For those who loved star wars back in the 70's 80's....

sith-smith

Grand Master
How well do you remember Christmas time and the Star Wars toys you'd get.

I have vague memories and not entirely certain when they would have been.

I think I can remember one in 78/79 through to my last Star Wars Christmas in 84

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
I can remember quite a lot.

I can remember mum not wanting a mess and taken all the packaging in to the garden to burn it.

But I can remember wanting a Rancor and it was under the tree along with an item I had never asked for. Something called a Spectrum 48k.

I think my favorite though was Christmas 1995 when I told a dealer I use to know that there was a shop selling actual Star Wars MOCs. Remember this is pre-internet examples of seeing a MOC were rare in my world.

On Christmas day my mum gently lifted a box from under the tree, and was super careful as if it was a bomb. I opened it and there was a MOC inside.

It fell flat. Not only was it a MOC- it was a Star Wars carded Walrus Man. :shock:

Holy ****- i actually own a figure on the Star Wars card. To say it blew my little teenage mind was an understatement. My dealer friend and my parents had been working together to pull this off. I practically went into a state of shock and burst into tears.

I will always love that MOC. I wouldn't swap it for a Rocket Firing Boba Fett. What a lovely thing to do. :wink:

PGowdy

Grand Master
Like you vague memories because i was quite young. Remember my Transformers obsession in the late 80s better.
One distinct memory i have is my birthday in January 1984 i got a AT-ST which i'd been asking for for months! Was absolutely thrilled with it.

Spookedhippie

Sith Lord
Was never alive during the original film releases but two Christmases I do remember...

Once my nan brought a load of vintage Star Wars, I must have been five or six, and she brought them second hand from a boy down the road. There must have been at least fifty figures and twenty vehicles. She set every single one up in her lounge ready for when I walked in. I was gob smacked to say the least! Still have all of them still now.

The second was the christmas after when my nan brought me a momc ree yees. Been only young I ripped it off the pack. But at ce I found the same figure, and although it is so easy to get hold of, it is the highlight of my collection just for that reason alone.

sith-smith

Grand Master
I remember coming down stairs one Christmas morning...maybe 78/9 and finding the Cardboard Death Star and Land of the Jawas already built and ready to be played with!!

That was just awesome!

I can also remember being really excited about Christmas in 84 as I was getting Jabba the Hutt Playset and I remember already going to the local toyshop and picking an 8D8 for that Christmas. I'm certain I still have the cardback somewhere

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
I rem the Christmas I got the best Christmas present I ever had, the AT-AT!! Can't rem the exact year, it was either 81 or 82.
I rem when it came out it caused a real buzz and was sold out everywhere! I have a vivid memory as a little kid standing outside Argos and this huge guy coming out with an AT-AT under his arm and me staring mouth open in awe! Fantastic memories!

My mum's friend used to do late night shopping in Tesco on a Fri night and one Fri eve a whole board of Kenner AT-ATs(survival kit offer) came in! So Mum flew down there Sat Morn and picked one up for the modest sum of £22.50 which was dirt cheap at the time(wish she'd bought the whole board :lol:) Think Argos wanted £36 and God knows what Selfridges or Hamleys wanted!!

Rem getting Jabba couple of Christmas later too, that was one hell of a popular toy as well!

Happy to say I still have both of those toys complete and the AT-AT box(mum kept it for storage)

Even though I am a Palitoy collector I was over the moon to pick up a Kenner AT-AT survival Kit offer mint shop stock condition a few years ago!! 8)

sith-smith

Grand Master
I remember the year I got the AT AT

My mum still tell me how she walked done the market all the way back to work with it under her arm

I also remember breaking up from school ages before Christmas so it was a really long wait before the big day!

Richard_H

Grand Master
I don't have great memories of Xmas that early. Remember finding a DV Tie in my mother's wardrobe before Xmas and was told it wasn't mine. Was thrilled when I opened it on Xmas day. Probably Xmas 83.

sith-smith

Grand Master
I know for Christmas I got the Vader's Tie fighter, but really wanted the White one! Didn't get one till 2000!

I also got Slave 1, Star Destroyer and Cloud Car, but not sure if that was all for the same Christmas. One hell of a Christmas if it was! :)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I do not remember getting any star wars for christmas :cry:

But I remember getting some star wars for my birthday and sometimes when I was out shopping with my parents or my uncle in 1985, 1986 and 1987.

chiffy

Sith Lord
I can remember my mum buying me the falcon and for some reason she liked to stack out pressies next to our beds on xmas eve. Anyways, on xmas morning i shot out of bed, stood on the bastard and smashed straight through it! Funny now but not at the time. As an add on to the story, she did get me a replacement 1 but then a week later sold it for some booze. Not that it still bothers me honest :roll: :lol:

PS I love my mum the stupid old bitch :lol:

theslider

Sith Lord
I remember getting Slave I for Christmas 1982 (I think). I also got the Palitoy talking R2D2 in 1980. The Jabba playset was hard to get and I didn't get that at Christmas 83 as it was sold out and had to wait till January 84 to get it.

Palifan

Sith Lord
Getting the Palitoy Death Star on Christmas morning of 78 was the best gift I ever had. I played with that one item so much and without a doubt it's my favourite Star Wars play set ever.

I think I loved it so much because of the size and the amount you can act out with it. I never had any of the ships or other play sets other than the Cantina, which I had the following year for my birthday, but nothing would have ever compared to the mighty Death Star anyway!

PIGCITY

Sith Lord
Mine and my brothers first gear was a mini rig each. I had INT4 and he had Cap2. Then we got a few figs both got a Big Head Han and we both got 4-LOM I had Bossk but beacuse he had the Cap2 and Bossk was driving that I was asked to swap it to him in return I got...the White Bespin guard.We got loads of other SW gear for Christmas' after but that one always sticks in my mind.

This year I have the same Bespin guard fig under the tree on a card from a very generous deal from Jackabina.

sith-smith

Grand Master
Palifan said:
Getting the Palitoy Death Star on Christmas morning of 78 was the best gift I ever had. I played with that one item so much and without a doubt it's my favourite Star Wars play set ever.

I think I loved it so much because of the size and the amount you can act out with it. I never had any of the ships or other play sets other than the Cantina, which I had the following year for my birthday, but nothing would have ever compared to the mighty Death Star anyway!

Cool. That must mean that it was 78 for me too. Though didn't realise the DS was out by then. I know the UK was slow with things!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I think the last SW toy I got for Christmas was the ewok battle glider. But I don't really remember any other specifics.

Doomseeker

Jedi Master
I remember so much actually, the big Star Wars christmas back in 84/5. My 5th birthday when I got an X wing (and some awesome Masters of the Universe toys) I also remember vividly (which is annoying to be fair) of my last store bought action figure, in a small toy shop in Grantham, it was Darth Vader ( I already had it but wanted another as I had lost the lightsaber) I remember seeing a wall of Star wars toys....brings a tear to the eye thinking of it. Everytime I pass Grantham on the train I think of it.

Captainsolo1978

Jedi Master
Remember very well Xmas 1983- got a snowspeeder, Rebel Transport and speeder bike!

Xmas 1982 - vaguely remember getting an X wing with Luke Xwing

Xmas 84 got Jabba and the rancor!

Xmas 85- got all of the last 15 tri logos!

Remember Tescos had then all and they put a pen through the "New Figure £1.59" label, with a 99p sticker over it! Funny thing is Yak Face tended to be the peg warmer!!!!

sith-smith

Grand Master
I only ever remember getting one figure for Christmas and that was an 8D8 in 84. Only seem to recall getting vehicles and playsets.

Must have got figures at some point though as I had nearly 100 of them! :?

DrPittenstein

Padawan
I can remember thinking the R2D2 figure was a bit ****! It didn't seem to bother me that the figures looked nothing like the actors though which isn't very consistent. I can remember the smell of darth's vinyl cape. I can remember thinking the jawa figures were cool with their little eyes peering out from their hoods. I think my favourite of the small figures as a kid was C-3P0, a great little model all nice and shiny. I loved the death star droid too for some reason. Only vehicle I can remember getting was the landspeeder and LOVED the way it could glide along the floor. Hours and hours were spent with that.

Of course I longed for a Millennium falcon but never got one. I had an airfix style model of Darth's tie fighter that I painted silver and used to try and hoax a UFO sighting! Never had the Palitoy Tie fighter but used to dream about the sounds it would make. I played with the stormtrooper laser rifle loads but always wanted Han's laser pistol for whatever reason. I can remember a Luke 12" figure and was more obsessed with his blue lightsabre than anything else. We also spent hours in the dark with the first toy lightsabres they released, no idea who now but they looked amazing with the lights out. But one hit against another one and it would leave a permanent dent/white mark.

The first thing that really got us going as kids were the bubblegum cards and they came out before the UK release of the first film so that must have been early 1977. The whole school went nuts for them. How I'd love a whiff of one of those packs, it would be like time travel!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom