New to SWFUK? Hello there! Come here...Don't be afraid.

Jez

Sith Lord
[youtube]6D9Uh6oeMlA[/youtube]

Please accept a warm welcome to SWFUK.

Whether you have stumbled across here by accident, listened to the podcast and thought you'd have a look, have been a long time lurker or any other reason for clicking on SWFUK...

[youtube]535Zy_rf4NU[/youtube]

This place has everything you could ever need regarding Vintage Star Wars collecting, and when i mean Vintage i refer to the 1977-1985 range of toys and merchandise.

Feel free to have a look around. There are loads of threads but not all of them are available to view unless you are logged on.

The Showcase section is a must view, with some beautiful collections.
In the Off Topic area people discuss a whole variety of stuff or just simply have a laugh.
The Events section is an ideal thread to help you out with your collecting needs.
The sales and wants threads are the best method of buying on the internet. Far safer than ebay.
We have numerous competition etc (but understandably you usually need to have been a member for a short while first)

If you want to introduce yourself do it here http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3797
If you are here to sell some Star Wars stuff please read this first http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23184
If you want to know more about Toy Toni scandal read here http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18756

We (the community) can also help with valuations.

If you really want to make a good start take a look and this thread and offer yourself up to the thread creator Richard, http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20091

Whatever you do, please make the most of it and us.
My collecting enjoyment has grown immeasurably since joining this community. I feel far safer and more knowledgeable for it. I've met some great guys; people who i now consider truly good friends.

[youtube]ycCAHYvAUl4[/youtube]

EDIT: Oh one of the best things you can also do is listen to The Vintage Rebellion Podcast: http://swtvrpodcast.podbean.com It's better than Cheesey Peas

x-pack

Grand Master
Yeh, don't want to scare 'em off, well not before new users have posted a sales thread up without any introduction :wink:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Great effort. Discussing quite how we use this best.
I've asked Edd if it could be included in a welcome email/message if newbies even get one. Will see what he says.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
As someone with less than 12 months under my belt, this post in a welcome email at the point of registration would have been brilliant - great post!

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
Great post Jez...

But I get the nagging feeling that as with all the other threads noobs should read before posting this will be ignored. :roll:

.Q.

Jedi Master
Excellent, think the welcome E-mail with helpful board links a cracking idea. Great post.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
JuniorChubb said:
But I get the nagging feeling that as with all the other threads noobs should read before posting this will be ignored. :roll:

More than likely in 90% of cases. It's like instructions when you buy something, who ever reads them?

A few will read the links, if we send them, but most go straight to the FS threads with their "mega ultra super rare C11 Darf Vadre, £5,000 western union transfer only"

Jez

Sith Lord
Thanks very much for all of the positive comments my friends.
I started the thread as this place is a huge cavern of information which may be a bit daunting and scary for new members. Members who could be the next Pete (naughty jedi ) or Michael Sith ie newish members who have thankfully become huge contributors to this forum.
Recently there has been an increase in sharp responses to new (naive) members which (in my opinion) comes across as a little bit out of character of this forum. Lots of impatient smart Alec responses and "read this rule" posts.

We know this forum inside out as we spend a lot of time on it. In this 21st century world where we are all short of time, some folk may want to test the water before they take the time to check all of the rules. To a new guy our sharp responses may come across as a bit RS, which could be massively off putting. We don't want to shoot ourselves in the foot.

I think the podcast will probably bring in more traffic. My post was intended to welcome them with open arms.

I like the idea of the new guy email. But what about the long time lurker who is a member but not an active poster? Surely we want to encourage them into the fold as well.
Just my 2ps worth. Let's try to be a bit more welcoming, patient and considerent in 2015, after all, it's gonna be a great year and a hell of a ride, the more the merrier in my book!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom