Latest Acquisitions

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
The tale of the third Yak...

So, Jez and I had discussed the Yak's in Wantage in advance of his trip, I had an interest but not one that meant I was racing to beat anyone to one of them and I was over the moon when Jez called to say that he and Rich picked up the two they did. After Jez picked his up and updated me on his fantastic score, he also confirmed that the third was sold, I cooled my jets on a trip to Wantage as I had a fair idea the things I wanted were either already gone or not yet in stock... I'd been in contact with the shop owner by message for about a couple of weeks as he has another couple of pieces in the offing that I am very keen to add to my run as upgrades to my cracked bubble examples.

Anyway, Friday night and the shop owner (another Steve coincidentally) messages me to say that the expected buyer has had to back out and the Yak is back... for sale. We discuss my trade available duplicates (Boxed ATAT, Falcon etc. that I've never got round to listing due to postage and that I took to the last but one FF and took home again), he thinks a decent deal is available, so I load the car on Saturday and head over with my son to meet him.

The shop is (IMO) fantastic, it has a decent wide range of vintage toys including Transformers, MOTU, Lego, Vintage consoles and carts and of course Star Wars. My son was entertained by the toys and games (as well as fidget spinners too) and It seems from the pictures and conversation as well as the steady trade of in and out bound stock (two sellers delivering and a dozen sales in the hour or so I was there) so I expect any visit will yield something new.

Prices are a bit up and down, but, and this is the key, the owner appears to be a decent guy who pertains to be a collector himself and that's the key... he seems to be very keen to deal with collectors and do right within the community.

Anyway, I traded my bundle of swops and some cash going his way too for what I thought was a very favourable deal indeed that meant I came away with the £1.59 labeled Yak MOC; its not the best condition card as I think that the top of the card has had some water damage tats caused the litho loss, but the bubble is pretty perfect, as well as a 65bk Palitoy Rebel Commando into the deal, so all in that makes both Steve's a happy boy.

I'd recommend the shop for a visit, its busy but he loves a chat and the prices are all up for discussion from what I've seen...

IMG_1998.jpg

poncho

Grand Master
nice yak steve!

so 3 of the forum boys got all the yaks. yaktastic 8)

sounds like you and your boy had a great time chuffed allround for you and your boy, jez and rich for bagging the other 2 and meeting what sounds like a good level headed dealer in todays crazy market.

Dublinjeff

Grand Master
Great story Jez..... :D

Picked up these couple of jigsaws, remember vividly having these as a kid..looking forward to putting them together with the little one
Just need to add Luke jedi one
IMG_20170522_174236.jpg

Gadders

Padawan
Good score Jez. I was in there talking to steve amd he said you were popping in.
I gave him a positive overview of the podcast and tried to encouragehim to give it a listen.

Didnt realiseyou were another Oxfordshirebased collector.

Adam.

Jez said:
Great carded Jawa John, nice one mate.
Sweet Pin Head Jeff dude.
Congrats on the carded Dengar Poncho mate, great score.

I am Massively over the moon to say that i have just bought my first MOC in about 12 months!!
As you know i was gutted to have to sell up almost all of my carded collection in August 2017 to afford the deposit for my house, and it's only recently i've been able to get myself some Vintage (Celebration Orlando).
I had squirrelled away a few quid for Orlando but was too busy to spend much, i did take that money to Farthest From but there was nothing which jumped out, so i was sitting on it for a rainy day (and a future purchase with Hoth Rebel).

However, I heard about a Toy shop not too far from me, when Stephen mentioned it in the events section of SWFUK. Apparently there had been all sorts of uproar on Echo about the shop owner having/planning a vintage auction, getting lots of interest and then changing his mind, saying that people had to come to the shop. The shop was in a town called Wantage which was about 45 minutes away.

I planned on going at the weekend, but as fate would play it i was driving from a work place in Swindon back home to Oxford when i saw a sign for 'Wantage', really?? OK unplanned diversion!!

I went into this shop which is a bit like Dave Tree's all the cool Stuff but a bit bigger. Up behind the cash register were a bunch of Star Cases pinned to the wall containing 6 vintage Star Wars cards, 3 of which were Tri Logo Yak faces!!

IMG_7685_zpsf2qyndy9.jpg

I couldn't believe it, 3 in one place!!
The guy started chatting with me and immediately said that the price wasn't fixed on them but there was a lot of interest. He then told me about the trouble on Echo Base. We chatted for a while about vintage collecting etc. He then made me a couple of offers on the roughest Yak (sticker one), i thanked him as it was a good price but still not something i was looking to get. Plus it was outside of my focus. We exchanged details and swapped business cards and that was it. I contact Ben as i knew that he had always yearned for one and wondered if i could help with a deal. Ben thanked me but passed. The seller then made me an offer which i couldn't really refuse, I told Richard about it and he was also dead keen. The seller held on to the two best ones for me and i went back 2 days later. The 3rd one had sold but i walked away with 2 carded Yaks!

FullSizeRender%202_zpszehxxn58.jpg

It took me ages to choose between the 2, both have some issues but are in great condition all things considered. I ended up choosing the unpunched one as it appeared slightly more vibrant amongst other things. Richard is getting the other one at the same price i paid for mine. I thought it was great, but now it's in a case i'm delighted with it. I seriously am so happy with this piece, maybe for a whole bunch of reasons: the significance of buying vintage again, the price i paid (relative) and owning the legendary carded Yak Face is something which i though was beyond me.
What do i leave you with? Wait your turn, bide your time, talk with people and you will occasionally do well. It's a marathon not a sprint.

20170518_192100_zpsa7cslzkn.jpg

So happy!!

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
I sometimes past though Oxfordshire, can someone give me the address of this guys shop, as I think I could lose a few hours here.

roundster

Jedi Master
Supporter
Amazing pick ups guys!!!

Been quiet on here recently but mainly because most of my purchases are with Iain over in Florida!!

Will share a few I have and 1 that's just arrived with Iain!!

IMG_6076.JPG

Boba With Iain at moment - picked up for £250 on eBay!

A435A187-4B63-40D1-952D-58E84EC08E93.jpg

Red bar R5 - £18.50 from eBay

IMG_6027.JPG

Klaatu and ree yees - £40 delivered off gumtree

IMG_5983.JPG

At At Driver not a toytoni £80 on eBay!

On a great run at the moment and lots more to come from Iain!

poncho

Grand Master
party time! woop woop :lol:

love this! love the art!

unopened bag of large balloons rotj era (1983) made by ariel in ireland licence by kiwi products.

enjoy

Attachments

• 20170523_103953.jpg
    20170523_103953.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 776

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
poncho said:
party time! woop woop :lol:

love this! love the art!

unopened bag of large balloons rotj era (1983) made by ariel in ireland licence by kiwi products.

enjoy

Chris, those balloons are awesome! I'm certain I remember them but probably on a peg rather than at my party. Waaaaah!

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Another Palitoy item I've been after for a long time. An ESB Luke Laser Pistol :) Really tough to find and I think there's just one more Palitoy variation I need to complete the run, an ESB Han Solo Laser Pistol, the quest continues...

34821740996_51089e8b9f_h.jpg

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Mark, great selection of blasters! What is the story with the purple backing for the 3 Position Laser Rifle? (I've only ever seen them with red backings before).

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
Mark, great selection of blasters! What is the story with the purple backing for the 3 Position Laser Rifle? (I've only ever seen them with red backings before).

Was bought from a childhood loft find a few years back. It's completely legit and another collector told me he had seen another one with a purple insert some years previously. I can only imagine that Palitoy ran short of the standard red card stock and used whatever similar stuff they had to hand, in this case purple.

MarkG

Jedi Master
Added another Stormtrooper cardback to my focus this morning with thanks to a local ish guy to me..

The elusive 41bk !!

20170524_184835.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom