Gray Hoth Trooper facts and not fiction

ace

Jedi Knight
Hi Everyone

ok its time to clear up another untrue story that's been going around for 20 years so let the debate begin and lets see the truth come out on here like it did on the Toni figures that history can be found and set straight.

This forum has been a place that the truth can come out on even when people did not like to here the truth and that is very important i feel for the collecting world .

This is the background / History to this figure.

The history of the item is exactly what i have stated for the past 20 years.

The Trooper came from several small traders in the Coventry area back in the 90s who used to sell at Allen Gill's sic-fi show in Coventry that was held twice a year in the early 90s.

I originally paid between £4 to £12 ? Each for them , one trader had around 4 of them at one show and after I bought them I ask him to look out for more as I would buy more if he could find more , then the next time at the show this same trader brought in 2 more and another trader also came in with another 2 more I think ? I know one of his had been badly damaged by bring bitten by a kid or a dog of something but i only paid £2 for that one

At the same time the main trader also sold me 21B micro bacta fluid centre an unpainted figures and fx7 figures both unreleased figures , these cost me back then very little I think it was like £8 to £12 each, i resold these micro figures for around £50 to £60 each i think back then as they were very much sorted after?.

Some other traders that was around at this show was Jim Stevenson, Alan Gill the organiser David Oliver, Kev Paul , Gary Mcgwier I think he was there also , i think they will vouch that these events did take pace ,some my remembers me buying them back then ? Maybe not as it was a long time ago.

The interesting thing about the troopers are the longer I had them the darker they became , i do not know for shore, but the limb plastic must have been a fluty or a second plastic and the sun affected the colour it seemed, so the more they were exposed the darker they became and if you damaged the surfers of the plastic the wight colour was still underneath but again over time the new exposed white plastic gos grey ,

So its in the plastic not something pained onto it. i think they may have been rejected by Palitoy and just ether given to the staff or just dumped when the factory closed ? anyway in the early 90s there were there for the picking

I put a price on the Hoth trooper for around £30 each back then and it took along time to sell them as most people did not care about them back then.

I took some with the me to sell in Florida and did sell one or two there , I also took one Hoth trooper to Mike Standards Toyrific show in pasadena in the early 90s, at that show a German prop maker and star wars collector Tim Katzer asked me lots of questions around the figure and said it was just painted , I explained to him what I understood that the plastic has changed colour and I thought it was to do with sunlight affecting bad plastic and it was not painted he insisted that it was painted and I remember say that's fine then your not interested in buying it then so do not worry about it as I just could not be bothered about expelling something to someone that dose not want to listen, I had a reputation of never being on my stand ever when I was a dealer :) and when I was away from my stand Tim took the liberty to take a pocket Knife and cut into the foot and see if it was white under the surface , which is was , he then went around the show saying it was painted , the fact that he damaged someone property with out asking did not seem to bother this guy who I have never had any time for him after this day as he created this story and never wanted to listen.

Now that is how this story started so I think its now time to get to the TRUTH in the open so these figures history is not lost for everover a stupid lie.

Now I have just found one of these figures in my storage and I have talked to Lee Bullock about looking into these figures to find out once and for all what they are made of ?.

Lee tells me that there are test that he can do on this figure to find out what they are made of, I think he said that he was a chemist ? Sorry Lee if I have under credited you mate but anyway he has offered to do some tests on the figure.

When I meet up with Lee next I will give him this figure and he will test it , I know 100% that these are genuine figures as I bought them back in the day and for very little , I know this will all be proven that they are not painted and everyone will feel the same way about them as I do then.

what I feel would help us all now is what these figures are and want to know now is what info the lose figure collectors can shine on these to help with there history, I have taken some photos of this figure so maybe some info can be gained by looking at these figures in detail and there markings ?

Any help or info on this figure would be very much appreciated

I look forward to its history to finally come out

Jason

ace

Jedi Knight
10250262_10154073770285294_7379497476508659506_n.jpg

ace

Jedi Knight
[https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/1609789_10154073774135294_3683328481338584717_n.jpg/img]

[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/10003462_10154073776770294_8568727089518977691_n.jpg

10250255_10154073777355294_1881358691314127436_n.jpg

10013872_10154073779765294_8015539174006813333_n.jpg

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Welcome back Jason. :)

Thanks for getting Billy Dee for London. :wink:

Had a great time in Cardiff, especially getting the Jabba crew to sign.

Hoth Trooper?

Lets make 100 posts :wink:

Grant.

Palifan

Sith Lord
Good to see a post from you Jason and also nice to see some pictures (always great to see some of your pics! :D ).

The one thing I didn't totally understand from your thread was why the trooper was white once the guy cut into it. Does this mean that the grey colour limbs aren't grey all the way through? It's always hard to tell something from pictures but the figure doesn't appear to be painted from what I can see but it does seem odd that the grey is only on the surface, especially with it looking so even and not patchy. Not sure if you have any thoughts about this but it is an odd one.

Look forward to reading what comes out of this (especially with the scientists, hopefully they've got nothing to do with the Dharma initiative :lol: ) .

Ian

walkie

Sith Lord
Do you have any photos inside the foot holes?

Seeing the white marks/chips are you sure they aren't painted?

I can see but it does seem odd that the grey is only on the surface, especially with it looking so even and not patchy

The limbs could have been sprayed and not painted by brush?

itfciain

Grand Master
I am sure I have a grey limbed Hoth Stormtrooper somewhere - will get some pics sorted

Palifan

Sith Lord
walkie said:
Do you have any photos inside the foot holes?

Seeing the white marks/chips are you sure they aren't painted?

I can see but it does seem odd that the grey is only on the surface, especially with it looking so even and not patchy

The limbs could have been sprayed and not painted by brush?

This is always the problem with pictures, it could be sprayed but I get the feeling Jason would know this with it in hand. All I can think is that they used two different colour plastics in the the mould for some reason, maybe testing the mould out with what ever they had to hand? I also noticed that Jason said they became darker over time but I'm not sure they would go from white to that colour, it seems way too dark and all the white figures I've ever seen that discolour always go yellow. I did notice that white patch on one of the arms though….interesting.

More to follow :D

theslider

Sith Lord
Good to see photos of the fabled grey limbed Hoth trooper. I'm thinking they're factory errors, but who knows!

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
I seem to remember seeing these at a show in the early 90's, and never gave them much thought, I just had them down as a factory error. Wonder how much one of these would fetch now?

Lee's the man to get to the bottom of this though, having a degree in Nuclear Physics!

Bootyhunter

Jedi Master
Just looking at the pictures they do not appear to be painted, possible a batch of inferior plastic was used
which caused them to discolour?
Maybe the YTS kid was colour blind.. :lol:

ace

Jedi Knight
hi all thank you for a open and decent discussion which is what i have become to expect on here with its members to thank you for reading.

to your points and more info.

it is 100% not painted you cannot scratch it off nor chip at it.

the white flecks you see in some of the photos are bits of white plastic that have not change colour over the years.

the Gary is not pure Grey its a little bit brown and swirly in places but its getting harder to see now as time go's on and the Gary gets darker.

when i bought them some were darker than others and one or two were very light Grey lighter than say a AT AT driver nearer white that Grey but as i say 20 years on they have become dark Grey.

looking inside the foot holes they are also Grey

i thought at the time that they were ether factory errors or test shots ?

i have now had 3 other people say that they have one of these i am starting to wonder how many are out there maybe we can get a list of how many there are in collectors hands ?

this is starting to gather pace and info is coming out so this is working thanks everyone for the help on this mystery

talk soon

Jason

ace

Jedi Knight
hi Mate

i do not know that is not my field , but i know it is Lees field so i am hoping he can just look at it maybe do a biopsy on a bit of it and work out its story :)

if only stuff could talk, it would solve a lot or hard work for historians like me :)

then i would not have a job :)

j

ace

Jedi Knight
itfciain said:
I am sure I have a grey limbed Hoth Stormtrooper somewhere - will get some pics sorted

do you remember where you got yours from ?

i am wondering now how many are out there ?

j

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom