Millennium Falcon ESB Palitoy Box restoration

Doomseeker

Jedi Master
Hey all,

So I picked up this poor old Palitoy Falcon box from Iain before he headed over stateside. I figured that I've done a bit of tape/sticker removal on a few boxes recently and would give this one a go. The main thing I use to remove old tape is lighter fluid, works a treat using cotton buds and working very, very slowly!! Hope you enjoy looking at the pics, I'm pretty pleased with how it came out

pre4_zps5fe26b3a.jpg

pre2_zps0785b56e.jpg

pre6_zps8516f165.jpg

pre5_zps4a4de1a0.jpg

pre3_zps4100cbcc.jpg

pre1_zps0f26543c.jpg

pre8_zpsf2d20eec.jpg

pre7_zps3660bd8e.jpg

This is what I was left with once the tape was off and before I tackled the clean up!

pre10_zpsd7dab15d.jpg

pre9_zps00516206.jpg

And the final box...
post1_zpse9bf5065.jpg

post6_zps356f3365.jpg

post3_zpse9a2cd61.jpg

post4_zps7fc0b928.jpg

post5_zps098cd36d.jpg

post2_zps8c7a8a8b.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Cheers
Gary

.Q.

Jedi Master
Cracking job buddy, good arrows! PM me for a warming winter tipple if you're free sometime. :)

itfciain

Grand Master
Blimey - that looks great - if I'd have known you could do that then I'd have charged you for them :lol: :lol:

x-pack

Grand Master
Very well done! :shock:

Just one question. How did you take the tape off without tearing the print underneath?

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
Beautiful..

What ever happened to that boba fett graphic token thingmy,.. Weren't we supposed to collect them and send them off for something? Did that happen?

Doomseeker

Jedi Master
Thanks for all your comments guys....especially you Iain...Cheeky Bastard :D

The structure of the box was actually in pretty good shape, no major rips or tears, the lamination of the cardboard was starting to separate so that needed addressing.

My thread about sticker removal shows how I got the tape off with minimal damage to the image
http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18402
I lost some bits here and there but overall I was really pleased with how it turned out. Got a few more beater boxes to try and bring back to life, but this was certainly the worst of the lot!

poncho

Grand Master
Great job :D how do you sturdy them up. I have a box everythings there but some flaps are deterorating. Should i use tape on the inside of box to fasten box back together if so what kinda tape?

Doomseeker

Jedi Master
Hey, I use quite a bit of lighter fluid to be honest, at times drenching the affected area then wiping clean. I soak a cotton bud then gentle pull back the tape whilst working the fluid under the tape, by other thread shows this in a bit more detail.

The only tape I use is double sided tape to stick the box back together. To be honest once the cardboard has lost it's structural integrity there isn't too much you can do other than support it with a card insert to help hold the shape. If a box flap is hanging on you could try using a glue to join some of the ripped card back together, I did this a little on this falcon box just to rejoin a couple of bit on the end flaps.

I wouldn't use tape to hold box flaps together as I try to get the boxes back to their original condition without the use of it. However if it's for your own personal collection I would go with a brown paper tape as it would appear more invisible

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gummed-Paper-Tape-36mm-200mt/dp/B0027INOK6

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom