When was the last time you saw a carded figure out in the wild?

TrooperWill

Padawan
Like a year ago in Glasgow. I went for a walk around the old antique shops.: A Palitoy boxed rebel transport, complete and box in good conditions. When I asked the guy for the price I was in shock: He asked for £20!

Obviously, I have got it

lucky git,

my local antiques shack has had one for ages, no box, missing the gun deck, the card inserts in **** condition and broken attachments on the trap door...... and he's after £80 for it! I have asked several times where they got that price from, guessing eBay! yet another idiot who read a daily mail article and thinks every loose beater will net him a few hundred quid....

and yet I got a complete, though slightly yellow falcon there for £45 a few years ago

Taffius

Sith Lord
A whole stall of them in Weston-super-mare carboot, mid 90s.
Not checked my local antique areas for years but planning to!

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Crumm said:
1988 in Blackpool.

I bought three from a guy selling them from a pop-up pasting table on the promenade.

Han Carbonite
Luke Poncho
R2D2 Sensorscope I think was the other one.

That's really interesting.

'94-'98 I was at University in Liverpool. It was the last time I really collected with a passion. I paid for some beer and all my SW by buying and selling SW. Picking up childhood collections for £40 was easy enough back then and I never ever paid over £100, no matter what was there. Ahhhh, the good old days.....Anyway, to the point: I cannot be 100% absolutely certain who told me the story but I'm pretty sure it was a guy who had a cool little toy booth in The Palace on Slater Street, Liverpool (anyone remember that? Brilliant place :) ). Anyway, the guy down there told me a mate of his (yep, always the start of a good yarn) had been walking along Blackpool seafront a few years earlier and come across an old chap selling stuff out of a suitcase (not a pasting table in this story). Amongst the bits were a handful of SW MOCs. He paid the chap whatever and the seller piped up "I've got some more of those". Apparently, the buyer arranged to meet the old fella the next day and is let into a warehouse (probably storeroom, but exaggeration in such stories is encouraged) where he found cases and cases of SW MOCs. He, apparently, bought the whole lot for about £5,000. It may have been £10k, I can't remember precisely.

What makes this story now more believable in my mind is the pretty precise location and that he specifically mentioned the last 17 when recounting it to me. I'd always told myself it sounded like BS but yours is the very first eye witness account of a street trader on Blackpool seafront :)

As an aside, I still have the Lego display sign "It's a New Toy Everyday" that the teller of this story had up in his shop. It was the same day he told me the story I persuaded him to sell it to me.

scooternick

Jedi Knight
These two were at cheddar car boot today. About 60 quid each I think. Zoomed out photo gives perspective

Attachments

• 20180422_095110.jpg
    20180422_095110.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 983
  • 20180422_095118.jpg
    20180422_095118.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 977

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Circa 1992 in Forbidden Planet in London. They had a whole rack of Tri-Logo MOCs, mostly ewoks, and I remember thinking the prices were outrageous... £8.99 if memory serves! They also had some Jedi boxed AT-AT's, which I think were around £50-£60, but I'm half-guessing on that price after all this time.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
scooternick said:
These two were at cheddar car boot today. About 60 quid each I think. Zoomed out photo gives perspective
Well spotted, you must have keen eyes.
I struggled to see them in the first picture.
Did you buy them?

scooternick

Jedi Knight
Ha ha. No, they were a bit too beaten for me but probably a fair price. Bet the guy was glad it didn't rain!
Mini99 said:
scooternick said:
Well spotted, you must have keen eyes.
I struggled to see them in the first picture.
Did you buy them?

Starrider

Youngling
Cant remember any figures on regular toy shelves past the late 1980's, but I distinctly remember a mint boxed AT AT sitting unwanted for years in a toy shop called Dines in Grimsby, it was there till around 1993 priced at £29.99. Sadly I hadnt got back into Star Wars at the time so didnt show much interest. The same shop had Masters of the Universe figures till the mid nineties and I remember taking a punt on two mint carded Battle Armour He Man figures at 50p each. Unfortunately I passed on a Dragon Blaster Skeletor for £1.50 because it had a small rip to the card.
I later sold the He Man figures when interest was just returning in the early noughties but if I'd held onto them about another ten years I'd have got a really significant return on that £1 investment.

Crumm

Padawan
ScruffyLookingNH said:
Crumm said:
1988 in Blackpool.

I bought three from a guy selling them from a pop-up pasting table on the promenade.

Han Carbonite
Luke Poncho
R2D2 Sensorscope I think was the other one.

That's really interesting.

'94-'98 I was at University in Liverpool. It was the last time I really collected with a passion. I paid for some beer and all my SW by buying and selling SW. Picking up childhood collections for £40 was easy enough back then and I never ever paid over £100, no matter what was there. Ahhhh, the good old days.....Anyway, to the point: I cannot be 100% absolutely certain who told me the story but I'm pretty sure it was a guy who had a cool little toy booth in The Palace on Slater Street, Liverpool (anyone remember that? Brilliant place :) ). Anyway, the guy down there told me a mate of his (yep, always the start of a good yarn) had been walking along Blackpool seafront a few years earlier and come across an old chap selling stuff out of a suitcase (not a pasting table in this story). Amongst the bits were a handful of SW MOCs. He paid the chap whatever and the seller piped up "I've got some more of those". Apparently, the buyer arranged to meet the old fella the next day and is let into a warehouse (probably storeroom, but exaggeration in such stories is encouraged) where he found cases and cases of SW MOCs. He, apparently, bought the whole lot for about £5,000. It may have been £10k, I can't remember precisely.

What makes this story now more believable in my mind is the pretty precise location and that he specifically mentioned the last 17 when recounting it to me. I'd always told myself it sounded like BS but yours is the very first eye witness account of a street trader on Blackpool seafront :)

As an aside, I still have the Lego display sign "It's a New Toy Everyday" that the teller of this story had up in his shop. It was the same day he told me the story I persuaded him to sell it to me.

Nice one! glad I could help verify the story you heard!

The guy selling in Blackpool was right next to Tussaud's Waxworks if I remember correctly, and most of the stuff he had was indeed last 17 (I do remember that, as I purchased two of them :D ). He did have a fair amount of figures on display when I bought from him, I would say about 50 or 60.

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
Not SW, but in early 90's they had racks of Transformers G1 carded Cliffjumpers for a pound each in B&M Bargains in Southport. I bought two and saved them for many years selling them around 2005 for about £40 each.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom