SWFUK History

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Hey guys,

I have a little request.

I have only been on this site for 8 months and already much has happened. The 'Recent Aquisitions'' thread seems to be doing 100 pages every 2 months. Loads of people joining all the time, and the most ever online a few days ago. And the Breast ever sandcrawler.

I was wondering if we could have a history behind the forum? How it's started and evolved etc...? Success and crazy stories?

Any chances?

:wink:

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
I'm just looking for research for my thesis: 'SWFUK: there has been no tits on the forum for a month, but I'm still on it everyday'. A psychosocial investigation into showing your bits and getting comments'

tundra9

Sith Lord
Maulster79 said:
I'll start it for you.

(fanfare)

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.....

.....there was this guy named Edd who started a star wars trading site, but the site got run over by nerds with an attitude,
posting random **** about tits and beer!
:lol: :lol:

sith-smith

Grand Master
If I remember correctly, the site started around the end of 2005. For some reason we all had to re-register in 2006 as I think Edd changed some software/server thing.

Of course, I could be wrong.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I started this site on Boxing Day 2005 because I had just started making websites, was bored, and although I used Rebel Scum, didn't know of any UK based forums.

So I set it all up, and then realised that I had to actually try and get people to come on here :lol: To start with I put listings on Ebay with links to here, but Ebay soon caught on to me. Luckily a few people did see the links and joined, and it just snowballed from that really. There has always been little to no advertising, spamming, coming up with gimmicks for people to join etc. And I think that's probably why people joined and still come back, it is a simple site with simple rules.

Gary's right, in 2006 when it had got pretty big I had to move it to a faster server, and accidentally lost all of the users and posts :oops:

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Wow! Cool! :)

How do things compare to the early days?

I know we've just had the 'General Sales' and 'Events' threads added, but is it grown in users, content, community?

Thanks 8)

Josh

Sith Lord
When I joined up there was only 300 members or so. And most of them didn't post.
Now there is 1900 members...and most of them never post either :lol:
I think people come here for the controversy. Certainly can't be to learn about SW :lol:

spoons

Grand Master
The site changed in looks a lot in the move (and a couple if times since) there is a thread about the old site somewhere with a screengrab

Content is much the same, but if anything it's a little more serious, which may be hard to believe, and actually moderated now :lol:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
The design was different originally, it was black and red with a starry background and lots of Star Wars pictures everywhere. I don't have any photos unfortunately, but it looked pretty **** anyway! :lol:

The boards are mostly the same, I think the original line up was:

Vintage Collecting Chat
Vintage Showcase
Vintage Valuation Requests
Star Wars Items for Sale
Most Wanted
Off Topic

And then just added more as they were needed.

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
tiefighterboy said:
sith-smith said:
Back in those days the site was rivals with another uk forum called Imperial Outpost
Is that site dead? I joined it back then and overtime forgot about it.

The web site address still exists as http://www.imperialoutpost.co.uk but there is no star wars forum on there any more.

Jason

sith-smith

Grand Master
Josh said:
When I joined up there was only 300 members or so. And most of them didn't post.
Now there is 1900 members...and most of them never post either :lol:
I think people come here for the controversy. Certainly can't be to learn about SW :lol:

I was looking through the list of members the other day and there are still pages and pages of people who have joined but never posted. Never understood why. Unless it's just so they can view certaain threads on here which you can only see if logged in

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom