Trading alcohol for figures!

Jimi Woolley

Padawan
:idea: I've decided I'm going to keep updating this thread with my weekly progress so have changed the title to suit. :idea:

Hi
I've been a member on here for a while but rarely post anything. I tend to post a bit on the Facebook forums especially the Echobase one but for me this is the place to learn things.

I don't normally do New Years resolutions but this year I thought I'd make a couple. First one, pretty simple, post on here more. Taken me over a week but here we go!
Second one was to stop wasting money on alcohol. I have just finished a 3 year barn conversion and we moved in in November. We've still got loads to finish off and hardly any furniture etc so it seems stupid to waste money on the odd can (or 2,3,4) of lager.

I'm currently 78 figures into the loose run and would love to finish it this year but again I need to prioritise and spend money on the barn and not Star Wars. I came up with a plan! I've decided that for each week I don't drink alcohol at home, I'm going to give myself £10 to guilt free spend on Star Wars figures. Not a lot I know but it will help!

So first week no alcohol got me this:

6B5213E5-DFD3-44D6-9055-D8990BFF56BC.jpg

Here's where I'm at with the loose run

3F1D9685-206A-4636-A80D-678E1CB3A434.jpg

Here's some other bits I've got

F621DA54-2B58-4E2D-8D73-850E36280C53.jpg

Cheers
Jimi

Frunkstar

Grand Master
& what a great figure to start you T total run with 8) loving what you have done with the barn, your loose figures display beautifully, wishing you luck with completing the loose run, then you're collecting will start in earnest & you'll need the beer money :lol:

Don't be too harsh on yourself, try just knocking the beer on the head through the week & have a little tipple of a weekend, another little tip - Grafenwalder at Lidl is only 85p a can for half litre & better than 99% of beer available in the UK IMO made to a genuine German recipe ;)

& posting here rather than FB can't be a bad decision!

spoons

Grand Master
Great looking display and conversion - you dont need furniture when you have vintage SW :)

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
It looks like you have a lovely barn conversion and what a beautiful way to display the loose figures - never seen them displayed in a single line like that.

I think £10 on alcohol a week is a bit miserly, you ought to make it £10 a day and treat yourself to a bit more vintage!

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
Thats an awesome way to display loose figures, i'm going to add it to things i'd like in my dream house. Are they behind glass? That looks like a tricky place to dust!

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Awesome Collection you have, it looks fantastic how you display it.

Sounds like a great idea about saving £10 for star wars. If you are Lucky you can get a lot of star wars for
£10 :D Some days ago I bought a Danish childhood lot of 10 figures and a tri-pod laser cannon. Some of them was close to mint and I won them for £2,5 so sometimes you can be very Lucky :lol:

So what figure are your Next goal ?

Jimi Woolley

Padawan
:D
Thanks for all the replies chaps.

The only problem with the display is the dusting. Not had to do it yet and we've been in 6 weeks but it will happen. Part of the deal with the wife was I could keep them there as long as I dusted them!

Another problem is I'm going to run out of room to do one straight line. I've tried staggering them but it's doesn't look as good. Probably going to put First 12 & Last 17 on the shelf on the opposite side of the room along with creatures! One step at a time though :wink:

£10 isn't much and won't get me far with Last 17 but bargains are out there if you put the time in.

Joe

Grand Master
Welcome to the forum Jimi! It's always nice to see someone move from lurker to poster :lol:

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Great display and run 8) thanks for sharing.

Keeping perspective is always a good thing, like your feet on the ground common sense approach.

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
Love the way you've got them displayed. Looks really good, let me know how,long it takes to dust!
Keep updates going on this as and when you get a new figure, love seeing things grow (ooh er)

Frunkstar said:
another little tip - Grafenwalder at Lidl is only 85p a can for half a litre!

And you can't get advice like this on Facebook lol so worth sticking around

Jimi Woolley

Padawan
Cheers for the kind words guys. It means a lot :oops:

I really love seeing them in a long line, even people that have no interest in Star Wars have commented on how amazing they look.

I'll make sure I update as I add figures. I wish I'd taken a few photos of the figures I got for Christmas and my birthday (a week ago) Got some beauties.

As much as I like the convenience of Facebook it drives me mad sometimes. I've lost out on a few items recently because the seller has had a higher than asking price offer via pm. I was just inputting the value into PayPal the other day and had the seller pm me saying someone had already paid for the item :evil: The item he'd agreed to sell me a few minutes before and therefore given me his PayPal details!

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
Jimi,

Any chance of you doing a limelight on your barn conversion? The off topic thread has a few non star wars limelights and i'd love to see how things went (i'm hopefully doing my own self build this year)

Jimi Woolley

Padawan
Clarkspie&chips said:
Jimi,

Any chance of you doing a limelight on your barn conversion? The off topic thread has a few non star wars limelights and i'd love to see how things went (i'm hopefully doing my own self build this year)

I may just give it a go. It'll take me ages, I have a tendency to waffle!

It's an interesting experience! Absolutely loved parts of it but also hated parts (mainly dealing with architects, planning officers, building inspectors, structural engineers, mortgage companies, technical auditors :? ). Never worked so hard and spent SO MUCH money :shock:

Definitely do it though, if you are the person that has the vision it's AMAZING seeing it come to life!

What stage are you at? Found a plot yet?

Jimi

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
Sorry to hear you had problems with your consultants, I'm a structural engineer but i can promise you some of us put our clients first!
I had 3 plots last year fall through so fingers crossed for 2015.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom