New retroline.......

Vialli

Padawan
I know what Hasbro are trying do, they're tugging at the heartstrings of vintage collectors like us because trust me, like Tarkin, they will make more unproduced figures from the original line. I just feel that although we love to talk and speculate about the figures they didn't produce, that's where it should stay, they didn't make them, end of. Now we're going to have a situation where unlike the original 96, (which we all accept and love despite some sculpt and paint flaws because we didn't know any different and that's how they were made between 77-85) these new figures are going to cause debate about how they should or should not look like. I see people are already divided about the Tarkin sculpt, that's because it's being manufactured 2019 and not 1977 like it should have been in the first place. It was Kenner who missed the trick all those years ago and now Hasbro is going to try and cash in on that failure.

Palifan

Sith Lord
I'm probably in for the first 12 and then maybe the odd figure here and there but certainly not interested in picking up that many. At some point it would nice to have all the various sizes on display with each other in the similar vintage packaging but I just need a small example of these and then I'll pull out.

I do think it would have been a better idea to just release characters that were never released before on vintage packaging but they've kind of done this already over the years (and still are), so I guess they thought people would want another go round with the old familiar.

It always seems that this sort of release is always hit or miss with the collectors and hasbro won't bother if they just become peg warmers (which I don't think for a minute they will be but we'll see).

Ian

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
They don't excite me or anger me... bit meh...
Look to be the same crappy plastic they use in the Gentle Giant large scale figures, so no chance of being confused at first look.
The only thing I hold any distain for is the term Retro because it's being misused, they're not retro... :roll:
Oh and the offer logo is a bit ****.

I'm sure they'll do well and sell a bunch.

I've ordered a couple of Han so I can open one and get a feel for it. Not bothered about gathering a set though.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
StarWarsFan said:
wicky0570 said:
StarWarsFan said:
Retroblasting has just up loaded a video about these

Do you have a link to the video, I can't seem to find it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWIpy6Nhi1w
Thanks for this. I thought it was a very interesting and well thought through piece. I agree with almost everything he said about the new figures.

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
StarWarsFan said:
wicky0570 said:
Do you have a link to the video, I can't seem to find it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWIpy6Nhi1w
Thanks for this. I thought it was a very interesting and well thought through piece. I agree with almost everything he said about the new figures.

No problem, me too.

robpmarsh

Sith Lord
Marking on new Figures

FB_IMG_1550475231065.jpg

Crumm

Padawan
I just took the pre-order plunge with these (Thanks for the link Palifan).

I missed the boat with The Vintage Collection and even they are quite expensive now. I can have all 6 of these for the cost of one of the more popular Vintage Collection figures (I also prefer the original sculpts).

These are ideal for me really, I have a small and growing vintage loose collection. I can understand how some of the purist guys may hate these, and it is all well and good for the guys who got their MOC's while they were still somewhat affordable, or have plenty of expendable income. But I could never even hope to own any of the first 12 on their original cards, so this gives me a nice alternative which fills me with nostalgia, and I do think they look good (apart from the big red sticker, but I can live with that). I can put the loose collection on hold for a bit, collect these, and then go back to loose later on.

These are very easy to distinguish from genuine vintage, so people trying to pass them off as genuine certainly shouldn't be a problem.

I will definitely get the first 12, and then see where it goes from there, if I decide I don't want to keep them I am pretty sure I will have no trouble moving them on.

I will write a review and let you guys know what I think when I have them in hand.

jayums

Jedi Master
:p
Vialli said:
these new figures are going to cause debate about how they should or should not look like. I see people are already divided about the Tarkin sculpt,

Is debating a hobby meant to be fun? I think if any collectors are seriously divided by it then they need to have a lie down.

I don't think Tarkin looks too bad, and for a tenner or whatever I might get one. I don't collect modern, but a quirky retro line like this might appeal to me. Who knows, Hasbro might turn out some absolute bangers that complement the originals. And if I think they are crap, I won't buy them. Nowt to get upset about.

Personally I'm more interested in the skiff though - it looks cool. Hopefully more like that to come.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
One common complaint I've seen about these is collectors saying Hasbro are "cashing in". I think that's a bit rich coming from people who are selling toys that originally cost £1.59 for hundreds or thousands of pounds on the secondary market, of which Kenner/Hasbro sees nothing. They own the IP to this line, they can do whatever they want with it. They have more right to earn money from Star Wars products than collectors do. Sorry, that's a legal fact.

I often see the same response when rare records are reissued - some collectors and dealers feel the value of their original copy will be hit by a reissue, and they have more right to own an expensive second hand copy than the original artist or record label does to make money from their own work. That is just bullshit to me.

I've just ordered a set out of curiosity (thanks for the link Palifan) I'm keen to see what they look like in hand, and for under a tenner each I don't think that's too bad.

Alisdairmac

Jedi Knight
Supporter
No too sure what I think of these in general. Id probaby get one as a curiosity.

I would get the board game if its avaliable though

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/52911794_2330126583928762_6158858544117448704_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=024a67c51ffad29fdbb7240178e05fa6&oe=5CDDCCF7

TK-7785

Jedi Master
I think for some, myself included, the "cash grab" complaint is based around the fact that Hasbro only care about making the OT and vintage stuff that has been asked for for so long when other lines are failing. I have read that Hasbro's sales are down some $248 million this last quarter in Star Wars toys. This seems to be linked to the fact that a large proportion of the stuff they have been churning out since the start of the Disney era is either poorly thought out or based off of bad characters that most people aren't into. The simple fact is they are just not selling like figures and vehicles based off the OT or PT.

It doesn't seem to me that on the whole people have a problem with anyone making money off of nostalgia like this if it's done right and done well. Yes there are some that bemoan anything new, they will always exist, but this feels like Hasbro exploiting their core customer base when it suits them. Pretty much just like Michael French of Retroblasting lays out in his video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWIpy6Nhi1w

Perhaps this would be better received if the first wave showed more good will in being made up of a greater proportion of the never before produced vintage figures and not making the one they are doing (so far), Tarkin, a pack in. What is the reason for reproducing the Death Star board game in the first place? And why make the one figure most old school collectors interested in exclusive to the this? It's an obvious marketing move to exploit, not just give collectors and fans what they have wanted for a long, long time.

jayums

Jedi Master
I really enjoy retroblasters, he's a funny and thoughtful guy, but I can't help but feel he is a tad premature in getting on high horse over this. The tarkin / Death Star game looks like its going to cost about 16 quid (a Hasbro cash grab), yet he's fine with unofficial sand /rebel troopers being peddled for three times as much.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
jayums said:
I really enjoy retroblasters, he's a funny and thoughtful guy, but I can't help but feel he is a tad premature in getting on high horse over this. The tarkin / Death Star game looks like its going to cost about 16 quid (which is a Hasbro cash grab), yet he's fine with unofficial custom / sand rebel troopers being peddled for three times as much.

Exactly, and the owner of the intellectual property gets precisely zero from those custom sales. There are a lot of hypocrites about.

Crumm

Padawan
I don't really feel that this is a cash grab.

The recent figures for TFA and TLJ have been very dull, I have had literally no interest in them whatsoever. The Black Series don't appeal to me and the vintage collection are now overpriced and I dislike some of the sculpts. The moment I saw these I knew they were of interest to me. it's a clever move, and one I welcome.

It must have some merit, as it has made me put vintage loose on hold for now to focus on these. I can have a full wave of 6 for not much more than the price of say, a loose Boba Fett. I can't complain at that!

Can't wait to see how the droids come out in wave 2!

Dantooine

Padawan
poncho said:
How many retro do they intend to release the first 21 perhaps not the whole 98 surely???

Well, you've got to presume these are going to sell out fairly quick. At $10 a pop it's not like they're going to price themselves out of the market which is what seems to have happened to the Jumbo figures.

I reckon the first 21 is a sure thing, but will we see a retro Imperial Dig? I think it would be cool to redo the whole damn lot as long as they add some extra characters, which it looks like they're going to do - the cardback could read "collect all 178!". If these take off expect retro prequel and sequel figures. It will be a whole new line.

BruceW

Padawan
As a focus collector I'll get the Princess Leia and hang it next to the Gentle Giant jumbo figure. I doubt I'll ever put it on the shelves with my vintage carded Leia run. I have no interest in collecting all of them, I just don't have the room, really.

I'm surprised they've waited this long to do something like this. They have been catering to the nostalgic adult collector's market for a long time with the "vintage collection" figures and all the new product in 70's style retro packaging.

It remains to be seen how this will impact values on vintage items. I could see carded MOC's seeing a boost with this renewed interest, while loose values could take a hit. It sounds like the size difference will make it easy to distinguish new from old, but and I'm sure some newer collectors will be fooled. Only time will tell.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
What I do agree is bizarre is the 'battle damaged' packaging. Do they not know vintage collectors want everything in AFA 95 condition? 8)

TK-7785

Jedi Master
jayums said:
I really enjoy retroblasters, he's a funny and thoughtful guy, but I can't help but feel he is a tad premature in getting on high horse over this. The tarkin / Death Star game looks like its going to cost about 16 quid (a Hasbro cash grab), yet he's fine with unofficial sand /rebel troopers being peddled for three times as much.

I think you have to remember that a guy "working out of his shed" making customs from scratch cannot compete with the price point that Hasbro can achieve. When you're talking about hand made and painted, resin cast customs you'd be hard pressed to create something decent for under £30 per figure. Materials alone would cost you alone £15+, plus consumables and then think how long it takes to make each one by hand.

People like the guy who made those particular Sandtroopers and Rebel Fleet Troopers are making a very small profit if at all. I speak from experience with this as someone who has worked in creative industries all my life, as well as having made custom models, props and figures like this, and is often met with shock at how much bespoke items can cost. So when it comes to profit per unit I would wager Hasbro are making a greater percentage per figure than most if not all of the custom figure creators out there. You can't really compare custom made, low production item to a mass-produced one in that regard.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom