SWTOTW, Week 6, 2019, Part 2/2 Die Cast Tie Fighter

spoons

Grand Master
titusillu said:
spoons said:
Awesome Tie Collection, I had no idea there are so many - glorious times back then when so many countries did their own "imprint" on the cards, or even their own "Star Wras" Logo. Is there a japanese wooden Tie there in the middle? :) great. Do you also have a Takara? Probably ... :) many thanks for showing all these variations!

Thanks - the wooden TIE is a Takara, as is the middle TIE second row from the top. Die cast is a great affordable way to pick up the foreign releases, and I'm a sucker for a foreign language card :)

titusillu

Youngling
spoons said:
titusillu said:
spoons said:
Awesome Tie Collection, I had no idea there are so many - glorious times back then when so many countries did their own "imprint" on the cards, or even their own "Star Wras" Logo. Is there a japanese wooden Tie there in the middle? :) great. Do you also have a Takara? Probably ... :) many thanks for showing all these variations!

Thanks - the wooden TIE is a Takara, as is the middle TIE second row from the top. Die cast is a great affordable way to pick up the foreign releases, and I'm a sucker for a foreign language card :)

Thank you for the informations. So the Tie Die Cast basically has an original japanese card, not like the 12backs with the infamous sticker!?! Super cool. Just imagine the Star Wars Logo in japanese too ... that would have been a dream ... :) many thanks

spoons

Grand Master
titusillu said:
spoons said:

Thank you for the informations. So the Tie Die Cast basically has an original japanese card, not like the 12backs with the infamous sticker!?! Super cool. Just imagine the Star Wars Logo in japanese too ... that would have been a dream ... :) many thanks

No problem. The logo in Japanese would have been great but we do get TIE Fighter in Japanese, and a different coloured saber on the back.

Takara TIE Fighter (1).JPG

Takara TIE Fighter (2).JPG

spoons

Grand Master
No problem - and the Harbert is the only one to not have 'Star Wars' in the front

Harbert-TIE1.jpg

Harbert-TIE2.jpg

titusillu

Youngling
Awesome cards. For me as a designer involved with print it is also interesting to see that the japanese card print is lacking the "deep" black on the backcard, its rather a grayish blue / black. Okay, printer nerd talk, lol.

spoons

Grand Master
titusillu said:
Awesome cards. For me as a designer involved with print it is also interesting to see that the japanese card print is lacking the "deep" black on the backcard, its rather a grayish blue / black. Okay, printer nerd talk, lol.

The card stock varies a fair bit in size across the countries too, up to a couple of cm in height. I hadn't noticed the printing difference before, thanks!

spoons

Grand Master
Thought I should add some info to this thread too.

The wing design changed after a short while as the original male wings joining to a female body were too loose. An instructions leaflet was issued with the early TIEs explaining how the body should be crimped with pliers if too loose but they soon changed to female wings and a male body.

T7.jpg

tiespecin.jpg

Male wings

TIEv12.jpg

Female wings

Ties2.jpg

Pomse2001

Grand Master
spoons said:

The wing design changed after a short while as the original male wings joining to a female body were too loose. An instructions leaflet was issued with the early TIEs explaining how the body should be crimped with pliers if too loose but they soon changed to female wings and a male body.

thanks Andy for sharing the pictures and the info about the wings, I did not know that :shock:

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
spoons said:

T7.jpg

tiespecin.jpg

Male wings

TIEv12.jpg

Female wings

Ties2.jpg
A few questions if I may Andy.
Looking at the images both seams of the bodies appear to be comming apart, but I assume that the later ones have a plastic male insert that the wings fit into.
And that on the early ones the male wing slotted directly into the body, hence the need to "modify" :lol: the body to tighten the fixing?

spoons

Grand Master
That's exactly right Nick, but the bodies are fairly solid, they just have a seam. With the early ones I think you were just meant to squash the end on to the connector. Not very scientific :lol:

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
spoons said:
That's exactly right Nick, but the bodies are fairly solid, they just have a seam. With the early ones I think you were just meant to squash the end on to the connector. Not very scientific :lol:
Thanks Andy, for confirming that. I thought that would be the case.
Sorry to ask, I know nothing about die cast? :roll:
I see that there was another mailer shown in NA, and just to think I never even knew that they existed a week or so a go! :lol:
Small world.

titusillu

Youngling
Pomse2001 said:
spoons said:

thanks Andy for sharing the pictures and the info about the wings, I did not know that :shock:

Man I didnt know that either. Many thanks, Andy!

So basically you need 3 Ties, the original (first release) ones, the ones with the leaflet, plus the third, the corrected version, right? Are these variations known to exist in different "Country" versions, like Pali / Meccano/ etc etc , too??? :mrgreen:

spoons

Grand Master
titusillu said:
Pomse2001 said:
spoons said:

Man I didnt know that either. Many thanks, Andy!

So basically you need 3 Ties, the original (first release) ones, the ones with the leaflet, plus the third, the corrected version, right? Are these variations known to exist in different "Country" versions, like Pali / Meccano/ etc etc , too??? :mrgreen:

Ha ha - didn't mean to cause mass confusion. I only realised this about a year ago, the UK was only second issue so didn't know what the instructions were on about

There are only two types of loose TIE, but yes the first issue comes carded with and without instructions. The good news is that the foreign releases all seem to be second issue releases but it wouldnt surprise me if Kenner Canada had some first issue. Keep your eyes peeled.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom