Real or Reseal

2stripes

Jedi Master
http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZbushby1969QQhtZ-1

Can you guys take a look at this guys 12 backs, he has all of them to sell but he has a feedback of 0 and I dunno whether to risk it or not. They are generally in really good condition but I can't determine if they have the waffle pattern, although he's posted extra pics and the card backs look legit.

Would you risk it? I have 9 now so could pick a couple more up here at a decent price. (I'm after Stormtrooper Jawa and Ben)

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
With feedback zero, I'd always be worried, why he has started to sell so many decent items from nowhere?

The bubbles just look too minty IMO.
I'd say after 30 odd years there should be a few blemishes or at least a degree of discolouration, they actually look as if they were made yesterday. Hence I'd be worried!

Your best bet may be to ask him if they are re-seals. You know if he doesn't reply or gives you some bullshit that he's a chancer!
I would be reluctant to bid though, unless you assume they are re-seals and adjust what your willing to pay accordingly.

spoons

Grand Master
The bubbles look fine to me, but you need close up pics to see if they are reseals, like Weasel says - just ask him.

Darth Wensleydale

Sith Lord
They don't look to bad to me. To his credit he has put supersize pics on and I can just make out a waffle pattern on the bottom of the Ben. The bubble is slightly dented on that as well and it looks old. He's answering questions properly and has Paypal. I'd say these are probably ok but its always a risk.

Ask him clearly if any of the figures are resealed, lifting or glued back down in any place and if they have the waffle pattern. If you keep the reply then that will help if you run into any problems. The fact that they are in oscars cases as well seems to imply that they've been cared for.

2stripes

Jedi Master
Darth Wensleydale said:
They don't look to bad to me. To his credit he has put supersize pics on and I can just make out a waffle pattern on the bottom of the Ben. The bubble is slightly dented on that as well and it looks old. He's answering questions properly and has Paypal. I'd say these are probably ok but its always a risk.

Ask him clearly if any of the figures are resealed, lifting or glued back down in any place and if they have the waffle pattern. If you keep the reply then that will help if you run into any problems. The fact that they are in oscars cases as well seems to imply that they've been cared for.

Yeah that was all in my line of thinking, he also turned down an offer of Ã'£300 for 3 where as if your a chancer you'd probably be happy to take whatever was going. I'll put those questions to him and see what he says.

Ta.

Jukesy

Sith Lord
They look fine to me but always be wary of low feedback/zero feedback but then again if you can win them for a low sum its probably worth it (and low sum i mean Ã'£10 :wink: )

Fitzy

Jedi Knight
Maybe ask him to take a photo with his user name in shot to ensure that he actually has them.

mash

Sith Lord
only joined on the 2nd of this month as well so for a beginner its a serious amount of stuff to put on straight away. check out the han solo carbonite he has blanked out the face of the kid on only 3 of four pictures if he is selling **** then you can hunt him down and kill him :lol: :lol:

mash

SNAGGLE

Padawan
Judging by the colours and minor creases on the cards I would be tempted to say that the cards seem original. I tend to look at the small card rectangle that the figures are standing on also. If this piece of card has a shade of colour that is different to the colour behind the figure, or looks too new I would be concerned. As for the bubbles they look pretty good to me. And as for feedback-everyone has got to start somewhere. If he has owned the 12-backs for ten years (like he says) then the purchases would have been pre ebay anyway. Keep all replies and bid with an element of suspicion is my advice. Always see auctions for what they are-and not what you want them to be. Good luck. :D

craignwo4life

Sith Lord
I'm always wary of new ebayers but sometimes it's worth a risk (at the right price).

MOC's aren't my specialty so I don't know if the cards are all 100% original but for the seller to list them along with something unusual like a life size Han Carbonite makes me believe the seller maybe legit.

vintagefan77

Padawan
Weird how the punch position is so far over on some of them. That's a genuine thing tho, strange I never noticed it before ;)

lee gray

Sith Lord
I think the sellers legit for atleast the big items as he has stated pick up only on the large size jar jar and Han carbonite where in some instances if that is the case the buyer usually would take the money with them instead of paying for it then collecting it in which then theres no chance of the con whereabouts a delivery charge on the big items would be more the ways of a con artist as they would also have the shipping money extra too

dont know about the cards though, some orf those bubbles do look a bit minty to me but thats not to say they are fake but I never knew acrylic cases had been around for ten years though

TWOFOOT

Jedi Master
I would be very carefull. If he has a collection like that i would imagime some must of come from ebay so why is his account so new??
It is very easy to steal pictures of genuine items from previous genuine ebay auctions.
What i allways do if i am unsure is get them to take a picture of the item with todays date written on a bit of paper in the picture then you will know if he really has the items.

Rudyard

Jedi Knight
Don't all these middle men just piss you off at times?! I had my eye on one or two of those cards, but they've now gone beyond my budget. I notice that the current highest bidder for quite a number of them is redstartoys - an ebayer I guess many of you will have heard of. I'm not getting at this guy in particular, but the guys behind these ebay shops generally annoy me. They may or may not be operating in our 'World' for nostalgic reasons, but they just all end up bumping up prices for their own financial benefit. Here was an opportunity for collectors to get hold of some carded figures for what could have been possible discounts to market rates, and then some guy comes along to get them all, no doubt only to try to sell them on again quickly for a huge mark up in his shop. I know that any market where prices are significant will attract 'middle men' who try to leverage either way, but it just pisses me off. :evil:
... Or maybe I'm just a bitter fool

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom