Different ways to soften the blow from wife/girlfriend.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Ok we have all had it the sigh from the misses when another Vintages Star Wars toy comes through the post. The classic line 'what have you brought this time' and so on. I've got a phew rules I stick to when buying stuff.

1. Whenever they buy a new item of clothing always remind them how little you spend on clothes and the Star Wars toys evans things out.
2. Always try and work it so the new purchase arrives through the post when you no the misses is going to be out so you can unpack it and add it to your collection without them evan noticing.
3. When things get tough bring out the investment line. 'There only going to go up in value, so think of them as a pension.'

If anyone else has any ideas would love to hear them :D :arrow:

Grant

Sith Lord
Don't tell her
Lie about the price
Get items sent else where or get a friend to purchase items for you...

Tell her the truth and hope for the best. 8)

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Mate this is quality! I've almost just spat coffee all over my keyboard when I read this :lol: Yeah I always get the old "what have you bought now!?". As you say, we've all been there. I've got a few little gems I pull out my arse on these occasions to justify the expense.

Oh I sold some modern Star Wars stuff, some Halo, some Warhammer etc that I'm not so into anymore so I already had money in my Paypal :D
Oh it's only a cheap modern figure, cost a fiver :D
I haven't bought anything for ages and it was SUCH a bargain I had to have it! :D
Yeah but it's better than pissing it all up the wall down the pub with my mates ain't it love, they only go up in value and I'm **** at saving :D

Basically variations of what everyone else said, you just have to bullshit :wink:

Joe

Grand Master
No matter how many times they say "just be honest with me!" we probably won't (or least the majority of us won't!) I guess it's a combination of being under the thumb and worried about what they might say and still wanting to believe you are still that 20 something bloke who doesn't have to answer to anyone, especially about what you do with your money!

I know a couple of collectors that have very supportive partners but lets face it, they are in the minority and the rest of us find it easier just to tell a few porkies and hope we don't get found out! :lol:

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
Just put it in the cupboard and when you get it out say, oh I have had this for years. Just like what they do to us... :wink:

With my secret Star Wars spending and my other halves secret clothes shopping we must be easily be in a few grands worth of secret debt between us.

What is it they say, what you don't know wont hurt you? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MarkG

Jedi Master
I get them sent to my work address, so no worries with her finding them on the doormat, or the postie slip to go and collect them.

Sneak them in when she's gone to bed... does help having 3 late nights out a week playing darts too... :lol:

However, she does know I am collecting a new set of the 96 MOC, but the cost is fibbed a bit.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Its real simple.

Never get yourself involved with anything you cant leave if you feel the heat coming around the corner.

Except Star Wars. :D

TheGent

Jedi Master
Grant_C said:
Its real simple.

Never get yourself involved with anything you cant leave if you feel the heat coming around the corner.

Except Star Wars. :D

Jimmy Banghart? :lol: Love that quote!

pizzathehutt

Sith Lord
i've always had my stuff delivered to my work place plus i get home before her so i can just sneak stuff in, although i only collect loose figures now.
(this is the same woman who got me to sell all my playsets and ships to downsize for our flat)

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
Great topic!

I've employed most of the tactics described here. I've also used the following two:

Tell my wife not to be nosey as to what's in that parcel as it's getting near her birthday/Christmas (only used sparingly, for obvious reasons!);

Once I had 3 rather large parcels arrive on the same day. I told her that one had been sent in error and was going straight back.

The stupid thing is that she genuinely doesn't mind me buying this stuff, but she does use it as justification for buying stuff herself (hence my frequent use of the 'PayPal balance' or 'it only cost a £5' excuses.)

Doomseeker

Jedi Master
I saw a brilliant thing on Facebook.....

Every Star Wars collectors greatest fear is that he will die, and his wife will sell his collection for what he told her he paid for it!

x-pack

Grand Master
In a day or so a large parcel containing a very nice Indiana Jones map room playset will be showing up. Already have my routine worked out - firstly 'it was cheap'. Secondly 'its an investment'. Thirdly 'its a little treat for me' :D

The reality is that I was a bit bored and this thing was too tempting :wink:

Frunkstar

Grand Master
Think I'm one of the lucky ones then, mine doesn't give a rats ass what I spend my money on as long as its not drugs & whores :lol: & I am the same with her, we never argue or bicker about cash, its just money & transient like most things in life & not worth getting flustered about, doubt we will ever own anything of huge value like a house or land, but hey happiness is not gained by wealth IMO, you only need to look at the rich to figure that one out.

& plenty of the slap & tickle as suggested goes a long long way :p

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom