Why do people list items on eBay with Best Offer...

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
When they're not open to offers!? It seems like a pretty obvious concept to me - if you list something at £300 or best offer, you are hoping it sells for £300 but realistically will consider anything over about £250. Obviously you shouldn't take the piss, I think offering anything less than 75% is rude.

But I keep coming across people that send me back counter-offers that are like £1 less than their asking price - one guy just sent me a £99 counter offer on a £100 item (I offered £80.) Why do they bother? Why not just list it at £100 if you're not willing to take anything less? It's a complete waste of everyone's time.

TwistedMetal

Sith Lord
This is true, and it pisses me off two, there have been many times i have made offers to things over £100.00 and they come down a fiver, i just don`t see the point!

PGowdy

Grand Master
Yeah i've had this before. Item listed at £17.99 i offered £14.99 to buy all 10 available and he said no. Not even a counter offer. I would have gone up a pound but as my first offer was rejected i thought 'nah, **** him'.

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
The reserve ones really confuse me. Why not start out at the lowest price you will take, instead of wasting my time with bidding when it says "Reserve not met". When I see a reserve auction, I usually skip it all together.

theslider

Sith Lord
I usually put in some derisory offer if their actual asking price is stupid money. Do eBay change a fee to have a best offer on one of your auctions?

2stripes

Jedi Master
edd_jedi said:
Obviously you shouldn't take the piss, I think offering anything less than 75% is rude.

That depends as plenty of buy it nows are stupidly over priced, almost double what it would be worth and you know its going to just tick down without a buyer. If I offer half that which is what its worth and I get a counter offer half way its still well over its value so to negotiate your way to what you think is a fair price you actually would have to go below 50% which you know is going to be flat rejected.

So often I think nice item just no common sense!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah my 75% figure was more of market value. I also offer 'lowball' amounts on things with ridiculous prices.

Dom

Jedi Master
Ebay at the moment seems full of dreamers. I keep seeing toys at stupid prices and other people coming in maybe 10-20% cheaper. They are still all way over the top in my opinion

Grant

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
When they're not open to offers!? It seems like a pretty obvious concept to me - if you list something at £300 or best offer, you are hoping it sells for £300 but realistically will consider anything over about £250. Obviously you shouldn't take the piss, I think offering anything less than 75% is rude.

But I keep coming across people that send me back counter-offers that are like £1 less than their asking price - one guy just sent me a £99 counter offer on a £100 item (I offered £80.) Why do they bother? Why not just list it at £100 if you're not willing to take anything less? It's a complete waste of everyone's time.

Ed that type of person is a total moron. 8)

poncho

Grand Master
its just a way of making you few there auction i suppose, i agree though it is a waste of time i saw a beater moc for £25 i made a offer of £22 he came back with counter of £24.75......

Imperial nut

Sith Lord
Yep I have had this before.

There was a item up on the bay, a vader tie if I remember . With a daft BIN
Of £45.
And it was not a minty one buy a mile .
But it had best offer on it .

So I said £20 , answer came back super quick . "no, it's worth way more than that , attic, lots of money, offers flooding in, etc "
I politely accepted and wished him look.

I continued to watch and wait for it to be bought .
And guess what it didn't sell.

Then I got a message back saying he had thought about it and would take £35 for it.
Ehhh? Wha?

Firstly I didn't want to do a deal off eBay as the place is risky enough , but I wasn't goin to £35

So I said "relist at £25 and I will BIN "

I got a reply saying "no thanks, you have no idea idea what these things are worth"

Hilarious muppet .

plantman

Sith Lord
If i recieve a lowball offer i just counter offer with the full amount minus 1p

and if im feeling that way out i add them to my block list, i alway massively overprice when i have BIN OBO set up just in case you get that crazy high offer, its always worth a shot.

jimbody1

Padawan
ive found that even with a reasonable price people take the piss with best offers usually around half of the asking price so im not surprised people put stupid prices on things with a best offer option, i find the best thing is to start an auction for the minimum you will take ( i tried reserves they dont work ) if its a bin with obo then its usually my best price ( usually what the items cost me ) plus ebay and paypal fees then maybe 20% on top for haggling purposes. while there is obviously a monetary implication involved im not really cash driven i just like to collect and like to think thats why im in it to start with, some of my collections are never going to be worth what ive paid for them but it doesnt stop me collecting stuff and it certainly doesnt stop me paying over the odds for something i want. at the end of the day everyone wants a bargain and who can blame them but some people just take the piss :lol:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
plantman said:

and if im feeling that way out i add them to my block list, i alway massively overprice when i have BIN OBO set up just in case you get that crazy high offer, its always worth a shot.

Hang on - so if your buy it now prices are 'massively overpriced' what do you consider a lowball offer? A 50% offer may be quite reasonable if you're overpricing stuff.

plantman

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
plantman said:

Hang on - so if your buy it now prices are 'massively overpriced' what do you consider a lowball offer? A 50% offer may be quite reasonable if you're overpricing stuff.

well i had a huge lot of battle beasts up for sale at about £550 i think, i got an offer of £100 for them.....i blocked him, its easy to know if someone is taking the piss or not.

i dont see the point in not overpricing a BIN, the whole point is your willing to negotiate, and if i remember i autoreject any lowballs

jimbody1

Padawan
edd_jedi said:
plantman said:

i dont think anyone overprices stuff by 100%, thatd be mad :lol:

aussiejames said:
I thought as a seller you could set up a system that automatically rejects 'really' lowball offers?

you can mate, its just a case of setting a minimum offer in the listing to start with

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom