Early Bird Set

Rudyard

Jedi Knight
I guess this might appeal to some on here...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110130479935&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:uk

If the figures were sealed in the original baggies I'd be there like a rat up a drainpipe, but how does anyone know they are the same figs that came in that earlybird offer otherwise? Would the correct baggies tehmselves be the same as any other kenner heat sealed baggie with a luke, leia etc? Any ideas what the true value of this is?

nice DT Luke though - if its genuine

Darth Wensleydale

Sith Lord
I'd suspect that the figures are original as its unusual for these sets to be broken up if the box, fragile tray and pegs have survived. This looks to be an early set as it has the DT Luke and so the Chewbacca should match by having the early green bowcaster. The figures could have been swopped for other more mint examples over the years but you probably wouldn't be able to tell as theres no difference from those released on later cards.

If all the figures were sealed in baggies then you'd be looking at Ã'£500+ for the set (with all paperwork). All the baggies were tape sealed only - never heat sealed as far as I know. There are two baggie variations correct for the set, one has 'Made in Hong Kong' in white writing and one in black.

There was also a coupon for the mail away figure stand and one of two early Kenner catalogues with the set originally although they are missing on this one.

I'd say the value is there or thereabouts but I would perhaps have expected the catalogue or leaflet to be included for that price.

inzaman

Sith Lord
It is interesting, i would love an early bird set but a complete one so i can have it graded as i think they look awesome displayed in the AFA casing 8)

Darth Wensleydale

Sith Lord
Heres my one which I just got back from AFA. Its got the two different types of baggies in it (black and white lettering) - The Luke and Leia have the white lettering but its on the back of the bags behind the figs. The catalogue is the very first Kenner one and has pics of prototype playsets and ships in it. Most of the figures can't have been finalised when the catalogue was issued as the pictures of the first 12 on the back cover show the actor/creature screenshots from the film.
IMG_4915.jpg

IMG_4916.jpg

Darth Wensleydale

Sith Lord
I'll see if I can find some pics. Problem is that now that one is cased up I can't look in the catalogue any more :(
Some small pictures of the prototypes are on certain Kenner 20/21 backs i.e. the Dewback, Droid Factory and Cantina and a few are in the 1978 catalogues with the x-wing on the front.

Rudyard

Jedi Knight
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Awesome piece mate!
Love the one listed by Cloud City, crikey! **checks bank balance......

....... shite.**

Maybe next time. :?

Darth Wensleydale

Sith Lord
Here you go Inzaman. The prices are a bit mad on the graded ones I know theres only about five with the DT Saber but I saw one sell for Ã'£2100 on a buy it now :shock: Luckily I paid much less than a third of that before I got it graded. If you keep looking I'm sure an ungraded one with sealed baggies with come along, one sold in the US the other day for about Ã'£500 on an ebay auction.
IMG_4928.jpg

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Darth, this isn't meant to undermine your excellent piece at all but I'm just wandering how it got an 85 with such a creased box? Do they not grade that or something?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom