Overpaying for a figure you really, really want...

Rudyard

Jedi Knight
Do you sometimes overpay for a rare figure or card, or one which you hardly ever see come up for sale and really want ââ'¬â€œ even though you realise that youââ'¬â"¢re paying a fair bit more than its actually really worth. How disciplined are you chaps when it comes to perhaps passing up an opportunity on the basis that you feel youââ'¬â"¢re being ripped off just a touch. Iââ'¬â"¢m normally fairly disciplined, but there are certain items when I find myself waivering, inclined to pay over the odds...

Darth Wensleydale

Sith Lord
It depends on how much you want it and how likely you are to see it again in the short term. If its going to be in your collection a long time then it may well be worth it.

There aren't that many really, really rare items out there as ebay seems to throw up a lot more than people ever thought existed. However, if it makes you happy (which is the important thing) then pay out, I occassionally go mad but haven't regretted it yet. After all you'll always get a bargain to even things out over time! :D

lee gray

Sith Lord
Too often

infact right now i am the higgest bidder on the droids prototype figure that i want really badly but even the highest bid i have gone to of over 2000 bucks it still has not reached the reserve and I although I really want this piece I cannot afford to bid higher unless I sell my other items and even then I might not reach the reserve price so would end up selling my items for nothing and if i waited till i won auction before i sold items i wouldnt have the money in time

it sure does suck when you cant afford something you want

inzaman

Sith Lord
As Darth Wensleydale has said really. If i am going to keep the piece for a while or for ever then i will over pay; not by a great deal though say up to 25% maybe more depending on the price.

I think depending on what you are after, then the main rule is to be patient but for some pieces that can be too hard to resist.

inzaman

Sith Lord
lee gray said:
infact right now i am the higgest bidder on the droids prototype figure that i want really badly but even the highest bid i have gone to of over 2000 bucks it still has not reached the reserve and I although I really want this piece I cannot afford to bid higher unless I sell my other items and even then I might not reach the reserve price so would end up selling my items for nothing and if i waited till i won auction before i sold items i wouldnt have the money in time
That looks an amazing piece and i have never seen one before. It is so hard when you really really want it.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I'm the same as the others, "it depends."

If the item is rare/doesn't come up very often (and I want it) then I probably will end up paying more than it's worth. Otherwise, I'm normally pretty good at letting it slide.

Although I did log on to Ebay at 2.30 in morning having been in the pub for 8 or so hours and buy an afa 80 moc Romba for twice what it was worth once :oops: . After that I NEVER again went near Ebay with drink in me. :lol:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
sometimes, but more often than not being patient pays off. i managed to get the last kenner luke bespin i needed for less than half of what the last few i've seen sold for. i've been waiting for months, but glad i did now 8)

occasionally though you fo get figures that are so rare you just have to buy the first you see!

lee gray

Sith Lord
A couple of times when an auction is running for a figure i desperately want i have offered the seller over the top money to end auction early as I am inpatient or worse still buying something from the overpriced brians toys :)

once I saw an empty action man soldier box on ebay for a nine day auction that i wanted and offered seller 25 pound to end auction early and he said no as he expects it go for more and I ended up winning it for 16 pounds. i really wanted to email him at the time and rub his face in it as he could have had more but thought best not too incase he damaged it :)

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Rudyard said:
Nice to know I'm not alone. Feel like a right mug sometimes shelling out what I do.... a happy one, but a mug nonetheless

Don't worry your in good company, plenty of mugs on here (and that's just the Man United fans!) :wink: :D

craignwo4life

Sith Lord
I think I have overpayed for most of my figures as whenever I sell them they nearly always go for less money !! :x

My problem is I'm very impatient and hate missing out on something and risking never seeing another one again. :oops:

Luckily there isn't much left on my want list so hopefully I will be able to start saving some money again !!! :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom