Lost the collecting bug!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Hey guys, sorry I haven't been on here for absolutely ages but there's been a few reasons.

I feel like I've really fell out of love with collecting. CE brought it back temporarily but since then I've been conned 3 times in a row, totalling almost Ã'£600 :shock:
What pisses me off is the fact there's nothing I can do to get my money back despite knowing bank details, addresses etc. I paid by bank transfer and paypal, and I've come to the conclusion that neither are safe. :(

It got me thinking that despite losing Ã'£600, I have a hell of a lot of money tied up in "toys" that could probably be better spent elsewhere. Also, I know that the amount of money and time I was spending on the hobby palyed a big part in ruining my personal life over the last 6 months, so perhaps it's time to call it a day.

Anybody else ever feel like this? I love Star Wars more than most things, but I'm coming to realise it's a shady hobby ruined for everyone by a minority. :|

Darth Wensleydale

Sith Lord
Theres a lot of tossers about on ebay at the moment. They need a blowtorch and a pair of pliers taking to them :evil:

I lost interest a few years ago as I had a lot of money tied up in stuff and I needed money for a new house, wedding car etc :roll: I then came back to it and am really enjoying collecting the Palitoys. However, theres just so much stuff its knowing where to draw the line. I think I am going to finish my 12 back set and that will be it other than upgrading some of the first 20 as and when I can.

I have a few mint Palitoy Jedi and Tri-logo figs but I think I will have to sell them on along with the rest of the Kenner stuff I have as I've overspent recently :oops:

Maybe take a break but definitely keep your Luke Bespin focus as you've put so much hard work into it 8)

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I think everyone goes through a period like that Edd, when you sit down and realise how much you have spent both time and money wise on tracking down some 30 year old plastic and cardboard.

Just don't make any rash decisions about selling up, take a while to think about it. You may feel differently in a month or two. If you don't then maybe your past the collecting stage (for the moment).

As Darth says, give it a while and then decide what you wanna do.

How's things anyway? Not seen you on in ages.

Darth Wensleydale

Sith Lord
A few bad deals does make you question the whole collecting thing as well, especially when you start thinking about the value of it all.

A few good ones though and the world is a much better place :)

I'm going through a bad deal at the moment with an ebay seller named lomtstore. They've been absolutely slated on RS but I didn't see the warning posts in time. I'm sending the item back to them for a full refund but I don't think it'll be so easy :evil:

spoons

Grand Master
Sorry to hear that Edd, but as the other guys say just take a break but don't sell off anything just yet. You may get the bug back :D

You could look at the expense of anything and see it as wasted money - I spend Ã'£250 a year on a daily newspaper and have nothing to show for it.

Every time i scale down I regret it instantly, sharing my collection with my kids helps keep me interested. I've just bought a load of the microsets for my kids :D

Just put your collection in storage for the time being :D

craignwo4life

Sith Lord
I'm in a similar position but with me there is very little left for me to collect and having a bad deal never helps. :( I have most of the variants I want, all of the bootlegs I like and I have no room for MOC'S and ships plus they don't interest me.

I am trying to save money so I have bought very little recently and it's the first time in 3 years that I am saving more than I am spending !! :oops:

I am tempted to sell all of my items when I see the crazy prices a variant collection can go for but I regretted selling my original figures 17 years ago so I want to keep hold of these for a little while longer !! 8)

jabbawokkie

Grand Master
spoons said:
Sorry to hear that Edd, but as the other guys say just take a break but don't sell off anything just yet. You may get the bug back :D

You could look at the expense of anything and see it as wasted money - I spend Ã'£250 a year on a daily newspaper and have nothing to show for it.

Every time i scale down I regret it instantly, sharing my collection with my kids helps keep me interested. I've just bought a load of the microsets for my kids :D

so you say he should get some kids :D :wink:

spencerjb22

Jedi Knight
oh mate sorry to hear that, but seriously you are our leader, you were the one that started this webiste, you can walk out on us all...hahaha.

what happened with the deals mate? sounds like you got proper screwed?

spoons

Grand Master
jabbawokkie said:
spoons said:

so you say he should get some kids :D :wink:

It might help take his mind off things :wink:

han duo

Sith Lord
edd my advice to you is...................

if you really have had a stomach full of collecting (either because of twats ripping you off or just the consumption of time in your life) box them up as best as you can and place them in storage in you house or a close relative just so you know they are safe.... if you sell them one day you will be gutted ( and if anyone asks why - there for when you hit 60, your buying a sports car or a around the world cruse).... anyway dont sell as money comes and go's things like these vintage s/w toys are becoming scarce due to greedy collectors ( like most of us on here :lol: :lol: )

this is what you need to do to make you feel better.... are you ready!

get the names/address/bank details from the wankers that have ripped you off and wait till sunday get all the sunday papers and look to the backs of all the magazines too look for things like..
1.elvis memrobila plates
2.princess diana stuff
3.hearing aids
4.orniments of animals
5.dvd clubs
6.music clubs
7.cataloges
basicly anything you can subcribe to using there details.. send it all off - thats them ****ed cause they either pay for all the **** youve sent them or they have to send it back .. or they keep it and get black listed! - which will cost them.. then when they figure out whats gone on (which they will never know it you) they will have to change all there personel account details .. and thats a buggerance due to people have direct debits for there day to day living they need to change everything!! :twisted: :twisted: ...enjoy ! :lol:

Jukesy

Sith Lord
Han's the man with the plan....hey that ryhmed :p

Sorry to hear that Edd, its one of the worse feelings you can having knowing you have been ripped off and there nothing that nobody can do about it!! Im on the look out for a new house and with money being spent i cannot justify to keep spending the amount i already have but if you think about all the money over years you have spent are you willing to let all that go to waste??

Im certainly not....are you?

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
They wouldn't know what hit them, people ACTUALLY posting! :shock: :lol: (Joking)

Are most people on here not members of IOP anyway?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom