Anyone now feel this is a hobby for millionaires?

Captainsolo1978

Jedi Master
Hey everyone.
Does anyone else feel priced out of the market? Just seeing some crazy prices and comments on FB such as "it was only $2000!"

Certainly with the price hikes are 12,20,21, and ESB cards just too pricy now?

Richard_H

Grand Master
There's still plenty to look out for. I've changed my focus many times to keep within what I'm willing to spend. The bubble on carded items will burst and we'll see a lot of tourists in 2016/17 selling items attempting to recoup the inflated price they paid in 2014.
I'm so glad I'm a loose collector. :D

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Loose, reseals, budget mocs for me so the price hikes don't affect me, but totally get what your saying. I think it was said many times the run up to the new films would artificially inflate prices, and that will last, but as Rich says, the bubble will burst down the road, so for the avid collector in it for the long haul, then patience will pay off in the end.

BTW ....try and get that package off soon :D

x-pack

Grand Master
Glad i did most of my collecting in the 90's. It does amaze me how much some people spend. Still ...can't take it with you 8)

ZippyNL

Padawan
Certainly if you talk about high quality older MOCs, it has become extremely expensive. My way around is that I'm not fussy about the quality of the card as long as the bubble is still sealed and the figure's been removed. The other day I managed to pick up a battered (but still sealed) Palitoy 20 Back Hammerhead for only 50 quid on EBay. They don't display as well of course, but there are still bargains out there.

Also I agree with the other guys, they will drop again. I've been collecting Palitoy MOC very slowly for the last 11 years, so I can hang on a bit longer. And maybe I'll win the lottery soon, you never know. :D

ZippyNL

Padawan
Just posted ast the same time Mr-shifter - looks like we have similar collecting styles! Top stuff.

poncho

Grand Master
ZippyNL said:
Just posted ast the same time Mr-shifter - looks like we have similar collecting styles! Top stuff.
There not bens collection 'mr shifter' though the starcases came from him. There are indeed my budget/beater mocs 8) mwahahaha. Glad you like :D

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
ponchobelt said:
ZippyNL said:
There not bens collection 'mr shifter' though the starcases came from him. There are indeed my budget/beater mocs 8) mwahahaha. Glad you like :D

Yes Ponch ....and they are a sight to behold..superb mate :D

x-pack

Grand Master
Captainsolo1978 said:
Was hoping to complete my ESB Carded run. May have to wait a few years!!! 12 backs are now out my range.

I wouldn't wait. No time like the present and all that. Things can only get more expensive which is both **** and great at the same time. Great if you already have the stuff or are a seller. Rather crap if you are still collecting that dream run :| Good excuse to buy vintage now :)

ZippyNL

Padawan
ponchobelt said:
ZippyNL said:

Oops, sorry, read it wrong. Great collection! And nice Star Cases too :D

Kenner76

Padawan
I know I haven't gotten much since the prices started skyrocketing after the Disney Deal. It's not that I don't want to add to my collection, but it's hard to justify paying so much more for things I could have had much cheaper a year ago..... I'll have to be much more picky about what I get from now on....

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Not sure the bubble is going to burst, were all getting older. The older people get the more spare cash they get.

jasdev999

Jedi Master
I don't think the bubbles will burst spontaneously as long as there are no extremes of temperature, but again I live in hope. I can see why a lot of MOC collectors are turning to proofs....but again nothing beats a loose colection with a collection of MOCs to go with it :D

HothJim

Padawan
I think this depends on what you collect, and for how long you have been collecting.
I am a new collector, so for me prices are what they are. I collect mainly loose, which has allowed me a way into the market and has proven a rewarding introduction to collecting. I do/would pick up the odd loose vehicle or even small boxed stuff if the price was right. Just stuff I like the look of basically! I keep a track of everything I spend so it is easy to look back over a month and judge for myself whether I have overspent.

I do feel for the more experienced and/or MOC collectors though. I can see myself adding the odd moc of focus or favourite characters over time, but trying to complete a run must be tough on the wallet.

Will the burble burst? Doubt it. Will we really be sat here in 10 years time saying "It is so much cheaper to complete a MOC run today than it was"? Just can't see it happening folks.

One thing I have noticed in my short time as a loose collector. Anything Leia is getting pricey on Ebay.......I'll wait and buy from the forum when I have some cash!

plantman

Sith Lord
Some of best pieces of star wars stuff have cost literally nothing, and recreating those childhood moment can usually be done for a modest amount.

Dont get drawn into the "bigger" stuff, a lot of people are addicted to it and it becomes an obsession more than a passion, just collect within your budget and have fun.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
plantman said:
Some of best pieces of star wars stuff have cost literally nothing, and recreating those childhood moment can usually be done for a modest amount.

Dont get drawn into the "bigger" stuff, a lot of people are addicted to it and it becomes an obsession more than a passion, just collect within your budget and have fun.

Well said the money that is spent on hi end stuff is obscene. It is people with to much spare cash or an unhealthy obsession.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Horses for courses on high end. Those pieces are undoubtedly investments as well as grail pieces to a collector. Those that have the finances to do so, and are comfortable with, then good luck to them.

As pointed out, the hobby is about collecting what is right for you as the collector and your budget, and as has just been said, it's the FUN of it as well.

HothJim

Padawan
Michael Sith said:
Horses for courses on high end. Those pieces are undoubtedly investments as well as grail pieces to a collector. Those that have the finances to do so, and are comfortable with, then good luck to them.

As pointed out, the hobby is about collecting what is right for you as the collector and your budget, and as has just been said, it's the FUN of it as well.

Well said.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom