THE VINTAGE REBELLION : Episode 36 LAUNCHED

spoons

Grand Master
I'm about 2/3s in and it's been an enjoyable listen so far. Steven's piece was great, I really like hearing the backgrounds to people's collections.

We had a recent discussion about restoraration of hard copies, where some thought it was absolutely fine, but only as they were rare.

If it's fine for hard copies it should be fine for cardbacks

I'm another that agrees with Edd and Rich, Slave 1 wasn't a popular ship in the U.K. at the time as we had no idea who Boba Fett was.

It's iconic now but at the time the ship had less play value than the similar sized TIEs and X-Wings as it didn't feature much in ESB

I think I heard it was designed on lamps (or shrimps). Bizarrely modern day light designers are basing their designs on Star Destroyers

IMG_4278.JPG
IMG_4277.JPG

Commander Clint

Padawan
That was a great episode. It was fantastic to meet Rich, Grant, Jez & Pete in Orlando. I didn't get a chance to talk very much with Pete, while there. Sorry to hear that Pete has left the show. Pete, I wish you all the best, and thanks for all your hard work on the podcast. I'm working on my usual write up over at Tantive as well.

I had the Slave1 as a kid, and I still proudly have it & the instruction sheet, in great condition. It was the only ship/vehicle that I had, besides a speeder bike & Tauntaun.
In my childhood scrapbook, I found a cut out from what I'm assuming is the 1983 or 1984 Canadian Sears Christmas Wishbook. The Slave1 is listed at $14.49 & the Snowspeeder is listed at $13.99.

Seahawks

Jedi Knight
Terrific show lads (my British jargon continues to expand because you). :)

Really enjoyed hearing about your experiences from Celebration. I've never been to one, but would love to someday. Congrats to Jez for a brilliant effort and raising a ton of money for Make A Wish. You truly have the heart of a champion my man.

Great interviews with Steve and Chris. I definitely need to check out pics of Steve's collection. 170+ MOCs, that's incredible! Also enjoyed the rundown of SW arcade games with Chris. Would be fun to do a rundown of all the SW home video games, but that could be a 10 hour episode for that alone. :)

It was also a huge surprise hearing you discuss my alarm clock and Slave One posts. I'm heading into work enjoying the show as I always do, then suddenly I hear my name. I was chuffed big time (I hope I'm using that term correctly). Lol

Your podcast is top notch month after month. I can't thank you enough for all the time and effort you all put in to bring it to us. As I've said before, you are the Top Gear of SW collecting shows. Very entertaining, great guest interviews, massively informative, and most of all it's like chillin' with good friends and chatting it up about our favorite hobby.

Keep doing what your doing guys!

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Thanks for another great episode. I loved every minute of it.

I think it was the novelization of ESB that described Slave 1 as being shaped like an elephant's head. It's a description which has stick with me over the years.

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
I had a slave 1. I remember a few times as a kid saving up Birthday money to go into town to buy a specific ship or figure but often that item would be sold out or unavailable. You'd then pick something else. I must have got it quite late on as I remember not being that excited about the ship, but being very excited that I had a Han Carbonite to hang next to Jabba. BF was cool but wasn't that big back in the day. I think I preferred Bossk.

Nick_IoW

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
Interesting discussion about Slave 1, as Grant said I knew the street lamp story from the Sansweet book. But when you guys all said you didn't know anybody who had or wanted one as a kid - of course you didn't, because Boba Fett wasn't a main character! I agree with Rich, he's no more important in the trilogy than Nikto or various other Jabba goons who are on screen for a few seconds. Nobody cared about Boba Fett when the films came out.

Have to say, as a child, Fett came across bad-ass in ESB. Me and my buddies all thought he was the dogs bollocks. I got my Slave 1 on a trip to see my granddad in Gloucester. Think it was £13.99 in Argos. Loved it!

Now as an adult collector - I hate that turd and his over-inflated plrices! lol.

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Another great listen, many thanks guys :D
Have to say I was rather moved by Pete's memory piece at the start :( I will miss not hearing u on the podcast pal.

Loved the Slave 1 talk and Jez's insight into the possibility of sound being considered originally :idea:
From memory Slave 1 and Boba Fett were not a big deal to my friends and I as kids. It was an outstanding piece because it looked so diff! The Han Carb was defo something that made the piece so much cooler 8)

Edd's interview was interesting. Regarding grading as a way of preserving a sealed piece I don't believe Edd fully appreciates what that does :!: He said tape will pop regardless if sealed in an acrylic case or not BUT if sealed and graded while the box in question is still factory sealed, one has preserved that even if the tape dries and falls off because being in a sealed unit It will b known the box has never been opened since leaving the factory which makes the piece virtually factory sealed 8)
I think this makes grading quite clever :wink:

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Thanks for the kind words on my Star Wars Day interview on May the 4th.

Quite a few people on facebook said similar things about the interviewer being hostile. It didn't really feel like that, and this is why:-

I met with Jamie Robertson before the interview and we had 15 minute chat about star wars collecting and looked at the collectibles that I had brought in. We discussed how long the segment would be and what we could cover in the time available. I highlighted 3 collectibles we could look at, the vinyl cape, the Helix sharpener and the blue snaggletooth (which there wasn't time to cover), as they were things people could look for in the attic.

I was on live, just after another interview and was told I would have several minutes to set up the table with the stuff I'd brought in. I had been setting up for about half a minute, when the producer ran over and said we were going live again. I grabbed the cloth cape jawa from the star case of figures and other stuff I hadn't set up yet, as I knew I was going to talk about that.

Jamie's style is a bit dry and jokey and this was the jokey item in a business news program. I tend to keep speaking if you ask me a question. So given the whole piece was cut short, I don't think he had any option but to keep firing in the next question to get through the stuff we had prepared. This was the day that Prince Phillip had retired rather than died, but it was still big enough news to take up air time they had to make back elsewhere without cancelling some interviews.

In terms of how I answered, there's a line to be drawn between engaging the audience as a whole on a non technical level versus not saying something that wouldn't sit well with the collecting community. So I had think beforehand what I was going to say about collecting as an investment. Overall, I'm happy with how it turned out. I didn't look like a dick and didn't show collectors or the collecting community in a bad light, and gave people a reason to go looking in the attic for old star wars toys.

:)

Jason

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
palitoyjunky said:
Edd's interview was interesting. Regarding grading as a way of preserving a sealed piece I don't believe Edd fully appreciates what that does :!: He said tape will pop regardless if sealed in an acrylic case or not BUT if sealed and graded while the box in question is still factory sealed, one has preserved that even if the tape dries and falls off because being in a sealed unit It will b known the box has never been opened since leaving the factory which makes the piece virtually factory sealed 8)
I think this makes grading quite clever :wink:

It's better than doing nothing at all I agree, it is just such a shame to see these sealed items come loose. I think rather than just seal in acrylic and let the tape dry out, I would like to see grading companies add some kind of qualified seal to the box itself so that it doesn't open. Something like a piece of large, strong tape with a mini signed COA behind it. Kind of like a modern version of a wax seal!

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Finished listening now and another great episode. I like Steve Savoury's interview and hearing about some of the tantalising 'glimpses' of the ongoing production at Pinewood was cool to hear. The arcade machines was also welcome, as I've long wanted one of the sit down Atari cabinets... maybe one day once the kids have moved out! I'm also glad to hear that my Special Offer Slave One helped out in the conversation you had about the toy.

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
Finished listening now and another great episode. I like Steve Savoury's interview and hearing about some of the tantalising 'glimpses' of the ongoing production at Pinewood was cool to hear. The arcade machines was also welcome, as I've long wanted one of the sit down Atari cabinets... maybe one day once the kids have moved out! I'm also glad to hear that my Special Offer Slave One helped out in the conversation you had about the toy.

Took me right back to Butlins Skegness in the early eighties, kids queuing round the arcade to play the Vector graphics game. Classic.

jedi_masters

Sith Lord
Supporter
Another great epsiode. Really sad to hear of Pete's departure. He was a fantastic presenter and always bought a lot of comedy to the podcast. Fingers crossed a bit of time out will help him through and maybe see him back presenting again in the future.

Keep it up lads, always look forward to the next instalment.

tyco

Youngling
awesome work guys, another great episode and to echo other post's its a shame to hear Pete has gone but hope his love of the hobby comes back.

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Another great show thanks guys and yes, Pete's going to be missed.

Just for those doubting Thomas's (or Stuarts!) here's a pic of the actual lamp posts that inspired the ILM team in designing Slave 1...

streeet lamp.jpg

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
I meant to say this on my earlier post. All the best to Pete with his future interests. Your work on the show has been so enjoyable,especially the old toy shop interviews which were really going that extra mile. No pun intended for Jez.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom