Is this really where things have got to?

jambobbyb

Jedi Master
Hi guys not been in a while due to being made redundant on New Year's Eve, but is this really where things have gotten to? It's nice but £3200 really?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 559

jambobbyb

Jedi Master
Thanks for the replies guys, I posted on that thread 18 months ago you could get an AFA 80 12 back DT luke for that sort of money and it got removed. A lot of those face book groups appear to be designed to gouge the most out of unsuspecting newbies, and some of the newbies appear to have unlimited funds. a lad posted his three month collection must have been 25 carded figures 12 of which are 12/20/21 backs.

Richard_H

Grand Master
The prices on the fb groups in the main are ridiculous. Some of the crap I've seen for £10 is unbelievable. I've given stuff away that people are asking money for.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Unfortunately, I have found the Facebook groups mostly to be full of people who would place all of their faith in everything into the numbers on a grading label.

Sadly, there seems to be a growing group of people who believe that grading an item retains the value in it and they are being seen as investments.

The problem this is creating is that there is a little group of guys buying all the best condition ungraded stuff, grading it and then selling it on the Facebook groups for 3 to 4 x cost. As long as these idiots pay this money it will continue to happen. Less nice ungraded stuff available for those who don't need Afa to tell them if a piece is in good condition or not.

jambobbyb

Jedi Master
I think sticking well clear of FB is going to be the way forward. I do wonder what comes next, I can't afford to collect I have been able to for months given the recent price rises, a mint 12 back luke is genuine thing of beauty but it's not a 3k figure.

SOJ

Sith Lord
It's true there are countless cunts on FB. However there are also some very good guys. If you're careful and keep an eye on whose sales have gone well, you can get some great stuff safely.

Last year I got 6 of my ESB MOC's without issue and made some new friends in the process which led to other purchases.

Ross Barr's groups are pretty good and much like Todd he won't suffer any pricks.

SWFUK's sales thread is always my first port of call, but FB is a good source for stuff just be very, very careful and never gift payment.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
jambobbyb said:
I think sticking well clear of FB is going to be the way forward. I do wonder what comes next, I can't afford to collect I have been able to for months given the recent price rises, a mint 12 back luke is genuine thing of beauty but it's not a 3k figure.

Hit the nail on the head here mate. This is not a £3k figure, no matter what Zack thinks.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Love AFA, never evan looked at a Star Wars Facebook group. £5000 for a 12 back Luke is ridiculous I don't care what AFA rating it is. As has been pointed out though these guys seem to have unlimited funds. I don't think collector's like myself realise that vintage collecting is not just for a small group of hardcore collectors like 20 years ago. Demand is outstripping supply by a lot especially for the high end stuff.

Also because of AFA these guys just flip everything.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
This will only get worse, sad but true. The rise i have seen from 2005 up until now is amazing and is creeping up more and more. Prepare for it to get worse when TFA is released.

Thank god i started again in 94/95 then went full pelt around 98 onwards. Thank god for Bendems!!! :D as it was those but drew me back in :D

jambobbyb

Jedi Master
It seems that things have become pretty nasty out there, I can understand why but when I came I to this hobby things were really pretty relaxed ever since this new film was announced it seems everyone and there dogs have started collecting and they are all now experts.....

Joe

Grand Master
There was this recent thread on RS which discussed the high prices of late: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1116272/#post19517562 It looks like it actually started out as one guy bashing an ungraded (but rare) item in the classifieds that he saw listed for a high price (probably because of a lack of understanding on his part) but there were a few good replies in the thread which related to the prices of late and the hows and whys.

This one was one of my favourites:

Shawn Byrne said:
I'll weigh in on this cuz I love playing the "snarky" old collector. There are a number of factors of why prices are increasing. 1. An increase in the number of Gen X'ers who are becoming empty nesters and near The height of their earning potential. 2. A dramatic increase in the number of speculators. They collect grades not toys. 3. A plethora of new collectors who have absolutely no clue what they are doing. 4. Ridiculous movie hype for what will likely be a less than stellar movie. 5. Unstable world economy and no confidence in conventional markets. 6. Any other reason

For those new to the hobby, vintage did tank for awhile after the release of Episode I. So there is hope. I say wait until the movie flops, then get your stuff. Don't follow the hype train. Here are my predictions. All the "investors" will try to unload this summer or fall. These are investors, day traders I like to call them, and will try to unload at the best time...likely next summer or fall. They likely won't make anything, and will be lucky to sell at all the prices shelled out originally. Does the housing market come to mind here? Personally, I don't think they will be able to sell it. The market could implode after the movie, with prices like they are today, as well as amount of stuff that really is available. Like it or not guys, the prices now ARE INSANE!! You can argue that whenever someone says "that's the market" it's usually a euphemism for greed. This hobby really isn't a hobby anymore. In my opinion, it's all about money. Nothing more. Most collectors left when the prices exceeded their pocket book. Do you eat or buy a 12 back Vader? Just like everything else now, you really have only a select few driving the market. Once they leave, that'll be it. It happened to Joe and transformers. You can't give GI Joe away now it seems. Much different than 5 years ago. You had a few people driving the market in Joe, once they left, it imploded. Thinking that this stuff will continue to increase as it deteriorates is honestly wishful thinking in my opinion. Further, AFA is getting worse in their grading. You can't trust the grade given. Stuff that should have been an 85 gets a 75 and stuff that should have been a 75 gets an 80 or higher. So, if AFA implodes, the investors will bail. Too much scum and villainy on ebay to trust used/unused/MOC, etc. When this all happens, prices will readjust themselves to normal market sustaining levels. Corrections always come. It's just a matter of when. Honestly, I think toy shows will continue to be on the rise once again. The circle is now complete. When I started, toy shop, shows and magazines were where it was at. I think it will continue to return to that trend. Oh, and another interesting note, people often stop collecting anything when they reach into their late 50's and early 60's. So, not that much longer for the older Gen X'ers.

I've had my say on price increases several times this year and I think most people on here and on most forums agree that things are silly. The thing that baffles me is that none of this stuff isn't any rarer than it was 3-4 or even 5 years ago (if anything the rise in prices is bringing even MORE of it out of the woodwork) so why are prices continuing to rise? The other thing is: Regardless of your financial position or your income, I think we can all agree that £500-£1K is a lot of money to spend on a toy or multiple toys, especially when you've got kids, rent/a mortgage etc. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to spend amount a couple of times a year..but not every other week (and in many cases spending more than that a week). I've heard of people spending upwards of $3K per figure (whether that's a high grade AFA 12 back or a pre production piece it's still $3k+ per purchase!) How long can you do that for before cashing out?

It almost feels like everyone has won the lottery or had an amazing inheritance (or is using credit cards to fund their buys) and they are just throwing money at Star Wars because it's popular right now (or might be an investment in the future), they don't even seem to worry if they overpay - it's just "I've got to own this RIGHT ****ING NOW" - nobody is thrifty or bargain hunting any more.

The almost grail-like status that high grade AFA toys have achieved in the last few years is a huge part of it too but the blame there falls firmly on the buyers shoulders for believing in the labels and the grades. It's short sighted and silly but it is what it is.

Sad times indeed, the greed and idiocy in this hobby is at an all time high that's for sure.

Joe

Grand Master
One thing I forgot to mention is about FB. While I am someone that believes that being involved in *certain* FB groups while simultaneously using the forums is a good idea, I do believe that the majority of FB groups have created a place on the internet for collectors to play some kind of horrible "keeping up with the neighbours" one-upmanship game.

Collector A shows off a high grade item and the following week 5 more have gone out and bought the first one they've seen for sale and then show theirs off..they then repeat this cycle a thousand times over.

One of the old timers on RS recently said if he sees another set of AFA 85 12 backs limelighted on FB, he might actually puke over his monitor! To be honest, while I love seeing Vintage and I like seeing people achieve their goals - I kind of agree. High grade AFA 12 back & Early Bird stuff has a crazy loyal following right now and while I love the figures and have almost always collected stuff relating to the figures, I find myself feeling totally numb and unimpressed by a set of 12 backs, regardless of the condition. Even clear bubble ROTJ's bore the pants off of me lately whereas they used to be quite cool to see..

I quite often find myself feeling lost in this hobby of late, I don't relate to the "new breed" in any way, shape or form and the majority of the people I collected alongside left the hobby due to all this **** years ago. I never thought I would be collecting forever but I thought I would at least enjoy it for quite a while..as time goes on that seems less likely.

(PS: Hobby drama sucks the life out of me too - but that's unrelated..most of the time ;) )

jambobbyb

Jedi Master
It's a good post that Joe and I tend to agree with everything both yourself and Shawn B said, I think EB and 12 backs are cool I always did but I am fully aware non of its rare I think the new breed have gone for earliest is best, if you showed most of these muppets a general marine in real life they wouldn't know what it was or why it was significant.
I said ages back I was selling up I don't have a huge collection but I think it should cover a big chunk of the cost of replacing my double glazing, I will buy it all back in 3-4 years time when things have calmed down :)

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Dont know what you are whinging for Joe-you collect probably the dullest figure in the line :wink:

Great posts buddy. Reminds me why i dont do facebook.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
DarthStanley said:
Palitoy78 said:
Dont know what you are whinging for Joe-you collect probably the dullest figure in the line :wink

Nah Lee,I proudly collect the dullest figure in the line! :lol:

At least he hung around with Lando a bit :D

Joe

Grand Master
Haha Mark :lol:

I think the most annoying thing of late is that 9 times out of 10, the ones flashing the cash on this stuff have no ****ing clue..literally no clue! Some of the discussions in the FB groups make me want to punch myself in the face (because of the obvious lack of research/understanding and common sense) yet these guys are all posting pictures of carded Vinyl Cape Jawa's and AFA 85 EB sets etc.

Just yesterday I saw someone post up a picture of a Kenner slide with a CIB COA..I mean I can understand a COA for something out of this world or unique..but a slide? One of thousands that are out there? Who is the COA for? Did they pay extra for it? Is it warranted? I mean it's just a slide of a figure..it's cool but a COA? :|

I have to keep reminding myself I am only 30..not quite reached grumpy old man age yet but sometimes it's really ****ing hard not to be this grump with the amount of muppets that are out there. :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom