Vintage figures on Cut Cards - Opinions?!

Bramistuta25

Sith Lord
Hi guys,

I just wanted to get peoples opinions on:

Cut Cards - To open or not to open, that is the question??

I know a lot of people buy these and grade them, but I was thinking about a MINT loose set and see this as the only way to do it unless I buy U-graded which I DO NOT want to do or fund really?!

Thanks.

Bram
:D

jambobbyb

Jedi Master
There are millions of Mint figures out there, No need to open anything and certainly no reason to buy U-graded stuff, To me there is no condition difference between a straight 85 and a U85.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yes and no - there are millions of loose figures out there in condition equal to carded figures, however I think people often have unrealistic expectations that there is such thing as a truly mint figure. No figures were ever mint in the first place - they all have minor rubs, scratches, paint over-applied, etc. I've never seen an AFA 100 figure, the majority of carded ones are only 85 so that shows just what a fruitless task it is to set yourself.

As for your question, ultimately it's up to you but personally I wouldn't want to open a cut carded figure.

Bramistuta25

Sith Lord
jambobbyb said:
There are millions of Mint figures out there, No need to open anything and certainly no reason to buy U-graded stuff, To me there is no condition difference between a straight 85 and a U85.

Agreed there is no difference with the uncirculated to circulated but once graded it costs you a minimum of £20 per figure if your lucky, but the problem is that one persons MINT is another persons NEAR MINT or even C8.5.

I don't see what cut cards are good for?? Hence the question as I think that regardless of what I do, eventually they will all be opened up...

I will wait for opinions and maybe buy them but keep them in cut cards for display?

Richard_H

Grand Master
If you want mint figures then buy one from a seller. If it's **** go to seller 2. If it's good stay with seller 1. Worked well for me.

Now cut figures whether to open them.... I'd say no. They don't have the same historic value but a value they have and I'd leave as is. Though, how would you display them?

Bramistuta25

Sith Lord
What value do they have though matey?

Like you said it would be a struggle to display them nicely.

Plus, if you go from seller to seller then I believe your wasting money on postage etc... All I meant by MINT (which I should have re-phrased) was that it was as MINT as it was the day it got packaged. I know what Edd is saying about there being no MINT figures, btu I figured this was the best way of doing it without damaging the hobby??

As I said before I will take all comments and opinions on board, but already I am looking at maybe buying these and keeping them on cut cards...

Maybe I will be nicknamed the U-GRADE NEMISIS and fight for what's right!! :wink:

Richard_H

Grand Master
I don't mean money value I mean historical value.
Not sure about your postage point? Doesn't matter if you buy from seller a or b same price?

plantman

Sith Lord
if its already on a cut card its up to you really, i dont see any harm as you cant display a cut card well.

But if was a rare Ledy or VC Jawa ect i would keep it like it was, just my personal view.

a cut card figure would only appeal to a U grader anyway, you either want a loose figure to display or a moc, a cut card is neither.

plantman

Sith Lord
as long as your not destroying moc for monetery gain you do what you want with it mate.

i had a badly damaged/cracked bubble squid head moc and i opened it, he still sits in my collection and he still smells brand new, it gave me a flashback and still does when i smell him.....yes im sad lol

Bramistuta25

Sith Lord
Just to clarify, I would NEVER damage a MOC figure as long as it couldn't or hasn't been removed previously from the bubble I am strictly talking about cards that have been cut up and damaged beyond repair that will be bound for U-graders and their financial gain. :wink:

EDIT: LOVE THAT SMELL!!

batman

Padawan
A cut card plus a rare cardback can make a nice displayable combination for collectors on a budget or a nice place holder for a really hard to find moc, so to me there is an added value to a cut card over a minty figure.
If you do decide to open them i bet there's even someone out there that would be happy to pay you for the opened piece of card with blister.

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
Bramistuta25 said:
tiefighterboy said:
Cut ones also make great candidates to restore and place back onto a cardback.

Do you mean the bubbles Todd?

I mean the whole thing....the figure sealed to the cut portion with the bubble. As far as damaging the hobby...it is not in my opinion, but as Edd pointed out those figures get beat up raddling around in those bubbles for decades.

Now If you open and U grade them....while it is not destroying a carded example persay...I will still put yur balls in a vice...but I know that is not what your after.

Richard_H

Grand Master
Because they've been cut by shops for .... Easier storage? Not sure.
Doesn't slapping price stickers on damage them to an extent?

Regardless i don't think opening them would cause that much of a fuss as they are heavily damaged.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom