Few AFA questions

2stripes

Jedi Master
Just made a terrible financial decision and decided to collect a loose AFA collection, (I blame who ever posted that pic of the AFA U90 4LOM). So I was thinking of sending a few of my loose figures off to get graded. Have people found it complicated at first? I was reading the blurb on how to send them off on the AFA site but it fried my head a bit on the costs per figure etc.

I was also thinking of sending these 2 12 backs off to get graded. The Vader has a thin sliver torn on the back about a centimeter long and a millimeter wide. I understand it will automaticly receive no higher than a AFA75 grade on this basis but do you think it will have a fair chance of something approaching this as its in very nice shape apart from that - or do you think a tear of that size would mean I would be looking nearer to something like an AFA 50, in which case I wont bother. I'm hoping the Chewie will get an AFA 80 but its a bit of a lottery judging from the ones I already own.

Also would I be able to send them some pics for some general estimate of the grade?

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/2STRIPES/IMG_2720.jpg

Rudyard

Jedi Knight
I have thought about sending some loose figures off, but it does seem quite an expense, particularly with postage each way etc. I suppose if you send them in bulk its better, but AFA don't seem to offer much of a worthwhile discount. I guess it depends on what grades your after. It seems to me that most figures graded less than an AFA 90 can be picked up reasonably cheaply anyhow these days - at least not much more than the total cost of get them graded yourself.

I'm sure our resident loose AFA expert Inzaman will have thoughts on this :wink:

I too would like to send some carded figures, but would obviously like to have an indication beforehand as to likely grades.

That Chewbacca figure of yours looks lovely and bright!

2stripes

Jedi Master
Yeah I'm gonna have to cost it up and see if its worth it, I may send off a few just for the hell of it, particularly my Last 17's would like to see my Yak Face get a decent grade - or I may just sell it and buy one graded as the difference isn't always huge.

Rudyard

Jedi Knight
I might be mistaken but I think there was a thread on the old board by someone who sent some figures and kept us up to date with total cost and timings etc. Obviously that threads long since dead now - can't remember who posted it - it might have been twofoot ??

lee gray

Sith Lord
it is a bit expensive for loose figures judging by the price tiers

in my experience of sending figures off , usually they take longer than they should and even when your uitem arrives at its destination they dont always pick them up for a couple of days later and the fact they dont work weekends makes things take longer

the sheet is big and at first i found it hard understanding how to work out what to put for postage costs and so forth but now its easy as you only put what tier you are paying for and leave the rest blank for them to fill in

once they receive the item they take the tier fee from your credit card before they do anything else and then once they have graded it, they notify you when the item will ship out and then they take the other fees such as postage and boxes, they dont however notify you of what grade your figures get unless you ask them

even if you dont use tracking global mail with them your items are still insured third party plus they put a verylow fee on package so you dont have to pay customs plus a customs note aswell explaing it is already your figures

takes a good 8-10 days traveling there and another back plus a week for the grading so you are without your figures atleast a month, but i think its worth it if you are going to collect loose graded if you dont mind too much about the grades as otherwise you might get grades you dont like

Darth Wensleydale

Sith Lord
The two 12 backs look pretty good (from what I can see) but a small tear would limit the grade I reckon but only a little as its on the back. You are probably right with your 75 estimate. I think people get to believe that only an 80 minimum will do but a 75 is still classed as excellent + / near mint :) The staff at AFA probably wouldn't want to judge a carded figure without seeing it in person though.

With the loose figs I have sent in some recently and had 12 graded on the LS-2 scale (express 10-15 business day turn around) they cost $22 each (Ã'£11.40) with about Ã'£8-10 to send them fully insured and tracked. Return postage will be around $30-40 I guess as 12 cases will be reasonably heavy. All in all I reckon its cost me about Ã'£165 for the grading and postage. However, they are mint figs (the first 12) and I'm expecting 85's and 90's so maybe its worth it :?

If you have some really mint figures I'd say why not but otherwise it would be cheaper to sell the ungraded ones and pick up AFA'd ones of the grade you want when the price is right.

TWOFOOT

Jedi Master
Yes it was my post on the last forum. I sent 5 figures and they got grades between 80 and 90u.
The average total cost for each figure (including all postage, insurence and grading fees worked out at about Ã'£12 per figure. So it is really only worth sending minty mint and the more expensive figures to be graded.

Darth Wensleydale

Sith Lord
AFA have confirmed on their website that they will be taking submissions for grading at Celebration Europe so that'll save on postage if anyone is going.

http://toygrader.com/news.aspx

Rudyard

Jedi Knight
I'm tempted - but just a little worried about getting things damaged before they take possession. A few cards in star cases in a rucksack could easily be crunched in a crowded tube or mele in the halls. I guess there will be huge queues around the AFA booths. Nonetheless I'm still tempted.

"We know the force is strong in our European customers" Why don't you get a move on and open a bloody office here then! :evil:

inzaman

Sith Lord
TWOFOOT said:
The average total cost for each figure (including all postage, insurance and grading fees worked out at about Ã'£12 per figure. So it is really only worth sending minty mint and the more expensive figures to be graded.
Thats pretty much what it cost me when i sent mine. If your figures are mint and you want them graded and encased then imo it is well worth it. They display very nicely as well when you get a few of them together.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
i very rarely see them sell on ebay for more than the figure/grading would have cost. so IMO if you're happy with AFA 80-85 then just buy them graded in the first place.

On the other hand you can't get your hopes up too much abour getting u90's if you send them in yourself. They seem to only dish out a few a month or something, i've seen perfect figures with 80 grades.

craignwo4life

Sith Lord
TWOFOOT said:
The average total cost for each figure (including all postage, insurence and grading fees worked out at about Ã'£12 per figure.
I didn't realise it was that much. :shock:

I doubt many sellers are making much profit on 80 and 85 loose graded figures unless you get the grading a lot cheaper if you send in a bulk load of figures.

lee gray

Sith Lord
on a different relates ubject i hate the Y grade as far as i am concerened if a bubble is yellow then it is no longer perfect so when i see carded figures get a 95 grade with a y i think its dumb,

after all the same can be said if the sun fades a card, the card doesnt still get a great mark with an F grade it gets deducted so why shouldnt a yellow bubble,
same can be said for loose figures if say for example, example a stormtroopers legs go yellow and it gets deducted points for it, when really its the same case as a yellow bubble it should just get a y grade !

thats my rant over hehe

Darth Wensleydale

Sith Lord
on a different relates ubject i hate the Y grade as far as i am concerened if a bubble is yellow then it is no longer perfect so when i see carded figures get a 95 grade with a y i think its dumb,

I agree Lee, a yellow bubble really puts me off. I'd rather have an 80 with a clear buuble than a 95 with a yellow one :wink:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom