Starting Collection

SammyJ

Padawan
Hi all,
Been a massive Star Wars fan for years now, but recently I've really had the urge to start a vintage collection. I'm completely new to it all so i was just wondering if you guys would be able to help me out :D
I just have simple questions like where you think I should start, best places to purchase, that sort of thing. Link to different posts and websites would be really helpful!

Thanks in advance guys!

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Hi sammy welcome to the forum, If I was you I would start with one of each figure.

You can buy on this forum, see the link http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=4

You can also buy on Ebay, but there is a lot of bad sellers on Ebay.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Welcome to the forum- the forum on here is a great place to start.

There is a lot to learn, so ask lots of questions.

Beware of fakes and repros that are in abundance on ebay.

Dublinjeff

Grand Master
Hi mate,

You have come to the right place for advice anyway. Some genuine experts on here that can help you find out what you want to know.

Sound advice there from Lars and Grant :D

For what it's worth, my two cents would be, maybe putting together a loose collection is the best bet. That way you can get a feel for what interests you as a collector. It can be easy to get sidetracked when you're just starting out, I found anyway. As you build your collection, it might turn out to be that MOC (carded figures) is for you. Every collector is different

With regards to buying items, look no further than the 'Vintage sales thread' right here. There isn't much you can't find. There are a number of reputable sellers including myself :lol: on here. If you are looking for loose figures Iain on here will most likely be able to sort you out with some great deals.

With regards to eBay, yes there are deals/bargains to be had, BUT, be careful with REPRO accessories, stock photos, the new GSP charge for the USA to mention just a few issues.

Basically each collector is different. Collect for you. Maybe it's figures you had as a kid, boxed vehicle's, whatever. Just pick up pieces that make you happy.

Cheers
Jeff

SammyJ

Padawan
Cheers for the advice! Yeah i think starting with a loose collection is best, and looking forward to getting stuck in, in the forum!

Sam

wrighty

Sith Lord
Welcome to the forum. You have definitely come to the right place. I am relatively new myself and have learnt so much in the last 6 months or so. I suggest you have think about what you might want to collect and as Jeff suggest a set of loose figures to start off with is a great idea. What I have learnt is to have patience and don't rush to buy something if it is not right (especially price or query original), there will always be another coming up soon. In saying that there are some exceptionally rare pieces that comes up once in a while. Hope it helps. All the best!! Simon

x-pack

Grand Master
Hello. Most people started with a loose figure run. Do that but avoid EBay as its rife with fake weapons. Take your time and enjoy collecting :)

Kenner76

Padawan
Welcome! I totally agree with what has been said. A loose figure run is a good way to start. This hobby is a lot of fun and very rewarding, however it does get very addicting. Happy hunting!! :D

itfciain

Grand Master
Dublinjeff said:
If you are looking for loose figures Iain on here will most likely be able to sort you out with some great deals.

Yeah, I've heard that Iain is pretty good :wink:

Drop him a PM with the figures that you want and I am sure he can sort you out with some crackers :lol:

poncho

Grand Master
"Star Wars": The Action Figure Archive by steve sansweet....you can get this for £10 shows vintage also modern my first starwars figure book and read many times 8)

Star Wars Vintage Action Figures: A Guide for Collectors by john kellerman. the ultimate companion for a vintage collector but this comes with a hefty price. out of print published in 2003 and valued at £75-£125 now

SammyJ

Padawan
Just searched the Steve Sansweet book, and it looks awsome 8) Where did you get it for £10 though :lol: ?

captainhancock

Padawan
Alright mate, I'm pretty new as well. I've started collecting loose figures, got nine now off eBay.

I reckon 90% of the weapons from there are fakes. Often figures have paint rubs and tiny marks that don't show up on photographs. I also received a free pubic hair with a Jedi knight Luke I bought from there.

I got pointed towards Rebel Scum and www.imperialgunnery.com there's loads of photo on archives there. But even after looking way to long at tiny guns with a magnifying glass I still can't tell the fecking difference.

I got my first "mint on card" figure recently and recieved good advice about that. Put it up on the wall in a star case today in fact. It looks fecking great too.

SammyJ

Padawan
captainhancock said:
Alright mate, I'm pretty new as well. I've started collecting loose figures, got nine now off eBay.

I reckon 90% of the weapons from there are fakes. Often figures have paint rubs and tiny marks that don't show up on photographs. I also received a free pubic hair with a Jedi knight Luke I bought from there.

I got pointed towards Rebel Scum and http://www.imperialgunnery.com there's loads of photo on archives there. But even after looking way to long at tiny guns with a magnifying glass I still can't tell the fecking difference.

I got my first "mint on card" figure recently and recieved good advice about that. Put it up on the wall in a star case today in fact. It looks fecking great too.

Similar worries to me then, pretty sure I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Think i'm going to get the majority of purchases from here, may take me longer to get going, but at least I what ill be getting is legit.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
You can't really go wrong if you buy from a trusted member on here or another forum. Everybody has a reputation to maintain, check the feedback forum.

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
captainhancock said:
I reckon 90% of the weapons from there are fakes.

Probably the nearest made up on the spot statistic ever quoted...

captainhancock said:
I also received a free pubic hair with a Jedi knight Luke I bought from there.

Wasn't from Mumbo was it :lol: :lol: :lol: He loves to give away a freebie :D

captainhancock

Padawan
captainhancock said:
I also received a free pubic hair with a Jedi knight Luke I bought from there.

Wasn't from Mumbo was it :lol: :lol: :lol: He loves to give away a freebie :D[/quote]

Dunno, the DNA test has yet to be returned. It was very black if that helps. The figure really was in excellent condition, so I left positive feedback...anyway..I think I'll just go wash my hands again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom