My bowl of shame...

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
So, armed with the TIG weapons guide, I matched up all my weapons with the correct loose figures and did the float test to see what repros I had.

Here is my bowl of shame:-

1C520A0A-F1CF-4B74-959A-3B07AE6FC187_zpsmst7jwoi.jpg

And here are the offenders all laid out:-

3D1DA753-7C00-4A47-84AE-D19A96E6DA3D_zpswmmjblcj.jpg

How deep is your bowl of shame?

:)

Jason

itfciain

Grand Master
I wouldn't write of the vader sabre just yet - unless you know it came from a know repro seller - they can sink and float in the float test

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
itfciain said:
I wouldn't write of the vader sabre just yet - unless you know it came from a know repro seller - they can sink and float in the float test

It's bright red and a completely different colour to the other vader sabres too.

Jason

x-pack

Grand Master
I would be too scared to throw anything away for that very reason :? There are a few things that I know are fake. Might follow suit and bin 'em

Lom

Jedi Master
Supporter
Do we absolutely know that all of the original weapons will float? Mine are all sitting in a small bag in the loft so I'm tempted to throw them in a bowl of water and see what happens. They're all from my childhood so there are definitely no repros there.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
You have to be careful, as Iain pointed out some vintage sink.

So that would be interesting if you threw your loft goodies in a bowl, try it and see mate, would be an interesting clip if you filmed it,

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Where do we stand on this?

If you collect on a budget, have for example, an Amanaman figure for display, but no staff, a staff turns up through a friend but its repro, you display with repro until you can purchase the real thing, when you do, you keep the repro in the drawer, and for example, you do not pass on unless to a trusted friend or member on here ( for free) so they can do exactly the same.

This way you are not funding repros ( which will be produced and bought wether we like it or not), ethical forum members would not sell on as vintage.

So in essence only used as fill ins

BTW...I have an Amanaman I bought on here with a dodgy arm ( which I add..was pointed out clearly and I bought it for that reason...A. Because it was affordable. B. because I like rescuing items that others would not want..it adds even more character to the piece to me). I don't have a problem with doing what I said above...but then again, I'm not the type that would try and sell it on as vintage.

The whole repro thing boils down to supply and demand as with everything, it's when unscrupulous people pass them on as vintage. Repros will always exist.

I have a nice Armani watch that I picked up on Ebay years ago for £70 and they were around £380 RRP. Had it checked and it was kosher...so happy with that
Wanted a Railmaster Omega...couldn't afford it...but would never had bought a Swiss copy

So it's swings and roundabouts on repro...always going to be a very contentious issue

SOJ

Sith Lord
Here's mine from a few months back :( Similar story, went through the entire collection and fond 11 out 90 plus figures had repro.

Replaced the last of these on at FF6 with an original emperors cane. :)

These were all sold to me as original over the last 15 years. Thought I had a good handle on picking out the fakes. Will be more cautious in future.

it's very satisfying knowing I'm now 100% original.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 693

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Lom said:
Do we absolutely know that all of the original weapons will float? Mine are all sitting in a small bag in the loft so I'm tempted to throw them in a bowl of water and see what happens. They're all from my childhood so there are definitely no repros there.

Good question mate I would try it but there all in afa cases, let me no the result.

ZippyNL

Padawan
Does the opposite also apply? If they all float are they all genuine?

I only have a few that I'm doubting, which are all stormtrooper blasters that I acquired over the last few years. I was building an army and never knowingly bought a repro, but there were a couple of times where the seller didn't state whether they were genuine, and I didn't ask. However I made sure to store them all away from my genuine ones from my childhood.
Having seen this post just now I though I'd test them to see which sunk, and to my surpise all of them floated!

Does this mean they're all genuine, or is it more complicated than that?

SOJ

Sith Lord
ZippyNL said:
Does the opposite also apply? If they all float are they all genuine?

I only have a few that I'm doubting, which are all stormtrooper blasters that I acquired over the last few years. I was building an army and never knowingly bought a repro, but there were a couple of times where the seller didn't state whether they were genuine, and I didn't ask. However I made sure to store them all away from my genuine ones from my childhood.
Having seen this post just now I though I'd test them to see which sunk, and to my surpise all of them floated!

Does this mean they're all genuine, or is it more complicated than that?

See the guide on TIG. There is also the drop test.

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
I would rather display my figures without weapons rather than displaying with a reproduction weapon, every time i'd would look at my collection I would know it's was riddled with repros.

I have accidentally bought a couple of repros and both have been chucked in a small box in my garage and at some point I will follow Jez's lead in another thread.

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Feels good having my collection room repro free. It's the vintage equivalent of having a really good wash.

:p

Jason

itfciain

Grand Master
General rule of thumb is if they sink (with exceptions) then they are repro - if they do float (even after being pushed under) then there is a very good chance they are genuine but not 100%

From memory (and I always forget one) the weapons/staffs that SHOULD sink are Yoda Cane, Gammy Guard Axe, Logray Axe, Teebo Staff, Amanaman Staff

The R2 pop up sabre will float but will sink when pushed. The genuine telescopic sabres sink and float so this is not the right test for them

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
I do realise and appreciate that not everyone has the budget for every vintage figure they want to be MOC and indeed there are some collectors that do prefer loose figures! But I guess the way to know ur figure's accessory is 100% original is to have it MOC with the figure :p

Well done Jason on doing ur v best to rid urself of all repros :D

ZippyNL

Padawan
Thanks for the info guys, checked the TIG guide as well, looks like they are all genuine - result!

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Hi mate, sorry to see all this repro weapons. The only one in that bowl that can be original is the saber for vader. All the others in that bowl should float :wink:

There are also other original weapons that sinks. But between the ones you have in the bowl only the vader saber can be original. Original vader sabers sinks and other floats.

Try to use uv light on the sabers in a dark room to see if it glow :wink:

Section 8

Sith Lord
"From memory (and I always forget one) the weapons/staffs that SHOULD sink are Yoda Cane, Gammy Guard Axe, Logray Axe, Teebo Staff, Amanaman Staff

The R2 pop up sabre will float but will sink when pushed."

Just to add that, from memory too, that I think the Yoda cane acts the same as the pop up sabre and will sink when pushed.

I no longer own one since I sold my loose set. :cry: Regrets are seeping in.

Lom

Jedi Master
Supporter
I mentioned a few days back in this thread that I'd chuck my vintage accesories in a bowl of water to see what floats; I am in the fortunate position of knowing that I have no repros as I had them all as a nipper and haven't purchased anything since.

What I have found is nothing illuminating and just corroborates what others have said before.....

Incidentally - apologies for the creased up looking tea towel; would have done something about that if it wasn't for this damn lethargy!

1. A pile of accessories.

C35A648E-5F74-49FA-B108-CD297753725E_zpsxmgrjoxi.jpg

2. Floaters still in the bowl - sinkers hooked out.

588BBC9E-86E7-4F80-ACF6-A36758BB1FED_zpsybbocvie.jpg

3. The floaters.

BE505A74-B2FA-4DFE-8182-062EBE922C98_zpsd7oe7ouy.jpg

4. The sinkers.

1C9CDDF4-2DDF-4910-8B6A-EB940759B034_zpsp59c2grl.jpg

60 something accessories there and I think I've got a few more figures than that so there maybe some more to come; also I have not included the sabres that are in the figures arms since I can't find the box with the figures in at the moment!

Oh, and Yoda cane didn't need pushing - sank like a stone!

Hope that helps someone!

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
good stuff.. its like tomorrows world or that's life in 'ere.

I have a theory that people who make repro's sink too.. :evil: can we try that?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom