Thinking about opening something

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambobbyb

Jedi Master
Guys, over Christmas I had a conversation with a lad I grew up with we are original fans and we both agreed we would like to open an original moc figure just for the thrill the smell and as a bit of a kick, I haven't had much time to sort out a couple of beaters no one would miss probably Jedi figs on bog standard Kenner cards. I understand the dislike for U grading and all the rest of it but are we complete bastards for opening a couple of Klatus Ree Yees squid heads or other beater Jedi figures solely to take two middle aged guys back to being 6 again?

Joe

Grand Master
Take it from me, it's extremely anticlimactic, totally pointless and also wasteful (It's also a little weird for two blokes in their 40's to do together too :lol: )

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
Within 30 seconds the fun of that will be over (Similar to sex :lol: ) and all you will have is a loose figure and you will ask yourself...why the **** did I want to do this. Go buy a modern figure and rip one of those open.

jambobbyb

Jedi Master
Thanks for the reply Joe For me opening a Star Wars figure was all about the smell, those things smell awesome! I think your bang on its definitely an odd thing for two guys to do together :lol: but I do think it would be kinda cool I would of course be keeping my figure/cardback for my own collection.

Joe

Grand Master
I don't actually remember opening Star Wars figures as a kid like most of you probably do. I only had two bought for me in the late 80's and while I remember owning them I certainly don't remember much about opening them. I grew up more with TMNT and Ghostbusters toys really but even so, I can honestly say I've never felt the need to relive the opening part, even with toy lines that were more my time.

In 2004 I opened a few Vintage Star Wars figures and it's all just kind of meh..

At the end of the day, you can do so if you like but by posting this thread asking for opinions it sounds like you aren't 100% sure it's a good idea yourself and I agree - it's really not.

Better idea: Get drunk and talk about opening Star Wars toys @ Christmas and then go home and show your mate your collection so he can do a few: :eek: :eek: faces :)

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
buy a bunch of modern figs and do that. its still star wars toy on a card. im sure the smell will be far better if its that you worry about.

Fishtalk

Jedi Knight
If it's that sweet plastic/vinyl smell you're craving, then don't bother opening a vintage piece. Any smell they had has long since faded. The modern figures don't seem to smell as strong either. In fact I think our vintage toys had near toxic levels of plastic fumes back in the day, that smell was so strong and impossible to resist.

benny100

Sith Lord
no one can stop you doing this, there are probably many thousands of klautu and ree yees around, but imagine if everyone took this viewpoint. Just the one doesn't hurt right?
It's ultimately pointless.

jambobbyb

Jedi Master
I don't feel I am damaging the hobby by cracking opening a couple of Jedi Kenner beaters especially on beaten up common cards "but" the thing that makes me pause is looking at how much effort people like Jason are putting in over on RS trying to get U grading banned I agree with banning it completely and I feel that cracking open some stinkers probably flys on the face of that.
As for smell I find it odd my mate couldn't shut up about how they smelled we both couldn't belive how strong the TFP's were and it's why I was looking at Jedi cards because they are fully sealed so hopefully they might still whiff.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Buy yourself a moc with a cracked bubble and put your hooter to the hole and sniff. You will still get the smell.

I have loosies that still have the smell.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
jambobbyb said:
As for smell I find it odd my mate couldn't shut up about how they smelled we both couldn't belive how strong the TFP's were and it's why I was looking at Jedi cards because they are fully sealed so hopefully they might still whiff.

:roll:

Using that excuse to talk myself into sleeping with my neighbours 18 year old daughter :lol:

What a cheesy thread :lol:

Grant

Sith Lord
No offence,but the good people here are all just being kind. What their trying to say is DONT FU*KING OPEN ANYTHING THATS BEEN SEALED FOR 30+ years FFS. Now that's over listen to what's been suggested. These days it's super frowned upon. We're not kids anymore. Logical rant over. :wink:

Joe

Grand Master
edd_jedi said:
Joe said:
In 2004 I opened a few Vintage Star Wars figures and it's all just kind of meh..

:eek: string him up! :lol:

:lol: :|

I even took pictures of a few of them..

rancor.jpg

squidhead.jpg

And here they were in happier times...

Picture005.jpg

Not much of an anti U campaigner am I? :lol:

jambobbyb

Jedi Master
Grant C not sure what your on about a lot of people remember the smell of freshly opened Star Wars figures with reverence, panini stickers are the same I opened a pack of 80s Paninis and the smell is still utterly awesome.
Grant this thread has already thrown up numerous other members who have done the same thing and as its past tense it seems to be ok. These things are toys nothing more, they are not revered pieces of history. they are pieces of your childhood. I am merely considering opening one to relive a piece of my childhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom