AFA regrading

spoons

Grand Master
Has anyone ever resubmitted anything to AFA?

I'm about to re-submit a proof card that I've been told (by an AFA man)has scored too low. They won't tell me what it should score until I submit it. I'm posting it today but it seems a lot of effort just to go from a 70 to a 75. hopefully it will get more. There's always a chance it wont get regraded and then it will cost me to get it posted back.

spoons

Grand Master
Its cost me Ã'£14 postage to send it back to the states so it had better get a higher grade

lee gray

Sith Lord
spoons said:
Its cost me Ã'£14 postage to send it back to the states so it had better get a higher grade
the wait is the worst part, I recently sent my POTF imp dig and was told that when they recase the figures now they also check the condition to make sure it hasnt changed and was pooping my pants in case the clear bubble grade changed to a Y but luckily when I asked them yesterday after was told its been sent back to me, it still kept the clear bubble

It takes like two weeks till it gets there and sometimes they take their time so u are usually without your figure a good month

wonder why they wouldnt tell you

spoons

Grand Master
craignwo4life said:
Have you broken it out of the AFA case so they don't see the old grade?

No, I was browsing the AFA section of RS, which I'd never looked at before, and noticed loads of people complaining that their figures had graded very low. This guy called Tom (presumably Tom Derby?) kept on commenting - agreeing or disagreeing with the grade. My proof got a 70 and I can't see a single fault bar a bit of edgeware, so I sent him a couple of pics, and asked for his opinion. He said that the red ink levels??? would have made it score low but 70 seemed very low, and he advised me to resubmit it. A guy at AFA also thought it seemd low but wouldn't guarantee a re-grade.

If I'd broken it out of the case it might have got a fairer grading second time round but I would have to pay. This way I only pay shipping to the US, if it gets regraded they pay its return fare :D

If not, I have to pay to get it back :cry:

I've got a feeling that this will turn out to be a costly experiment, especially when AFA grades don't really bother me. But i thought for the sake of a few quid it would be worth getting a better grade, hopefully an 80. It would be better if I ever decided to sell it on.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
i reckon 10 of us should chip in 20 quid each, and send the same figure in for grading several times. every time it comes back, note down the grade, smah it out the case, and send it in again. would be very interesting to see if the grade changes, and if they even notice.

Darth Wensleydale

Sith Lord
trouble is they sometimes create the odd mark putting it into a new case and with Royal Mail and USPS throwing it around at either end you could start with a 90 and end up with a 60 :lol:

lee gray

Sith Lord
Now i see, it wasnt toygrader themselves asking you to send it back as the grade was wrong but first tom derby saying it might have graded wrong, lets hope it does get a better grade,

I just had to pay 21 pound return shipping for my item

as for breaking figures out of cases it really is too dodgy for edgewear damage but for loose figures i guess it wouldnt do any harm

spoons

Grand Master
lee gray said:
Now i see, it wasnt toygrader themselves asking you to send it back as the grade was wrong but first tom derby saying it might have graded wrong, lets hope it does get a better grade,

The toy grader guy (TL) said it seemed to have graded very low, and if I resubmit it it should grade higher, but no guarantees. If he hadn't given me a bit of hope I wouldn't have bothered - I suppose he has nothing to gain by giving me false promises :?

lee gray

Sith Lord
spoons said:
lee gray said:

The toy grader guy (TL) said it seemed to have graded very low, and if I resubmit it it should grade higher, but no guarantees. If he hadn't given me a bit of hope I wouldn't have bothered - I suppose he has nothing to gain by giving me false promises :?
TL is one of the managers

and as you say if it does get a higher grade and you need to sell in future it all helps

spoons

Grand Master
Thought I'd post the latest on my han hoth regrading saga

It arrived at Toy Grader on the 19th May, they claimed to have no knowledge of it ever having arrived. I was going to file an insurance claim this weekend but I got an email today from TL

It seems that your Han Hoth did in fact arrive at our offices; however it was not processed in our database as it should have been, so I had no way of locating the item. The piece has been completed and is being returned to you. Because of the trouble you encountered we will be covering the cost of return shipping.

Which is great news, except that as they were meant to pay for return shipping anyway it makes me wonder if it hasn't got a new grade :?

spoons

Grand Master
it's unavailable as yet - they don't seem the most professional outfit in the world :roll:

jayjedi

Sith Lord
spoons it is bad enough you waste your money on gooners shirts mate, without throwing money down the drain. dont give it to the yanks that easy ..... they are getting beckham, dont give them anything else :lol: :lol:

spoons

Grand Master
jayjedi said:
spoons it is bad enough you waste your money on gooners shirts mate, without throwing money down the drain. dont give it to the yanks that easy ..... they are getting beckham, dont give them anything else :lol: :lol:

I'm giving them nothing - if they've made a mistake regrading is free :D

If not you pay for return postage

(I'd already bought the card graded)

spoons

Grand Master
i've got an email today saying that the 'mater grader' has regraded the card as a 75

Once it returns it will have cost me Ã'£14 for an extra 5 AFA points and a month and a half of wondering where my proof card was

i'll let it lie next time :roll:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
****, that's a bit of a bummer Spoons.
I guess though the extra 5 AFA points may increase the value by more than Ã'£14 if you sell it.
Still a bit of a let down. :?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom