• OPEN IT.

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • LEAVE IT CLOSED.

Votes: 25 48.1%

• Total voters

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
Well played that man...

My vote has been cast. I voted no, but from a cowards point of view.

Best leave well alone. :wink:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I was going to vote yes but then thought what if there was only 1 in the world left still sealed. :? :roll:

Palifan

Sith Lord
I couldn't bring myself to open it and would sell it on and find an opened one (and use the spare cash to buy something else!).

Ian

PGowdy

Grand Master
It's a ****ing shipping box for god's sake. Just don't get this. Never have and i'm massively against opening toys sealed in their packaging but this is just taking it to ridiculous levels.
So if we found a van that hadn't been opened since 1985 with vintage toys in the back could we open the van?? :?

CRAZYHAZY

Jedi Master
Have to agree with pete ...whats the point of looking at a plain box.
Its not a moc or a baggie and at least with a play set or vehicle the sealed box has visual appeal with the graphic artwork etc and you know whats inside .

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
Well the tied has turned...

the Rebellion is about to overthrow the Empire :lol: :lol:

Keep those votes rolling in people :D

poncho

Grand Master
its not like moc where you can see a figure behind a bubble! id open it and get gw acrylic to make a custom case with the baggies showing and cardboard box and catalogue

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
PGowdy said:
So if we found a van that hadn't been opened since 1985 with vintage toys in the back could we open the van?? :?

Only if it has a Kenner/Palitoy logo in the side :lol: :lol:

Which makes me wonder were the baggies exported by sea or air, a graded container ship would use a lot of acrylic :shock:

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
These containers were only used for shipping, not long term storage, so there might be a valid reason to open the box and break out the loveliness inside on the basis of cardboard lacquer coating deteriorating, or mould or something I could totally fabricate in my mind to justify opening the flippin thing.

Star wars packaging is an art in its beauty, you wouldn't buy a Picasso and keep it in the shipping container. Sure the box and its contents has some 'almost' kitch-style mass produced Warhol artyness to it, but as a kid I never related to the shipping container which I never saw. It was about the colour, the image of the play item, the film I loved and wanted part of in my hands. The actual item box.

The box can still be preserved and some loopy loo can put it into acrylic for grading, but release the beauty within.. let the figures out and let us look upon them with our own eyes.

Section 8

Sith Lord
ponchobelt said:
its not like moc where you can see a figure behind a bubble! id open it and get gw acrylic to make a custom case with the baggies showing and cardboard box and catalogue

It's not like a moc where you can see the figure, but it is like a sealed boxed ship where you don't ever get to see what's inside. It being sealed has massive appeal to me even though it's a boring plain shipping box. It's still an original vintage box used on thousands of figures.

I'd bet the box haters if given an option of a baggie with original plain box or just the baggie, they would choose the 1st option every time as the shipping box is part of it's history.

If you open it you just end up with something that we've seen a thousand times or more before.

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
Unlike an actual vehicle playset box with graphics/pictures on it...this is a plain cardboard shipping box with a white label. Nothing close to pleasing about it.

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
I don't think it is supposed to be pleasing, its more an act of preservation.

naughtyjedi said:
These containers were only used for shipping, not long term storage, so there might be a valid reason to open the box and break out the loveliness inside on the basis of cardboard lacquer coating deteriorating, or mould or something I could totally fabricate in my mind to justify opening the flippin thing.

Interesting... If this was the case then there is no need for discussion. Imagine opening it and finding a mouldy mess :cry:

benny100

Sith Lord
ponchobelt said:

My thoughts exactly

Frunkstar

Grand Master
I have discussed this subject before at length as I collect multi-packs myself being a baggie nut & its the sole case where I feel justified in opening the box & also the sole instance I u grade an item (opening a further can of worms :lol: ) but if you're going to open it & its been sealed for 30+ years & it is the world's only surviving example, at least you have the proof to confirm it was a sealed box, I take my sealed ones in to Steve & open them in front of him, so I get the joy of opening them before they are cased up, I have all the bags done separately with the box & catalog in a separate case.

After all who wants to look at a plain cardboard box? :? it holds little appeal even to me & I'm nutty about baggies & BTW this is most likely the most common of all the early brown box mailers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom