Header image

Full MOC run

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Clarkspie&chips
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Full MOC run

Postby Clarkspie&chips » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:12 pm

I recently landed the very last MOC I wanted to complete the various runs I was interested in which brought my tally up to 48 characters - half of the full run.
Whilst my intention was to stop at this point, the temptation to carry on and go for the lot is quite alluring! It would certainly be a cheaper half to collet but would mean having to buy a lot of cards I really have no desire to own individually.

Im not after advice as I’m pretty sure I’ll stay put, but I wondered what other collectors thoughts were and how strong the urge would be to own a full run/set?

Shelling out for a madine must be such a quandary for the trilogo boys!

jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: Full MOC run

Postby jayums » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:07 pm

I think that’s the downside of collecting runs maybe?

Not quite in the same league I know, but I’ve nearly completed a very budget first 12 on any card inc reseals and I’ve got Jawa to get.

I’d rather spend the limited funds I have on other mocs and figures I like more, so i feel it becomes a bit of a chore rather than a pleasure?!

(But that said, if you’ve got a Jawa moc you wanna sell really cheaply, do feel free to PM me :lol: )

I think if I got to 48 and uncertain about what to do I’d just pick up bargains as and when they appear and are too good to turn down. The rest of the time I’d just look smug due to my epic collection :lol:

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:24 pm

I also try to do a full run, but most of the moc I have bought have been the cheaper ones and the more expensive ones are the ones I am missing. Not many left for £100 or less that I miss :(

I still miss about 40 then I have all 96. If I ever get the last 40 then I will maybe try to get the droids and ewoks since I also allready have some of them :lol:

I think there is still many cool figures after the first 48. But then again I also love Ewoks :lol: The only figures that I do not think is cool after the first 48 is Anakin, Prune Face, General Madine, Rebel Commando, Rancor Keeper, Han Solo Carbonite and Imperial Dignitary :lol:

theforceuk
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby theforceuk » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:07 pm

Do it, it's the dream! I want to do it as close to debut cards as possible, but there are some I can't see me getting. Boba Fett, Anakin Skywalker and Yakface are the obviouse concerns. :lol: I kind of like the impossible challenge though, as I know it will be a liittle sad in a strange way if I ever do it.
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

Clarkspie&chips
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Clarkspie&chips » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:09 pm

That’s a good shout to chip away at a run by picking up bargains where you can, there’s something so much more satisfying about spending time waiting for the right piece to come up.

Lars, why don’t you trade some ewoks and droids Mocs for the ones you’re missing? You could probably tick off at least 20 if you have a fett :lol:
BTW, the ones I have are mixed from over the full run not just the first half.

Clarkspie&chips
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Clarkspie&chips » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:13 pm

theforceuk wrote:Do it, it's the dream! I want to do it as close to debut cards as possible, but there are some I can't see me getting. Boba Fett, Anakin Skywalker and Yakface are the obviouse concerns. :lol: I kind of like the impossible challenge though, as I know it will be a liittle sad in a strange way if I ever do it.

I have been lucky enough to see a full run in the flesh and it was an awe inspiring sight but to do it on debut cards would be an Olympian sized challenge! How far off are you?

Mr-shifter
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Mr-shifter » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:22 pm

Hey Scott. Hope you are well.

This used to be my goal, one character on any card.

I ended up resenting my collecting a little. I was buying stuff I didn’t want because I had to tick boxes and it really sucks the fun out of it.

Yak face was always my Achilles. Always available, and always overpriced. I’m so glad I never got one.

I have sold all the stuff I didn’t want, and have refined my collection down to what I actually like. I only have 6 Kenner cards now, out of about 60 Mocs, and I have several far rarer trilogos, Luke farm boy, Luke bespin, Luke hoth, erg, to name a few, that are far rarer and cooler than yak face ever was, and I didn’t pay more for one than the shittiest yakni was ever offered. In fact most cost less than a nice resell that did the rounds on here a while back.

I have come to realise you need to collect what makes you happy, not what you think you should.
WANTED: The following speederbikes. I would like them boxed but open and complete. I need:

Meccano stickered bike
Pbp stickered bilogo
Danish stickered bilogo
Special offer uk bilogo

SublevelStudios
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby SublevelStudios » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:59 pm

Mr-shifter wrote:I have come to realise you need to collect what makes you happy, not what you think you should.

This should be number 1 of the 'ten commandments of collecting'.

Fuck knows what the other 9 are though.

Maybe 'Thou shalt not buy repro' should be on there for seconds.

theforceuk
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby theforceuk » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:10 pm

Clarkspie&chips wrote:
theforceuk wrote:Do it, it's the dream! I want to do it as close to debut cards as possible, but there are some I can't see me getting. Boba Fett, Anakin Skywalker and Yakface are the obviouse concerns. :lol: I kind of like the impossible challenge though, as I know it will be a liittle sad in a strange way if I ever do it.

I have been lucky enough to see a full run in the flesh and it was an awe inspiring sight but to do it on debut cards would be an Olympian sized challenge! How far off are you?

That must be some sight! I have 59 now, not all pure debut cards as in a, b and c. I don't have deep enough pockets for that.

I agree you should collect what makes you happy, I realised one day that I had been collecting most of my life but had never completed a run. Decided to go for the 12 backs and then the 20 backs and that's how the full run 'obsession' started for me. This year I have slowed right down, but will be back to it soon. Just going to see how far I can go really. Last year I picked up a 31a Bossk which is one of the rarest Kenner debut MOC if not the rarest, so you never know what's around the corner.
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:16 pm

Just to echo what has already been said, when I got back into collecting again I bought because I felt I had to because I didn’t have that MOC.
Now I am only buying what makes me happy to own, no runs, no list, no nothing! :wink:
I couldn’t have sumed it up better
I have come to realise you need to collect what makes you happy, not what you think you should.

What ever you decide to do enjoy it!

MarkG
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby MarkG » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:20 pm

I owned a full 96 set up till 2003... sold them off as I went in a different direction.. always regretted it as had some real gems in there... but also a fair few TTs that wasn't world news back then too.

Now owing my second set is a mixture of thoughts.... since having our little one the temptation to sell up is highly likely in the near future but also I know I'll regret it again...

Might have to find another 'cheaper' focus if they do go.
Wanted - Boxed Lili Ledy Speeder Bike

Plastikheld
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Plastikheld » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:36 pm

For me it's the same, but still working on some small runs.
I think a full MOC run (one of every character counts for me) would be nice, but it had to happen coincidentally.
I would not hunt down for the last 10 or 15 cards and spending a fortune on those.
... let's see how I think about it, when there are 10 MOCs missing for a full run. :wink:
There's so much cool stuff in the hobby to collect.
http://www.condition10.de | Diary of a Star Wars Action-Figure Collector | Follow me on Image

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:26 am

I must admit I'm starting to think do I really need them all. I had a full set about 10 years ago, and I'm currently one away again (just need a fixed limbs 3PO.) But MOCs take up so much space I'm starting to think about thinning out. I'm never going to complete the trilogo run as I won't pay 10 grand for a Madine.

That's another moan of mine, why are star cases so deep? There aren't any vintage figures with bubbles six inches deep. If star cases were only a couple of CM deep which would fit 99% of vintage MOCs, it would more than halve the amount of storage space they take up.

Clarkspie&chips
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Clarkspie&chips » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:29 am

I thought I wouldn’t be the only one feeling the temptation of collecting them all, Kenner’s marketing executives did such a good job they still have us under their spell 40 years later!

You’re absolutely right though Ben, tick box collecting can easily become a drag, especially when individual items are overpriced or lacklustre. But the joy (and relief!) of finally ticking them all off and looking at a completed run somehow appeals to me more than the individual parts so I can totally understand the desire to go all the way.

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:31 am

Clarkspie&chips wrote:That’s a good shout to chip away at a run by picking up bargains where you can, there’s something so much more satisfying about spending time waiting for the right piece to come up.

Lars, why don’t you trade some ewoks and droids Mocs for the ones you’re missing? You could probably tick off at least 20 if you have a fett :lol:
BTW, the ones I have are mixed from over the full run not just the first half.

Well I have never thought about trade or selling the Ewoks or Droid moc that I have. I even have 2, 3 or 4 moc of the same figure between some of the moc I have, but they are not with the same cardback. But I could also sell or trade them to get some of the last 40 that I am missing. But I must admit so far I can't do it, It just fell wrong to sell or trade them away at the moment. But I have traded my 3 potf moc to a tri-logo and a meccano moc because potf moc do not mean anything to me since I did not see any in my childhood. I never saw potf for sale in denmark in the 80s. Sorry no fett, could be cool to have a Fett :D I have Kea Moll, Kez Iban, Thall Joben and King Gorneesh moc.

Mine are also mixed, but most of them is ROTJ or Tri-logo I also have some ESB, but I do not have any SW moc.

I have been waiting for bargains so far it has taken me 17 years to get the moc I have and I have done a few bargains. The best was a lot of about 35 moc where I could use most of them in my collection.

So have you thought about what you would do ?

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”