Mini-Rig Prices on eBay!

robpmarsh

Sith Lord
a Palitoy PDT-8 just sold for £88 + Shipping......seems steep to me

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131417069457?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

I just picked oup 4 boxed mini-rigs (including a Pali PDT) for under half that!

Doesn't look like settling down anytime soon :(

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yeah the reality is were probably best staying away from ebay for a while until it settles down. If it ever does, I mean between now and 2019 were going to see 5 new Star Wars films. :roll:

beginner

Jedi Knight
theforceuk said:
Yeah the reality is were probably best staying away from ebay for a while until it settles down. If it ever does, I mean between now and 2019 were going to see 5 new Star Wars films. :roll:

agree with you 8)

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
PDT-8 is a tricky one to get at a cheap price, but I agree with you guys.

Prices went crazy 97-99 for Episode 1, but what's happening across the hobby is INSANE with prices.

The crazy thing is people are bidding for things that if they looked hard enough they would find with a BIN for half.

Jimi Woolley

Padawan
That seller has made some serious money over the last few days. Jabba play set for £200 and as you said Rob lots of mini rigs at silly prices.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=131416272583

Joe

Grand Master
It's likely just newbies getting too caught up in bidding wars for stuff they have no real knowledge about.

When I first got on eBay in about 2002 I was so excited at the prospect of buying Vintage again (I hadn't bought anything for like 10 years) that I immediately got caught up bidding on things that were ending in the last hour or so (In fact for a little while I felt that was the best way to search for things, especially late night - hoping that I would get a bargain!)

I remember the amazing feeling I had when I won my first auction too..a rare Kenner boxed ROTJ INT-4 with one flap torn off, writing on the box and the cannon thing on the front glued on.

I won that INT-4 for a whopping £45 I think and that was 13 years ago now so there have always been twats spending more than they should on Vintage. :lol:

It's a learning curve :) New movie hysteria combined with "newbies" generally creates a pretty ludicrous market but these people come and go. You either get smart quick after making those kinds of mistakes and start doing your homework, lose all your money because you've no time for homework or you just give up after the first few impulse buys.

Jimi Woolley

Padawan
Grant, you make a good point about people getting caught up in a bidding war & missing BIN auctions. I watched this loose Snowspeeder end at £82.50 and there was a boxed one equally as nice listed for £65 Buy It Now.
EBayers..... morons the lot of them!!
Jimi

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
This guy only seems to list every six months or so and when he does the pictures are always really sharp, grid format etc. Makes it all look more like a professional and appealing, can easily see the newbies all bidding on his bits because he cares about the details, so as a buyer you'd expect to get a good clean item... he also seems to have at least 1-2 rare items in each set of listings (Radio controlled Sand Crawler last time, POTF Skiff this time etc.), that seems to boost the overall run of bids; possibly some missing out on the big item look to stick a bid on the second best item...
Definitely over the top prices and definitely need to look at the photos in detail IMO, fisrt impression is not always the best on to make...

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
SAVORY100 said:
This guy only seems to list every six months or so and when he does the pictures are always really sharp, grid format etc. Makes it all look more like a professional and appealing, can easily see the newbies all bidding on his bits because he cares about the details, so as a buyer you'd expect to get a good clean item... he also seems to have at least 1-2 rare items in each set of listings (Radio controlled Sand Crawler last time, POTF Skiff this time etc.), that seems to boost the overall run of bids; possibly some missing out on the big item look to stick a bid on the second best item...

I agree seller sounds like a VERY nice bloke, and must be very happy with the prices achieved. :p (thanks for the compliments!)

Jimi Woolley

Padawan
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
I agree seller sounds like a VERY nice bloke, and must be very happy with the prices achieved. :p (thanks for the compliments!)

Fair play mate, you certainly know how to sell items on eBay! It amazes me how little some people do to make an item look appealing. It's all about taking away any potential doubt in a buyers mind and you do that very well.

Shame eBay takes a big chunk of your money!

Jimi

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
I bought a loose one of these for £140 last week from a FB sale in exactly the same sort of condition and thought I might have paid top whack for it until this auction ended:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131417111735?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Congrats on the sales Bonsai! Got to be chuffed with some of the results.

And I agree, when selling on ebay there really is a knack to it, have the auctions end on Sunday evening when most people are in and list with maybe 2 or 3 really rare pieces so it's on most collectors radars, they're then more likely to look at your other sales.

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Grant_C said:
:shock:

Is that Luke really worth that?

They are really scarce and prone to bad paint ware, the last one I noted on ebay went for around £90 but that was a while ago. I've seen them valued as much as £220 but not seen one sell for that.

I was hoping to pick one up on the cheap but no luck so when the first decent one came up for sale on one of the FB groups I took it.

However, I am utterly shocked by this figure making over £300. I've since found out the purchaser made a bit of a mistake on his bid, not taking into account the currency conversion. However, there still must have been at least another person pushing the price up.

I would gamble on this being something of a one off price though. Having said that, prices really are all over the place at the moment!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom