palitoy delusion.

wookieboogie78

Padawan
I cannot fail to understand how certain palitoy collectors or dealers of 12bk and 20bk carded figures are over estimating the value of some moc figures ? just b'cause AFA has been added.

crazy :eek:

Lee77

Sith Lord
I have to agree. I've just started out on a 12/20 run and when I've enquired to 2 or 3 people the prices have been ridiculous. I managed to get an AFA 85 stormie for £450 yet I've seen these as high as £900 in the last few weeks. I've seen 2 or 3 of the 20 backs graded ukg80 going for between 600 - 900. I think Palitoy is popular at the minute but the added cost that grading adds is making them over priced.
Rant over!

Lee Gregory

Sith Lord
Palitoy has been popular for a good while. I started out ,as most do, trying to get a set of 12/20 backs,but many hit the wall when it comes to Luke and Chewy.
I would still need a Chewy if I still had my set and I have been collecting 6 years or so.
I agree prices are bonkers,the 12/20 will always have the demand due to them being 'debut' cardsbut few are 'rare' in my opinion if you have patience, one thing I have little of.

Lee Gregory

Sith Lord
That 12 bk Leia was once owned by a friend up to around 18 months ago when he sold it. I know he was after £700 for it then,and it is ungraded, £1300 is ridiculous

flycasual

Jedi Master
Aren't most graded items overestimated? Or is it even worse for Palitoys?

The prices I've seen around are "ridiculous"!

wookieboogie78

Padawan
Lee Gregory said:
Palitoy has been popular for a good while. I started out ,as most do, trying to get a set of 12/20 backs,but many hit the wall when it comes to Luke and Chewy.
I would still need a Chewy if I still had my set and I have been collecting 6 years or so.
I agree prices are bonkers,the 12/20 will always have the demand due to them being 'debut' cardsbut few are 'rare' in my opinion if you have patience, one thing I have little of.
Lee mate if any one deserved a full set of 20bk palis it was yourself . as you know i had the chewy ( from mr stevenson ) and let that go to my good friend ( jon boy ) maybe it was just about timing or you might of ended up with that bad boy?

AFA you know what that stands for ABSOLUTE EFFIN AMOUNTS :lol:

Lee Gregory

Sith Lord
Thanks J, but I don't deserve a set more than anyone else.
I am pretty happy with what I have got,and also knowing the majority of the cards I have sold on have gone to good homes.

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
wookieboogie78 said:
Lee Gregory said:
Lee mate if any one deserved a full set of 20bk palis it was yourself . as you know i had the chewy ( from mr stevenson ) and let that go to my good friend ( jon boy ) maybe it was just about timing or you might of ended up with that bad boy?

AFA you know what that stands for ABSOLUTE EFFIN AMOUNTS :lol:[/quote

I have to agree J, as you know I have only 10 graded MOCs in my collection and I just bought them that way. Luckily I didn't pay crazy prices either, few bargains infact :D

sith-smith

Grand Master
The thing is, if people are going to pay those prices, then at the moment, that's what they are worth.

I can't however figure out how they have reached such levels, especially as few are rare (compared to many, even chewie is not that rare) and Palitoy, as Lee said, has always been popular. In addition, there are now far more known to exist than when I started collecting them, back in 2001.

It is right across the board though, not just 12/20 backs, but 30, 41 45a. AFA'd or not.

I hardly know any Palitoy collectors now compared to the numbers I knew years ago, but logically it can only be a massive increase in popularity that's driving up prices.

Or one or two idiots are paying stupid money...I've seen that have an effect in the past.

Bramistuta25

Sith Lord
I have to agree with all the above. I am by no means a Palitoy expert but have been doing my research recently and the prices seem to be astronomical!!

I can understand however that grading plays a part in bumping it up as you have the concerns of reseals, ink touch ups etc... taken away, but bumping it up to the price that it is, is ridiculous.

It has been happening on a few different areas recently... POTF MOC Figures, Loose Yak Face and last 17 prices have risen quite a bit...

Even to the degree of Boba Fett 77 back on ROTJ card... One went for £350 on eBay recently and it had creases with a yellow bubble!!

I think as with any area of collecting things go in fads... A while back it was DT Luke's where they were going for upwards of £250, now they have levelled out at around £200.

I will be biding my time before I invest an interest in this area and concentrate elsewhere until the "good" deals come back around.

Good luck in your searching for cheaper, well reasonably priced carded figures in the meantime.

Bram

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
The prices are scary but to be honest in my opinion justified compared to other SW items. There are at least 10 Vinyl Caped Jawas on eBay at all times, and people seem to think paying £250 for one is fine. So why is £1000 for a MOC that shows up 2 or 3 times a year unreasonable? I can think of many other more over-priced items.

sith-smith

Grand Master
As ai said, if people are prepared to pay it, then that's what something is worth at that time.

I think the current issue with Palitoy as initially stated is that prices have made incredible jumps. A few years ago, try selling a 12 back Sandperson (I think you did? Or I could be mixing you up with someone else) People struggled to sell them for more than £200. Now, even the more common 12 backs and 20's, can go for at least £500, some even £750+. It's certainly not because they are rarer and in fact are more common than before.

SW collecting does go fads and Palitoys have shot up and come back down again in the past. Same as other parts of the hobby. It's just that at the moment, and for possible the last 2 or so years, they have reached a huge new high. As a Palitoy collector, that certainly interests me and I would have thought it can only be because there are suddenly loads of new collectors.

Unless someone is buying up everything and holding on to them, thus reducing the number on the open market.

Using VC Jawas an example, I have seen them sell for £250 recently. I have seen them sell for that over 10 years ago. Have they remained fairly consistent?

Stormtrooper37

Sith Lord
I don't consider any of the Palitoy carded figures to be particularly rare, they are just desirable especially the earlier ones with the logo on the front.

Just had a quick look on ebay, umm... yes very expensive with a 12 back Darth Vader AFA 90 £2,249.99 and a few others over the £1,000 mark

Each to their own I guess but Meccano, Harbert, Ledy and Glasslite carded figures are far far rarer and in my personal opinion much more desirable and worth the premium price.

Also I've noticed the price of trilogo's going up and up on certain figures - again a surge in popularity in this area.

Lee Gregory

Sith Lord
Got to sell them though, it's one thing asking silly prices,another thing obtaining them.
I notice Mr. Ylister had a couple sell on ebay, a 12bk 3PO and DSC, both won by the same bidder for £675 and £870 I think it was. Now both back up for sale at 'silly' buy it now or best offer. I suppose some would say the £675/£870 were silly prices already.

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
:(
Stormtrooper37 said:
I don't consider any of the Palitoy carded figures to be particularly rare, they are just desirable especially the earlier ones with the logo on the front.

Just had a quick look on ebay, umm... yes very expensive with a 12 back Darth Vader AFA 90 £2,249.99 and a few others over the £1,000 mark

Each to their own I guess but Meccano, Harbert, Ledy and Glasslite carded figures are far far rarer and in my personal opinion much more desirable and worth the premium price.

Also I've noticed the price of trilogo's going up and up on certain figures - again a surge in popularity in this area.

I have to correct you there my friend, some Palitoy MOCs are extremely rare with only 1 or 2 examples known to exist and there are a couple of examples that have yet to be found factory sealed that we know of!!!

Back to crazy prices for MOC Palitoy, forget AFA and even forget factory sealed MOC, I know lunatics that have paid four figure sums for Palitoy reseals!!!

As Gary said that old saying is very true and holds for everything, something is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom