General Grumbling

lee gray

Sith Lord
There are some people who like grading and some who hate it. what i hate is everytime theres some sort of grading discussion, you will always get those people who cant resist calling someone a moron for having graded items and try to bellittle them, yet u never hear a pro grade person call a grade hater a moron so maybe the pro graders are better people lol. People should be able to collect how they like.

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
lee gray said:
There are some people who like grading and some who hate it. what i hate is everytime theres some sort of grading discussion, you will always get those people who cant resist calling someone a moron for having graded items and try to bellittle them, yet u never hear a pro grade person call a grade hater a moron so maybe the pro graders are better people lol. People should be able to collect how they like.

I agree, you should be able to collect how you like, some people are privileged to be able to afford MOC figures, some graded. I personally prefer loose figures and whatever else catches my eye or I am interested in. Star Wars Hot wheels are a favourite of mine.

Each to their own that's what I say 8)

lee gray

Sith Lord
Mr-shifter said:
indianawars said:
I cannot stand people that try to profit from postage costs... especially overseas.

I miss pete gowdy...........
its like those who try to sell on fb groups for ebay prices and also want you to pay the 4 percent paypal fees when its not even 4 percent. just price the item a bit higher so u dont look like u r a greedy bugger

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
lee gray said:

He's alive!! And still grumpy! :lol:

Mr-shifter said:
I miss pete gowdy...........

Meh, we have too many Spurs fans on here already lol.
Nah, I agree, come back Pete. 8)

TrooperWill

Padawan
that seller needs negging, best thing is he cant follow through with his threat to neg you back.

shocking that this keeps happening.

grading, and the constant debate on it wears a bit thin after a while though. only really needs commenting on when someone takes the piss and asked 10x the price just because someone glued it into a plastic coffin.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
lee gray said:

I agree that nobody deserves to be belittled or insulted. But I do genuinely believe grading is a bad thing. It artificially inflates prices, they have proven time and time again they are incompetent at authenticating anything (Toy Toni, baggiegate etc) and they are wildly inconsistent, I saw somebody post an AFA 80 Luke Farmboy trilogo on Facebook last week that looked like somebody had sat on the bubble. So they have no credibility, that is a fact. Not subjective like I prefer Han or Luke or Leia, it's a fact. So if you can't rely on the authentication or the given grade, people who chase graded stuff collect numbers printed on a sticker, nothing more.

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
lee gray said:

That sounds to me a lot like left/right wing. Only substitute graded for right and non graders for the self righteous left. :lol:

indianawars

Sith Lord
*WARNING. THE FLOWING STATEMENT CONTAINS THEMES OF A GRUMBLING NATURE THAT SOME READERS MAY FIND DISTURBING.*

Rude and abrupt messages on eBay really piss me off :evil: Since when were common manners deemed unnecessary? I woke up this morning to a message that simply read, "I'll pay £15 for this." Seriously, that was it! No hi, no please, no nothing!

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
indianawars said:
*WARNING. THE FLOWING STATEMENT CONTAINS THEMES OF A GRUMBLING NATURE THAT SOME READERS MAY FIND DISTURBING.*

Rude and abrupt messages on eBay really piss me off :evil: Since when were common manners deemed unnecessary? I woke up this morning to a message that simply read, "I'll pay £15 for this." Seriously, that was it! No hi, no please, no nothing!

Right there with you! More and more ebayers seem to think it's going to win them favour with me by being ignorant and rude. Newsflash: principle before pennies and even if your offer had been acceptable I will now ignore it.

Damien, you should message back asking how much they'll pay if you throw in "Etiquette 101" as well....

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
ScruffyLookingNH said:
indianawars said:

Right there with you! More and more ebayers seem to think it's going to win them favour with me by being ignorant and rude. Newsflash: principle before pennies and even if your offer had been acceptable I will now ignore it.

Damien, you should message back asking how much they'll pay if you throw in "Etiquette 101" as well....
I quite agree. These people are as rude as they are stupid. Did no-one ever teach them that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar? ;-)

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Snaketibe said:
ScruffyLookingNH said:
indianawars said:

I quite agree. These people are as rude as they are stupid. Did no-one ever teach them that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar? ;-)
Do you not think that this is a reflection on the world we live in. :?
A generalisation I know but "It's all about me" there is no thought for anyone but themselves.
That's why I love this Forum, I have never met anyone on here with this mentality, this is a very special place.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Mini99 said:
Snaketibe said:
ScruffyLookingNH said:

Do you not think that this is a reflection on the world we live in. :?
A generalisation I know but "It's all about me" there is no thought for anyone but themselves.
That's why I love this Forum, I have never met anyone on here with this mentality, this is a very special place.
I'm sure there have always been plenty of rude, stupid and selfish people in the world (along with plenty of decent, kind, polite and intelligent ones), however the big difference these days is the internet. It increases their visibility by giving a platform to everyone, good and bad, dim and bright, educated and ignorant, to voice whatever views they care to, and to also easily communicate with people they would never otherwise have had any contact with.

However, I also definitely think Governments / politicians could and should be doing far more to set a better example of how to behave, as bad, corrupt, selfish, childish and unjust behaviour can't help but filter down through society, and not everyone has the skill or wit to rise above it and see the wood for the trees when it comes to knowing what is and isn't generally acceptable.

lejackal

Grand Master
People that ask for extra photos and don't bother saying thank you when you provide them are on the lengthy list of things that get on my tits

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
I hate all the private sales as it makes it impossible to determine whether you have over payed or not. There are virtually no recorded sales for rare Palitoy MOC.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
I find the anti grading brigade quite comical as many of them buy graded pieces and crack them open afterwards thereby supporting the very industry they allegedly hate. Then you have another group who are anti grading right up to the point where they want to sell and all those anti grading posts are forgotten and it's off to UKG.

TrooperWill

Padawan
by lejackal » Mon May 28, 2018 7:14 pm

People that ask for extra photos and don't bother saying thank you when you provide them are on the lengthy list of things that get on my tits

you sound like me, a list that grows longer with every passing day :wink:

I find the anti grading brigade quite comical as many of them buy graded pieces and crack them open afterwards thereby supporting the very industry they allegedly hate. Then you have another group who are anti grading right up to the point where they want to sell and all those anti grading posts are forgotten and it's off to UKG.

i think grading is here to stay. i must admit i dont see the point myself, and should point out that Edd made some very relevant points up above, so as you say, at least it provides entertainment.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Wreck-It Ralph said:

The pro grading/anti grading arguments are as old as grading itself. Just as the anti grading brigade cracks them out, the pro grading brigade put them back in. Live and let live I guess.

BUT

There is still one company that u grades. Just bear that in mind when you are choosing who to get to grade an item. Let's all be responsible, kids. ;)

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
The grading argument does annoy me as well mainly because it devides the collecting community and I feel collectors who don't like grading judge collectors who do and put them in the same bracket that all grading collectors only collect the labels. This is true for a lot but not all.

The Toy Toni thing makes me laugh as well, origional parts all assembled together and the grading company's should have known this before any of the collecting experts did. Your just sending your stuff to other human's who make mistakes, not a supreme being. How they missed the v iron marks at the bottom of the bubble seal is a shocker.

It's funny as well when a graded item gets damaged and that is automatically because it's graded that it got damaged, items never ever got damaged before grading was invented? I buy ungraded, graded and I send stuff to be graded and in my experience items that aren't graded are more prone to being damaged. How many items have been saved from damage because they are graded?, know-one knows because they don't get damaged! :lol:

Grading has inflated prices, but that's down to dealers as well insisting that an item with a high grade is worth 3 times what it was before grading and collectors pay it! Grading has certainly attracted new collectors with limited knowledge but unlimited resources which is a real shame for the hobby. Also if you use UKG or AFA to search for stuff on eBay you don't have to sift through half as much crap stuff.

All that said the company that still u grades should obviously have stopped a long time ago although the damage has already been done it would Still be a positive step if they stopped. I see the grading company's as an option that improves the way collections can be displayed and help collectors learn what they have. The grading is bollocks but you get a rough idea what condition the item your buying is in. It's by no means the be all and end all of my collection and not all my MOC's are graded and their is room for improvement especially with AFA, that's an understatement! It's just a shame how people exploit grading, but it's human nature I guess.

Tony jedi

Padawan
A few things actually. for a start repro crap. The same old excuse that a lot of sellers at boot fairs cons etc use"its old and its star wars" to justify the high prices. Graded items whats that about? Variants are a pain too not that i bother with them im happy with just ONE example of each figure and im done. but the logic of people that have 500 plus copies of the SAME figure is beyond me. i know its a case of each to their own but it goes back to pricing of things. Figure A is a lot more than figure B just because there is a paint difference or it was made in a different factory to the other one. The amount of beaters out there is staggering. I played with my figures when i was younger but i still looked after them, the state of some beaters i see at boot fairs and cons and on feebay is just mind boggling. its staggering as to how much focus and attention to the most trivial of details there are out there. And the amount of incomplete stuff thats out there....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom