AFA grading a card with a couple of scratches

Rudyard

Jedi Knight
I know I should post a picture, but I can't just at present - but do you know how harshly AFA would look upon a carded vintage figure if it had a couple of long scratches on the front of the card - they don't break the surface of the picture, but are still visible, especially if the light catches it right. Would it immediately be downgraded to a 75 overall grade max or do you think it could still get away with an 80 for the card if its lucky?

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Would need to see a picture to say for certain. AFA can be a bit hit and miss, it could even come down to who at AFA grades it for you.

Rudyard

Jedi Knight
Have never sent anything to AFA myself, but I have a few carded figures that I'm tempted to send. Trouble is obviously the cost, length of time it takes, uncertainty regarding customs on return and worry that some unexpectedlylow grades makes everything pointless or worse. Think I'd rather leave them ungraded than risk getting anything below 80s. At least its a mark sayying that it definately is an original.

Will let you know if I decide to send them and and what happens

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
In a similar position myself, got a B-wing NRFB that is as close to mint as I've seen and a few mini rigs that I would consider sending but I haven't yet for the same reasons you mention, and the fact that I'm just too lazy!

Darth Wensleydale

Sith Lord
Customs shouldn't be a worry with AFA as they put a letter on the outside of the box saying that the item is being returned to sender and no purchase has occured. They insure 3rd party so only a low value is put on the customs form in any case. I've not had to pay anything as yet :wink:

spoons

Grand Master
Rudyard said:
Have never sent anything to AFA myself, but I have a few carded figures that I'm tempted to send. Trouble is obviously the cost, length of time it takes, uncertainty regarding customs on return and worry that some unexpectedlylow grades makes everything pointless or worse. Think I'd rather leave them ungraded than risk getting anything below 80s. At least its a mark sayying that it definately is an original.

I just sent my first thing to the AFA and they appear to have lost it :x

spoons

Grand Master
I honestly don't know - I sent it tracked and supposedly it arrived at their door on the 19th of May. They deny ever having seen it

Luckily its insured, but I'm not too chuffed to say the least

spoons

Grand Master
Rudyard said:
****shite! Hardly a vote of confidence for them.
Might wait until they open their European office in London :roll:

might be best :roll:

Darth Wensleydale

Sith Lord
I've had a couple of things take for ever to get processed even though they arrived with AFA a week or two beforehand. They must be busy as things have slowed down lately. I'd start a claim but would expect them to find it and send you an email fairly soon.

From what I understand there may not be a European office because of the cost and time it would take to set up and train graders. I think they might be looking at some kind of office to collect submissions here and then ship them out to the US for grading in large batches. This will probably cut down on the expense of sending big parcels via Parcelforce etc but will increase the time taken to get things back. From whats been said on Rebelscum in previous months they are going to make a decision at or shortly after Celebration Europe next month.

Rudyard

Jedi Knight
:shock: Bites nails nervously and awaits decision.
In all seriousness it would be fabby dabby to have a branch here on our doorstep that could do the grading. They could even just relocate a couple of their graders here for a year or so - that would be enough for most of us to get the bulk of what we really wanted done. Then they could go back :idea:

Darth Wensleydale

Sith Lord
Its the casing as well I think. They have a couple of blokes who can do nifty things with acrylic over there so I suppose they could only do standard cases here unless they set up production as well :roll:

I don't think they know how much stuff there is in Europe that people might want to get graded, maybe they'll realise just how much at Celebration when they get mobbed with questions :)

lee gray

Sith Lord
spoons said:
I honestly don't know - I sent it tracked and supposedly it arrived at their door on the 19th of May. They deny ever having seen it

Luckily its insured, but I'm not too chuffed to say the least
that sucks, maybe it might turn up still but thats a bit long ago now, sometimes the money is no consolation

Rudyard said:

Yeah it takes forever, I have sent 4 items of in my time to be recased and its taken over a month there and back each time with the highest tier only once when i was sure the item would get a 90 that i sent something of to be graded though which was worth it but as you say some people wouldnt pay peanuts for something graded 80 or less unless ulta rare

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom