Vintage Star Wars compulsion, please help!

captainhancock

Padawan
Hi all. I've recently developed some kind of mental illness. I can't stop thinking about vintage Star Wars figures. I went on ebay to buy a loose one as a gift for a mate and ended up getting myself a Tie Fighter Pilot too. A day or two later I found myself buying another. then watching you tube vids of collections. So now I have 2 speeder bikes and another two figures in the post..is this how it starts? Where will it end? Should I hide this from my family?

Banton989

Jedi Knight
I'd suggest crack instead if it's not too late, probably cheaper in the long run!

Welcome to the slippery slope mate, jump in, the waters nice and warm :D

Adam

Stargeezer

Sith Lord
timbo72 said:
Crack is less addictive

Haha, i can allready imagine a 40 year old guy standing up in the rehab group.... :lol:

Hi my name is Dennis and i am an addict.... i am addicted to.... Star wars toy's from the 70's-80's...
Last month i spend more money then my paycheck is on stuff i bought online.... Flea markets, Ebay Sniping, browsing forums to negotiate deal, i do it all... all i am telling ya.
I browsed the forums and ebay at least 6 hours a day and bought duplicates of things i allready had... thought about selling the duplicates to make profit, but i can't then they are not mine anymore....plus many are variants, so technically they are not duplicates and i should keep them....
I need HELP.... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Stargeezer said:
timbo72 said:
Crack is less addictive

Haha, i can allready imagine a 40 year old guy standing up in the rehab group.... :lol:

Hi my name is Dennis and i am an addict.... i am addicted to.... Star wars toy's from the 70's-80's...
Last month i spend more money then my paycheck is on stuff i bought online.... Flea markets, Ebay Sniping, browsing forums to negotiate deal, i do it all... all i am telling ya.
I browsed the forums and ebay at least 6 hours a day and bought duplicates of things i allready had... thought about selling the duplicates to make profit, but i can't then they are not mine anymore....plus many are variants, so technically they are not duplicates and i should keep them....
I need HELP.... :cry: :cry: :cry:

:lol: love it Dennis

Denial, self justification, obsessive, all traits we can recognise here :D

Love the " they are variants..so technically they are not duplicates" :lol: brilliant :!: ( but true!)

Got to love this SW addiction, on a serious note, there are def worse things in the world.... :?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
The good news is that as long as you put in a bit of effort and buy wisely (eg avoid Bryans Toys) you're unlikely to lose much money on anything you buy, you may even make money on some things when the time comes to sell. So I wouldn't worry about, for example, spending your disposable income on the hobby as you can always sell later. Look at it like a savings account!

However what you really need to ensure you do is stay in control and don't buy above your means. Don't use credit cards, loans, borrow money, sell other stuff, deprive your kids of food etc to fund the hobby. THAT is when it is out of control. It may sound stupid, but there was a story a while back on RS about a guy that ended up having to sell his house after a divorce because he had spent so much money on toys :oops:

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
The good news is that as long as you put in a bit of effort and buy wisely (eg avoid Bryans Toys) you're unlikely to lose much money on anything you buy, you may even make money on some things when the time comes to sell. So I wouldn't worry about, for example, spending your disposable income on the hobby as you can always sell later. Look at it like a savings account!

However what you really need to ensure you do is stay in control and don't buy above your means. Don't use credit cards, loans, borrow money, sell other stuff, deprive your kids of food etc to fund the hobby. THAT is when it is out of control. It may sound stupid, but there was a story a while back on RS about a guy that ended up having to sell his house after a divorce because he had spent so much money on toys :oops:

The voice of reason..hats off to you Edd...great advice, and worth paying attention to for anyone taking up the hobby.

Great advice to buy wisely, my advice would be to spend some time on this forum, looking at historical information and the experiences of the seasoned collectors on here, learn from that and take it on board.
Decide on an area you want to concentrate on, in line with your budget,

I.e. MOCS, loose figures, playsets, loose vehicles, boxed vehicles, or maybe childhood figures you had and you want to own again. DON'T buy on a whim, and try to be structured in your Approach, or you will find that you just own SW branded items, as opposed to starting a collection for you!

When you make purchases, ALWAYS look at the for sale threads on here, or put up a Wanted. Request for what your looking for, the guys on here will look after you and provide you with genuine SW pieces, and you are not taking a chance on eBay for example, whit repro weapons or dodgy deals.
There are some great sellers on here, very fair prices, and genuine SW goodness :!:

Personally for me, it's about owning a piece of SW history, and condition is not the priority,

The other thing to remember, is that there is a vast wealth of knowledge on this forum, and the guys on here are happy to answer questions, and it's surprising what you learn.

Aside from all of the advice....have fun with it, after all it's a hobby,

Welcome on board pal, :D

mumbo

Sith Lord
Dont worry your normal....................on here :wink: Welcome abouad the good ship SWFUK :)

paulcalf

Jedi Knight
Love it, this thread is so true to many of us.

Then there is the pricing consideration: do you tell family & friends the real price or 'protect' them by at least halfing what you tell them you have spent

Stargeezer

Sith Lord
paulcalf said:
Love it, this thread is so true to many of us.

Then there is the pricing consideration: do you tell family & friends the real price or 'protect' them by at least halfing what you tell them you have spent

I think i recently caught myself and can say that i found out, i Did not Always told the real price to my wife. We where talking about my collection and i said exactly how much i spend On my 12 Back set... Guess she expected a way lower number going by her reaction.

Mostly when i tell the price, my sentence ends with.... But i bought it at a bargain price, do you realise how much i get for it in return if i sell it again?

captainhancock

Padawan
Thanks for the support/enablement. So 4 Lom arrived today. I was putting his coat on correctly when there was a knock at the door. For a moment I froze in genuine panic, I'm a grown man dressing an action figure in a little coat! I decided to shove him under the table cloth before answering!

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
captainhancock said:
Thanks for the support/enablement. So 4 Lom arrived today. I was putting his coat on correctly when there was a knock at the door. For a moment I froze in genuine panic, I'm a grown man dressing an action figure in a little coat! I decided to shove him under the table cloth before answering!

:lol: :lol: Classic, not being pedantic, but is a vintage 4 Lom, don't devalue him by the collective "action figure" term

Only joking bud, just get you going :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bramistuta25

Sith Lord
It does crack me up how you guys never tell your other halves exactly what your collection is worth... Unfortunately when you pass on you'd better leave a detailed will or they will be selling it to me for £150!

I tell the wife exactly what its worth, its my money anyway.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom