How does collecting compare to a year ago?

Taffius

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
Taffius said:
A lot has gone via fb groups as not even a hint of interest here.

Yes I'm afraid that although visitor numbers and activity on the forum hasn't been too badly affected by FB, the sales forum definitely has. I think it is just the ease of posting stuff on Facebook that is attractive, especially how you can post to multiple groups at the same time.

Perhaps use the SWF FB page has a full selling platform or link members to sales posts here as notifications seem quicker (or is that just my settings and preference?). Some I see do it and tagging members in, helps with notifications.

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
xbomber said:
peekaygee73 said:
The evilbay thing is pathetic, where do people think the majority of stuff being sold on fb comes from?
Playing on people's fear a little I think.

Definitely. Keep the population under control using biased or misleading information to create fear and promote a particular cause or POV. That's propaganda isnt it?

Richard_H

Grand Master
Far more people are falling out with the hobby IMO and for these reasons:

Collectors buying their 'dream' items and flogging them within 12 months for 3x (or more) the original price that they haggled down
Prices are starting to stabilise and come down a bit. Some though can't see it due to ^
Collectors being from vectis or other auction houses to flip
Friends of admins of FB groups being caught doing unscrupulous things but not enforcing action
Mood hoovers sucking the life out of collecting by whinging and bringing up the same tired arguments

Yet, many people are still enjoying it and looking forward to:

Celebration chicago
FF
non-action figure related items like Beyond The Toys

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
xbomber said:
You're not missing much Edd. Lots of back slapping and ego massaging. One growing trend that's surprised me, is the fact that most of the deals now being made aren't via PayPal or even trades any more.

On echo (and presumably other Facebook groups) they've just progressed to having sex with each other to pay for card backs and ewok catapults and stuff.

It's actually fine and I'm a progressive person so don't see it as an issue as such but when you're browsing while having your corn flakes in a morning and it's all "I'll eat out this" and "you can do this to my whatsit" it's a bit early in the day you know?

Otherwise it's all "as you were".

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ruby2511

Sith Lord
I am always on Ebay looking for affordable figures and ships.

Recently picked up a loose 77 R2 with original sticker, sensorscope and in pretty good condition for £10.50.

So pretty pleased with that 8)

Compared to a year ago, I feel prices are pretty good especially when on a budget like me. I like to take time and effort when adding to my collection and quite enjoy seeing whats for sale :lol:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Richard_H said:
Friends of admins of FB groups being caught doing unscrupulous things but not enforcing action

The incident you're referring to is truly shocking Rich. I got a grilling for supporting the outing of a scammer on here, and on FB the admins bail said scammers out :eek:

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Facebook is Facebook. It's designed to bring people together yet all it ever does is cause trouble. Whether it be collecting or personal relationships.
I've turned all of the notifications off and still follow a few groups but not too many that it becomes overwhelming. I use it, it doesn't use me. I've personally not had any problems with Facebook and must say I really enjoyed Echo Live. I still prefer the forum as it just seems a bit more grounded in the real world. There are arseholes on Facebook but also some nice people, it's manoeuvring the annoying people I guess. My collecting over the past year has definitely slowed due to two reasons. Firstly I haven't had a lot of spare cash and secondly the items I want cost a little more than I was spending. My interest and enjoyment of the hobby has increased I would say over the last year. The only negative I would say is, the further down the collecting road you go, the more expensive the pieces get and it doesn't help that you budget for something only to find out it's gone up after a few months. There are still bargains out there I'm sure, it's just about biding your time and hoping for a bit of luck.

subzero

Sith Lord
Dannywhiteley said:
xbomber said:
peekaygee73 said:
The evilbay thing is pathetic, where do people think the majority of stuff being sold on fb comes from?

Definitely. Keep the population under control using biased or misleading information to create fear and promote a particular cause or POV. That's propaganda isnt it?

I got into a disagreement with an admin ( who PM'd me ) on Echo Base before I left just for mentioning the word 'ebay' on someones post and suggesting that good bargains can be found on there. After telling the admin why I think it's stupid to not be allowed to even mention ebay his exact response was.. "why would we promote the competition?"

Yep, that says it all!

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
subzero said:
Dannywhiteley said:
xbomber said:

I got into a disagreement with an admin ( who PM'd me ) on Echo Base before I left just for mentioning the word 'ebay' on someones post and suggesting that good bargains can be found on there. After telling the admin why I think it's stupid to not be allowed to even mention ebay his exact response was.. "why would we promote the competition?"

Yep, that says it all!

Can imagine who that admin was. Proper weapon.

MrGudz

Jedi Master
Supporter
It's strange how a certain Facebook groups name keeps popping up all the time. I try and avoid going on there now as I dislike the tone and elitist attitude that rears its ugly head on there.
At least with the forum everyone enjoys each other's collections for what they are and it isn't a game of who's got the deepest pockets.

TK-7785

Jedi Master
I only created a Facebook account within the last year purely for the collecting groups and to keep in the loop with other collectors. I've never liked Facebook and how invasive it can be, not to mention the cliquiness that follows a lot of the groups. Which is why I prefer the forum by far. To me it provides exactly what a hobby like ours needs; a platform for discussion, learning, sharing knowledge and making friends. I'm not saying the FB groups don't offer any of that, it just seems you have to wade through all the circle jerking and mutual rimming in order to find the worthwhile content.

Personally, compared to a year ago I am being far more selective over what I collect. I'm certainly not buying up all the goodies I can find. That may be as much to do with my own personal reflection on what and why I collect as it is to do with how my collection has built up over the year and market forces. I hear a number of people mentioning a little fatigue with collecting and many re-evaluating what they want in their collection.

I hope a lot of the hype and daft prices for largely common items dies down over the next year and everyone can get to collecting what makes them happy, vs collecting what a FB group leads you to believe what a collection should consist of. It's certainly a lot more healthy and satisfying, in my opinion.

Chris

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Grant_C said:
Think The Last Jedi also has an impact.

You think it has put people off? It definitely got a marmite reception, TFA was much more widely praised.

TK-7785

Jedi Master
edd_jedi said:
Grant_C said:
Think The Last Jedi also has an impact.

You think it has put people off? It definitely got a marmite reception, TFA was much more widely praised.

I think it definitely may have curbed nostalgic enthusiasm for many who got back into collecting as a result of TFA.

Section 8

Sith Lord
Some good folk on Facebook but more than likely the same good folk from here only with a non username.

The ease of posting and selling an item is probably a big attraction. The more selling, the more people will follow.

subzero

Sith Lord
This is a very good point, it's the same with me after TFA released it kind of reignited my nostalgia quite a lot for all things Star Wars again, i'd say it definitely contributed in me wanting to acquire more vintage toys, and if TLJ was as good as TFA ( story wise ) then I do think SW hype for a lot of people would have carried on going upwards. Unfortunately TLJ had amazing potential to be something special carrying on from TFA but instead was an utter wasted opportunity and has completely killed my passion for the Star Wars canon from this point onward, I just don't give a **** about Episode 9 now, i'm not even thinking about it or waiting for it like I was for Episodes 7 & 8, I don't even care about hearing Ep 9 spoilers, someone could post up right now the ending to the film and i'll just read it lol I don't care where it's going or how it ends. Don't get me wrong I love TLJ as a standalone film I do think it's very good as a sc-fi film that feels like SW, but it's just completely wrecked the whole story which did not carry on well at all from TFA, TLJ felt like it's own separate one off film and not part of this trilogy.

And I know there's a ton of others out there who feel the same, the momentum is gone, so I can see this definitely having an effect on the general populations love for SW with a clear knock-on effect on the vintage toy market. Even the modern toys are apparently doing awful, you only have to search on youtube to see endless videos about stores not being able to even give away figures at stupid prices, a lot of people just don't care anymore. Also Solo should have done a lot better than it did, it's a very good film IMO but I really do think a large chunk of fans are kind of giving up on it all since TLJ disappointment.

It will be interesting to see how things go with the vintage & modern toy market and general SW hype after Episode 9 is released, they'd have to give us something amazing and somehow turn the trilogy around for it to have a positive effect but tbh I think the damage is done now.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Collecting has slowed a little which i think is an after effect of TLJ. A lot of people found it was appalling (myself included) but thats not he discussion here. I think a lot of people felt alienated after that. In the run up to TFA prices in vintage were going apeshit but now is different.

Ive pretty much stopped collecting now, except that i set myself a target of another 12 back Palitoy set - reseals. Having moved home, i have a little mancave now for myself. Its got my guitar amp and cab, 12 guitars on the wall and one display unit for Star Wars. Everyhing else is going.

So on my behalf, yes its changed but i think the hobby has changed massively. Facebook playing a huge part in that. Never signed up and never will.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom