Buying Dilemma

Robstyley

Sith Lord
A video game? What makes it so rare? Is it the only one of that item you've ever seen or just the only one in that condition? In those situations I just ask myself if I must have it, and if it's worth the money. If it's really that scarce and up to maybe a few hundred quid I'd prob get it. If it's more than a few hundred quid, no way, not for a game.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
If it is something you need Edd, and it is currently in the hands of a viper, you need to free the item into a home where it will be appreciated.
Forget the past, whatever the price was and the type of person this seller is. In my book charging high prices and flipping will get him no where in life. Go for it and don't dwell on the negatives, look to the positives.

A lack of conscience and nefarious deed,
Sit hand in hand with avarice and greed,
But these two attributes, everyone knows,
Are the worst kind of miserable bedfellows,
They blinker view and mar perception,
Lead to entreat dishonesty and deception,
But for those who live their lives this way,
Will in other ways have a price to pay,
They do not feel a sense of self worth,
Sense joy and laughter fun and myrth,
So pity those that are purely driven by financial gain,
As you do not suffer that depressing pain,
But do not let another's negativity shape your path,
Leave them to their anger and wrath,
Be yourself without that strife,
Then you will live the fuller life.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
You have mentioned that it's not SW, but you've spiked my intrested.
As a when you buy it, (you know you will) please post it with some information about it.
Thanks.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Mini99 said:
As a when you buy it, (you know you will) please post it with some information about it.
Thanks.

He didn't say it's not Star Wars, just not vintage Star Wars toys. I too am intrigued! I reckon it's a video game

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Robstyley said:
Mini99 said:
Thanks.

He didn't say it's not Star Wars, just not vintage Star Wars toys. I too am intrigued! I reckon it's a video game
Very true...but still intrigued.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Is it the 'Crossroads' boxed set? A signed photo of Rob Curling? Wee Jimmy Krankee's school cap?... You do realise you've left us an open goal to enjoy as we speculate about it! :D

Ooh, I know! Is it Mrs Mangel's TENA Lady?

Ah, but then again, you also said it's a game... Is it 'Pin the Brain on Donald Trump?'

lejackal

Grand Master
I think I've found it, well, a likely candidate anyway. Not sure what makes it rare as I know nothing about vintage/retro games. It's a cool game though

tigerham

Sith Lord
If money's his issue and not yours then buy it, plain and simple. After all, he's the one with the issues and not you my friend so don't let it be one. :)

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Michael Sith said:
If it is something you need Edd, and it is currently in the hands of a viper, you need to free the item into a home where it will be appreciated.
Forget the past, whatever the price was and the type of person this seller is. In my book charging high prices and flipping will get him no where in life. Go for it and don't dwell on the negatives, look to the positives.

A lack of conscience and nefarious deed,
Sit hand in hand with avarice and greed,
But these two attributes, everyone knows,
Are the worst kind of miserable bedfellows,
They blinker view and mar perception,
Lead to entreat dishonesty and deception,
But for those who live their lives this way,
Will in other ways have a price to pay,
They do not feel a sense of self worth,
Sense joy and laughter fun and myrth,
So pity those that are purely driven by financial gain,
As you do not suffer that depressing pain,
But do not let another's negativity shape your path,
Leave them to their anger and wrath,
Be yourself without that strife,
Then you will live the fuller life.

Great advice. I'd be tempted to buy it. It's the way of the world I guess?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Quick update on this - I decided against it, and the item has now sold to somebody else. For those interested it was this, a sealed first print copy of Super Star Wars for the SNES (sorry not vintage!)

ebay.png

I pondered over it for a good few days but decided I wasn't happy being the 'victim' of a shameless flipper, and although it's a super rare item I could live without it considering the high price. I'm pretty sure that had I bought it, it would always have left a bad taste in my mouth and I wouldn't have enjoyed it.

I'd like to say thanks to Ben (Mr Shifter) for making contact with the seller on my behalf to try and get a better deal (as I knew the seller wouldn't do me any favours) but as expected he would barely budge.

I have since bought this nice condition but not sealed copy as a placeholder, it was less than £50 so almost 1/20th of the price!

sw-snes.jpg

olisuds

Sith Lord
I think you did the right thing walking away. I mean nothing wrong with overpaying if it's something you really want but 5 times the value is crazy and you'd just be feeding someones greed. Let someone's overpay on it if they want to. Maybe someday it will come around again at a more reasonable price. There are one of a kind items i need to complete runs that i'd walk away from if they were ridiculously priced or if i was being held to ransom. There is absolutely nothing vintage star wars that i want that badly.

Your unsealed version looks beautiful. Awesome graphics on the box. For a 1/20 of the price i'd be very happy!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yes you're exactly right. As it's a production piece even though I haven't seen another one, it can't be the only one left. I've waited 5 years already so I can continue to be patient. As is often the case with 'grail' pieces there is no market data so it is interesting that somebody paid almost his asking price for it. At least I know it wasn't just me that wanted it and thought it could be worth a lot more now than it originally sold for. The hunt continues :)

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I definitely think you did the right thing, the price difference! :shock:

Really nice opened example, cool art work.

subzero

Sith Lord
Gotta go with your gut and your beliefs mate, but what a fine condition boxed game that is for your collection, as you're already aware SNES boxes are notorious for being worn/damaged, so well done on finding that in mint cond.

Heith

Padawan
Remember buying the import version of that when it first come out, they wasn't cheap those import games, £120 for Starfox etc

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom