Palitoy landfill

mattholt76

Youngling
Hey folks, just a note to say we are still here and still following up on leads when we can. Had to turn our attention
to our paid projects but looking to make some more progress on "In a Landfill" this summer.

I just spotted we popped up in THE VINTAGE REBELLION : Episode 52 LAUNCHED last October. It was great to hear the discussion and
that the trailer we made has had some views. (1172 on Youtube at the time of writing)

My work took me to L.A earlier this year. I dropped into the "Scum & Villainy Cantina in Hollywood and interviewed an American guy who had heard the myth
across the pond! We recorded a little interview as he was quite a character with a patch over his eye. It's a great destination for Star Wars fans if you ever
find yourself stateside:
https://scumandvillainycantina.com/

I will try and keep you posted with any more developments as they happen but also please feel free to throw any leads or possible interviews our way
so we can keep adding to the story

[email protected]

all the best
Matt

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Nice trailer, snappy editing. This is like one I saw about the Atari E.T game but about 10x more exciting because it's about Vintage Star Wars. The stuff is out there somewhere.. if it wasn't incinerated, it must be there!

mattholt76

Youngling
Robstyley said:
Nice trailer, snappy editing. This is like one I saw about the Atari E.T game but about 10x more exciting because it's about Vintage Star Wars. The stuff is out there somewhere.. if it wasn't incinerated, it must be there!

Thanks for the kind words and thanks for watching! Yes the Atari doco has inspired us a bit, although I don't think we'll get the Arizona sun for our expedition :-D
Main thing is to try and make it fun to watch and hopefully uncover more than just the figures if you get me

JKF

Found this thread after reading again about the Atari find & wondering what became of similar buried Palitoy rumours, interesting to hear people following up on this seriously! Even found myself namechecked earlier on in the discussion :)

Digging up or drilling into old landfills was something I used to do quite often in my last job. Always quite interesting finding old crisp packets from long extinct brands and relatively intact newspapers. I did get a piece of Lego out of one in the Lake District a couple of years ago which I took home, but sadly no Star Wars.

Condition of anything surviving will just be down to how well the landfill was constructed and managed, how wet it was at the time of infilling etc. Rules have tightened over the years, one from the mid 80s might not be too bad. From experience some are bone dry with quite fragile paper pieces surviving, others are just a dark mush with occasional identifiable objects. A concern will be what else has been deposited there - anything like asbestos and it'll be a non-starter recovering things just on cost grounds. Also you always find people with strange tales about these places, so treat rumours with a degree of skepticism (one up in Cheshire next to a chemical works was alleged to have had barrels containing still-alive laboratory monkeys deposited there in the middle of the night, that kind of bollocks). Unfortunately the Environment Agency website which used to list basic details of operating periods of sites and permitted wastes is no longer operating, but you can see maps of the position of old sites with dates at groundsure.io - I've had a look at Lount where two large sites are shown (one municipal, one private) with a few smaller sites dotted around the area.

Happy to provide any advice on this, if you need someone to watch over a drilling rig or trial pits that could recognise obscure SW related bits of plastic in the sample tube I'm probably your man!

JF

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom