Set loose from an AFA tomb

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Andy as put it in a nut shell as usual. You could put that Yoda in the middle of a framed warn out car tire and it would still look good. I've only been a member on here for four years and their are a lot of repetitive threads, understandably when your talking about toys that they stopped making 35 years ago.

I don't give a toss if you like UKG, AFA or GW Acrylic or not. They have all made my collection display nicer for me, my collection is still vintage Star Wars, like it was 35 years ago.

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Merrion said:
Lindo said:
jared007 said:
GW Acrylic cases and Star Wars Tracker labels - a match made in heaven and a serious alternative to grading! :)

combined.jpg
The point of grading is totally different to putting a label in an acrylic case, all that label says is potf yoda, grading authenticates from an independent experienced body, understand people don't like grading but there is some piece of mind for inexperienced collectors, personally I can tell what an item is so don't get the point of that star wars tracker label

Oh havent u heard.... apparentedly its cool and hip to be anti grading...... :roll:

Not sure it has anything to do with being "cool". I see far more of the trendiness of this hobby revolving around graded than non-graded items. Who's got a 90 this or 90 that seems to be much more hip than just being chuffed with a very nice condition addition to ones collection. I personally believe grading has more detrimental effects on the hobby than positive. And I can see some positives. Just not enough to outweigh the negatives for regular loose and MOC items.

Self appointed "experts" placing an arbitrary number against a carded or loose figure to reflect their opinion and therefore causing the perceived value to be increased by 40-50%, or more, seems utterly absurd.

Take any two of the same figure, one 80 and one 90 grade. Remove both from their cases and ask anyone, including the original graders, to choose which was which and I'd put money on many, if not the majority, getting it wrong.

Having been involved in a few collecting hobbies in my life one thing remains true. Time spent familiarising ones self with how to identify originality through research and exposure to as many items, genuine and fake, over time, talking with fellow collectors and sharing of knowledge are far better methods of having reasonable confidence of what you are purchasing being genuine. Especially given that the "expert" body have been proven many times to make many mistakes.

Of course we're all free to collect how we see fit and I'd never begrudge anyone whether they have to have the mintiest of mint or have just a handful of beaters. But I have little tolerance for organised practices that help to unnecessarily inflate prices under the guise offering a service to the hobby.

My gripe is with these bodies and their practices. More so the likes of AFA who have proven time and time again that their allegiance is to the profit they make, not with the advancement of knowledge within our hobby and the preservation of the items we hold dear as collectors. I'm not and would not have a personal dig at any collector and how they choose to collect. Unless of course they are the kind of moron who intentionally opens carded or boxed items. :wink:

Chris

yoda

Sith Lord
spoons said:
I'm not a huge fan of grading but I've got some graded and some not. Either way I would never crack my graded out for the sake of it and then put them in another acrylic case - that really does seem nuts.

UKG and GW Acrylic are both laughing all the way to the bank

This is also how some of my collection is displayed, and also mirrors my view on grading.
It's costly having to buy another acrylic case after busting it out of one already only to recase it again. If it's only for your own display/collection I really don't see the point.

TK-7785

Jedi Master
yoda said:
spoons said:
I'm not a huge fan of grading but I've got some graded and some not. Either way I would never crack my graded out for the sake of it and then put them in another acrylic case - that really does seem nuts.

This is also how some of my collection is displayed, and also mirrors my view on grading.
It's costly having to buy another acrylic case after busting it out of one already only to recase it again. If it's only for your own display/collection I really don't see the point.

Agreed...if the cost paid for the graded figure was a graded figure price. In this case, as I wrote, I got it for a price reasonable for an ungraded version. I also never said I'd be breaking one case just to buy another.

That said, the graded cases offer no ability to protect the bubble properly if it were to be posted again in the future. Another acrylic case which can be opened does offer that. So in the interests of future preservation, that really isn't nuts.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
TK-7785 said:
yoda said:
spoons said:

Agreed...if the cost paid for the graded figure was a graded figure price. In this case, as I wrote, I got it for a price reasonable for an ungraded version. I also never said I'd be breaking one case just to buy another.

That said, the graded cases offer no ability to protect the bubble properly if it were to be posted again in the future. Another acrylic case which can be opened does offer that. So in the interests of future preservation, that really isn't nuts.
I agree. My own views on grading I have already made known (I don't see the point), however I completely agree that breaking a MOC out of an AFA case on principle, only to then immediately display it in a GW one is completely pointless IMHO, providing that, i) the AFA case isn't scratched or damaged, or ii) you don't need to post it / transport it.

It's simply infuriating to have a really nice MOC sealed inside an AFA case with a whacking great scratch or other permanent marks on it where some careless ass has mishandled it, or where it has suffered an accident. And if you need to post or transport a MOC, as has been said many times, the bubble simply cannot be supported once it's sealed inside an AFA case.

In both of these instances, I would be very happy to break open an AFA case and replace it with a GW one (after being posted in a Star Case with bubble support, in the case it a MOC being sent somewhere, of course). However, for as long as the AFA case is clean and displays well, and also doesn't need to be sent anywhere, and also assuming that I want to display it in a perspex case of course, then I would leave it sealed.

Personally, I take a different view on AFA graded loose figures, as IMHO, whilst MOCs look good in perspex cases, loose figures do not. I'm not having a go at people that do like graded loose and think they look great. I'm saying that I personally think a loose figure looks terrible in an AFA case with its weapon taped next to it, never to be held by them ever again! For that reason, I would happily break open loose AFA cases, but naturally I would not then immediately encase the figure in another perspex case! I like my loose figures displayed loose in cabinets.

it's personal preference of course though. If someone else wants to free their MOCs from AFA cases on principle, I won't criticise them for it, just as I won't criticise people who like AFA cases for MOCs or loose. It's the grading process itself that I object to, not the people that like it.

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
I have always thought that people should do what ever they want to their items (display wise), as long as no damage is done to them as the hobby has always been about fun , enjoyment and nostalgia to me, I don't own any high ticket items just my child hood collection and what I've picked up over the years at boot sales etc. all a bit rough and ready so can't speak from experience .
But I have always thought that these cases should have some sort of tamper proof , security seal, to them (button type) that just snaps if pushed hard to slid the bottom off, and cannot be reinstated, so there is no need for the hack saw, hammer and bolster affair :eek: . as that always scares me when I see them being attacked .
The seal if designed correctly would be obvious if it had been tampered with to stop easy substitution of items, maybe with an additional security foil sticker over the top like electrical items, just a thought. (sh$$ I'll have to patient that quick as I can ) :)

Lindo

Sith Lord
my original point was not to start a debate on grading, it was to simply put my point across that a stupid star wars tracker label is not the same as a graded piece

tigerham

Sith Lord
yoda said:
spoons said:

Because it still gives you the option to take it out when ever you want. Every now and again it's nice to hold the actual MOC rather than an acrylic case and also have the option of displaying it neatly (in my opinion) along with others in a cabinet or unit.

Plus I have smartened up my case (again, my opinion) by placing a gloss black layer on the bottom of the case. Customise it as you please kind of thing. And change it if you want later as you can still get into the case.

At the end of the day I personally think that each to their own and everyone has different taste's in how they display their own. Makes for a more interesting view. :)

spoons

Grand Master
To be fair I can see the attraction in having a collection displayed in the same type of cases.

I'd be interested to know how many people really take their MOCs out of cases one they are in GW acrylic - not saying you don't Tig, just I suspect that once a MOC goes into a case most people leave it there.

The only time mine come out is if I decided to move something on - where I also appreciate the benifts of not being in a graded case, if it's going to be posted.

I rarely sell my MOCs so its not particularly relative to me, but again I appreciate that others move things on more regularly

Still think overall it's nuts though, a waste of good acrylic :lol:

tigerham

Sith Lord
spoons said:
To be fair I can see the attraction in having a collection displayed in the same type of cases.

I'd be interested to know how many people really take their MOCs out of cases one they are in GW acrylic - not saying you don't Tig, just I suspect that once a MOC goes into a case most people leave it there.

The only time mine come out is if I decided to move something on - where I also appreciate the benifts of not being in a graded case, if it's going to be posted.

I rarely sell my MOCs so its not particularly relative to me, but again I appreciate that others move things on more regularly

Still think overall it's nuts though, a waste of good acrylic :lol:

Lol, every other day. :p

Seriously though, I think it's just knowing you can take it out if you want to rather than not being able to because it's completely sealed plus I prefer them clean without any labels.

tigerham

Sith Lord
Personally I think it looks neater too, especially with a gloss black bottom to complement the black on the cardback...

CC Cases.jpg

yoda

Sith Lord
I think we'll all agree everyone has different ideas on how we display our collections. No one is right or wrong it's all good!

It's like choosing from the 3 below everyone has different tastes :mrgreen:
download.jpg

Erika Eleniak - Under Siege new 2.jpg

Attachments

• vicky-pollard-476386.jpg
    vicky-pollard-476386.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 812

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
yoda said:
I think we'll all agree everyone has different ideas on how we display our collections. No one is right or wrong it's all good!

Who's that last stunner?! PHWOAAARRRR!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Regardless of that, I wonder whether the owner of this MOC wishes they'd opened its AFA case?

Grading Strikes Again!.jpg

tigerham

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
yoda said:

Who's that last stunner?! PHWOAAARRRR!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Regardless of that, I wonder whether the owner of this MOC wishes they'd opened its AFA case?

Grading Strikes Again!.jpg

Very good point as I know from experience!

And yes, no one is right or wrong, just differences in taste, so to speak.

TK-7785

Jedi Master
yoda said:

download.jpg

Erika Eleniak - Under Siege new 2.jpg

Absolutely! Each to their own. Display how you want to display. But Vicky Pollard is the AFA equivalent, right. :lol: :wink:

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
I love graded items as it takes all the stress out of buying. I have been offered items with major flaws like ink touch ups, lifting bubbles and even reseals where the person still considers them C9. The flaws are not mentioned until I ask will it grade. Give me a graded acrylic tomb any day of the week!

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Wreck-It Ralph said:
I love graded items as it takes all the stress out of buying. I have been offered items with major flaws like ink touch ups, lifting bubbles and even reseals where the person still considers them C9. The flaws are not mentioned until I ask will it grade. Give me a graded acrylic tomb any day of the week!

Shame about those graded Toy Toni fakes then I guess, huh? :wink:

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
I don't collect any of that Toy Toni stuff so it doesn't affect me.

What I find most bizarre about grading are the collectors that buy graded items only to crack them out. Surely by buying a graded item you are supporting the industry you allegedly hate. What I find even more absurd are collectors who buy graded crack them out and then expect to sell them later for the graded price. Whether people like it or not a professionaly graded item is worth more than an ungraded item, if you want to retain its value then keep it in its Acrylic Tomb!

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I have to say I buy graded and ungraded and more of my ungraded MOC have been damaged than the graded ones. That's just my experience. Also regarding the TT graded MOC, we have to keep in mind that it was by chance that they were discovered not to be factory sealed and remember all origional factory parts were used.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom