will see you all right, but at a cost.

gumdrop9

Youngling
Hi all

Preparing to create a spreadsheet for tin of Star Wars accessories (to be combined with existing spreadsheet and figures).

Images attached for now.

Any thoughts on valuation?

Can anyone tell me what is the largest item (5 of them, black, image corner)?
Also, there is a grappling hook. Not sure if it is Star Wars?

Thanks in advance.

Moderators feel free to delete duplicate images. I wasn't sure which were the best to include.

Attachments

• SAM_0084.JPG
    SAM_0084.JPG
    232.7 KB · Views: 34
  • SAM_0085.JPG
    SAM_0085.JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 36
  • SAM_0086.JPG
    SAM_0086.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 36
  • SAM_0087.JPG
    SAM_0087.JPG
    271.8 KB · Views: 35

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
The 5 in the corner are X-Wing cannons, which were also used on the Palitoy Death Star playset (X2).

Grappling hook definitely not the SW one- possibly later Action Force/GI Joe.

gumdrop9

Youngling
The 5 in the corner are X-Wing cannons, which were also used on the Palitoy Death Star playset (X2).

Grappling hook definitely not the SW one- possibly later Action Force/GI Joe.
Hey boss

Re the toy fair on Sunday: What would be your advice re pairing of figures and accessories? We have an additional 80 accessories not yet paired and we're wondering whether to pair with figures or not. Maybe sell a mixture of complete figures and separate accessories?

Thanks in advance.

D

gumdrop9

Youngling
Open to comments from all:

Hey guys

Re the toy fair on Sunday: What would be your advice re pairing of figures and accessories? We have an additional 80 accessories not yet paired and we're wondering whether to pair with figures or not. Maybe sell a mixture of complete figures and separate accessories?

Thanks in advance.

D

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
You will always get a better price for a figure paired with their accessory than without.
I would pair up everything you can and then what is left is loose.

Latest posts

Top Bottom