Should grading companies archive/case reproductions?

Should grading companies archive/case reproductions?

• No - repros should not be acknowledged by grading companies

Votes: 62 91.2%
  • Yes - better for fakes to be labelled than not

Votes: 6 8.8%

• Total voters

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Never acknowledge fakes or repros! I don't see why this is about money, if I set up a grading company I would charge for every item sent in to be graded, regardless of if it's fake or not. At least this would stop some numptease sending fake and repro stuff in, when they know full well it's fake.

If CAS want to put their name on fake stuff, I say let them. If your that stupid to even consider this you deserve the outcome. :oops:

AFA and UKG must be pissing themselves!

_Lee_

Sith Lord
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w9A-Bde9jzw

Another poll should be done in this way :D

Am i right in saying that Ross Barr is part of CAS?? Its very surprising to me if he has ok,d this.

i think the idea of grading a repro is the lowest of anything a grading service has done. As soon as the spunk bubbles se e another way of making money nothing else matters.

its not worth wasting your time anymore. Just collect what you want. Its the way of the world now.

TK-7785

Jedi Master
I've said it before and I'll say it again...gradng, what an absolute bucket of arse!

First we had U grading, then graded Toy Tonis, untold examples of various fakes slipping through the "experts" and getting graded. And now this.

What an utter farce; paying to have some repro **** encased in plastic to confirm for all to see that you own a piece of repro ****...in plastic. Just stick it in a star case you bloody knob head!

lejackal

Grand Master
Interestingly the ones that were being sold in CAS archival cases with the stickers for 2K each are now listed by the same seller for 2-300 each and crucially now in GW type cases :?:
Anyone with a slightly suspicious mind might think the seller is linked to someone at CAS.....
https://www.mercari.com/u/511186031/

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Clarkspie&chips said:
Can anyone post a pic of what they've done for us non-Facebook users?
The first two are the labels in question and the third pic is what one scammer has then done with his newly authenticated and cased CAS item.

The CAS labels detail how the bubble and card Back are reproduction, but make no mention of the figure inside. £2,000 is a lot for a Vader when you know the bubble and card are reproduction, but they also have a VCJ and the lack of information on the figure enables the eBay seller to prey on the newbie seller.

It is unclear from the posts on FB if the figure is authentic and so far CAS have not responded to direct questions regarding this matter, but clearly the lack of info has enabled the seller to suggest it is an authentic VCJ.

Attachments

• 3E56F81A-074D-425B-8F1B-DE40BF94A4FB.jpeg
    3E56F81A-074D-425B-8F1B-DE40BF94A4FB.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,056
  • B462BBAD-97A9-4570-9F82-82A25BD5FFD4.jpeg
    B462BBAD-97A9-4570-9F82-82A25BD5FFD4.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,048
  • D5B3BED2-2F6E-4E06-8BA6-B8307E4F6041.jpeg
    D5B3BED2-2F6E-4E06-8BA6-B8307E4F6041.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,048

laurencedyer

Jedi Knight
For me this is a bad bad idea and from me this is a resounding no.

Now going slightly off topic as this thread is regarding the grading of reproductions which they clearly label as such, but what happens when items such as Toy Toni's that were previously graded as authentic turn out not to be.

The questions on my mind which are prominent at this moment in time due to the Woolworths pack research concerns the UKG graded packs.

UKG made the decision to withdraw the grading of all Woolworths packs a couple of months ago due to the concerns bought to their attention.
The points made were the initial concerns that had been discovered regarding two blatantly different fonts.

Since then the observation post has been released, a post of the researched comparisons that as far as I know have all been uncontested in the community which I deduce to be correct that there has been a style of pack reproduced.

The question's in my mind are:-

1. Has UKG viewed the post?, I would imagine so as I would imagine they would have received numerous enquires from collectors with regards to their own packs of Suspect creation having been graded and authenticated by them.

2. If they have viewed the research then do they accept the findings as the whole of the community seems to have?

3. Assuming they have viewed the research and they have also accepted the findings as being correct then will they be making the service of grading the packs available again as they will now know how to authenticate the Palitoy packs?

This leads me onto the archival database.

Now again, assuming that UKG have accepted the findings then what happens to the information detailed on their website with regards to the Suspect packs archival numbers and the description that follows?

The following detail is how the graded packs information is presented when you search the database.

This is the description of one of the authentic packs that has been graded on their archival system and followed by images of the pack.

Ref Number: SW010007
Toy Description: STAR WARS WOOLWORTHS 8 PACK 8D8,CHIEF CHIRPA,BOBA FETT NIKTO,PRINCESS LEIA BATTLE PONCHO DARTH VADER,PRUNE FACE,LUKE JEDI CIRCA 1985 SPECIAL BUY 99P
Graded Code: 90%

Archival no SW010007 2 - Copy.jpg

Palitoy UKG graded pack.jpg

Palitoy UKG graded pack label.jpg

This is the description of one of the Suspect packs that has been graded on their archival system and followed by images of the pack.

Ref Number: SW010298
Toy Description: STAR WARS WOOLWORTHS 8 PACK WEEQUAY/JAWA/BOBA FETT SQUID HEAD/HAMMERHEAD NIKTO/GENERAL MADINE/NIEN NUMB SPECIAL BUY 99P CIRCA 1985
Graded Code: 90%

Archival no SW010298 2 - Copy.jpg

Suspicious UKG graded pack.jpg

Suspicious UKG graded pack label.jpg

Making the assumption that UKG have viewed and accept the research, do they update each Suspect archival information with a comment that the pack is deemed as suspicious or even fake or does the information remain unchanged?

Richard_H

Grand Master
CAS have reached out to the owner of these items to have them removed. The practice has stopped.

Quote - CAS

What a day. As explained in detail below, we have heard and respect the feedback from the community even when some of it was hard to hear, and will immediately cease providing any CAS label that in any way marks or otherwise identifies reproduction items - such items will be rejected for grading and returned to the customer in a sliding bottom case. The community has spoken, and we have listened. As we always will. That means the poll we posted earlier today has been suspended and action will be taken now.

Now the facts. The gentleman that submitted these five carded figures (there are ONLY five at issue with this designation, including the Vader and VCJ folks have been sharing images of) submitted them in person to us at a show. He was up front that they were reproductions. We were told they were a gift from his mother some time back, that he didn't want to deceive anyone, but merely wanted to give these gifts a display worthy of their origin from his mom, and wanted them clearly marked and identified as reproductions on the label. So we believed the story and obliged the request, and most importantly were sure to clearly mark them as reproductions on the label. With no grade. This was done just earlier this month.

As a result of this experience, we also contemplated marking any items submitted to us as legitimate but that are in fact rejected as reproductions with a similar label - no grade and marking them as repros.

But the community has spoken. A practice we initially thought would be embraced by the community - a clear system for marking reproductions for what they are and limiting their ability to fool folks - has clearly been shown to us today to be something the masses think could have the opposite effect. We have heard you loud and clear.

To take an extra step, we have convinced the gentleman who submitted the five reproduction figures to us to return them to us so we can remove them from the cases or otherwise do so himself and provide us proof, which we think solves that problem by putting the proverbial toothpaste back into the tube. We are compensating him above and beyond merely just a credit for what he paid for these items as a thanks to him for helping us make this right.

CAS is a company composed of collectors like you that merely want to provide positive services to the community we all love and participate in. But we are also human and make mistakes or otherwise may misjudge how folks perceive our actions. But we will always endeavor to do the right thing, and hope with this swift response we are in fact doing so.

Thanks as always for your support. We will never stop doing whatever we can to repay that support.

lejackal

Grand Master
Richard_H said:
CAS have reached out to the owner of these items to have them removed. The practice has not stopped.

So that's why they are relisted in slide bottom cases now then

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Why you need to ask anyone in the first place if this is a good idea is beyond me. I've got a water butt in my garden and I've been thinking about drilling a hole in the bottom. What do you think I should do leave it as is or drill the hole?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
They made the right decision, but it will definitely have done their reputation a bit of damage. Saying that, the fact one of the owners has owed dozens of people thousands of dollars for over a decade for a book he never delivered didn't seem to stop people using them anyway.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
:lol: I forgot about that, here you go, here's thousands of pounds worth of toys I can trust you right.......?

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Grant_C said:
Tarkin's nosehair said:
I've got a water butt in my garden and I've been thinking about drilling a hole in the bottom. What do you think I should do leave it as is or drill the hole?
I say drill it :lol:

Use dynamite.

Pew, Pew, Pew

What you need is a poll. I will give you the two options a la yesterday's Facebook poll:

Should I extract the water from the butt in my garden:

A) from the top

B) from the bottom

That's perfectly clear, right?

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Mr-shifter said:
Grant_C said:
Tarkin's nosehair said:
I say drill it :lol:

Use dynamite.

Pew, Pew, Pew

What you need is a poll. I will give you the two options a la yesterday's Facebook poll:

A) from the top

B) from the bottom

I think you're all missing the point. Surely the entire water butt and its contents should be permanently archived inside a sealed perspex case to prevent the water being stolen.

TK-7785

Jedi Master
Snaketibe said:
Mr-shifter said:
Grant_C said:
Use dynamite.

Pew, Pew, Pew

A) from the top

B) from the bottom

I think you're all missing the point. Surely the entire water butt and its contents should be permanently archived inside a sealed perspex case to prevent the water being stolen.

You mean so the next potential buyer knows the water is reproduction.

Latest posts

Top Bottom