Header image

Yellowing bubbles - observations

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
indianawars
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Yellowing bubbles - observations

Postby indianawars » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:25 pm

Funnily enough, I've seen MOC's with clear bubbles that have had small holes in the back of the card.

Taffius
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Taffius » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:18 pm

indianawars wrote:Funnily enough, I've seen MOC's with clear bubbles that have had small holes in the back of the card.

Wasnt that a Mexico / Lily Ledy technique to combat moisture and/or humidity? Pressure too perhaps.

indianawars
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby indianawars » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:39 pm

Taffius wrote:
indianawars wrote:Funnily enough, I've seen MOC's with clear bubbles that have had small holes in the back of the card.

Wasnt that a Mexico / Lily Ledy technique to combat moisture and/or humidity? Pressure too perhaps.

You're absolutely right about it being a Lily Ledy technique. If my memory serves me well, these were Kenner MOC's with tiny holds punched through. Unfortunately, science was never my strong point.

Stubbs
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Stubbs » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:13 pm

I could be way off as this is only a theory but i have seen a lot of the big figures i.e gamorrean guard logray rancor keeper and emperor all suffering with bad yellow bubbles. Could this be due to the density of plastic used and the fact the figures are degrading in some way and possibly leaching out chemicals having a reaction to the bubble over the years. And if there was a hole in these ledy card's they could in affect breath and release what could be causing this ?

As i said just a theory i only have gcse science and that was a while ago haha.

smarchitelli
New User
New User

Postby smarchitelli » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:03 pm

BTW, you probably already know this, but sun is not the only culprit of discoloration. In fact, a chemical known as Bromine is often the cause. Bromine is a flame retardant that was added to most plastics in the 80's and 90's. It is a brown color, which is what causes most of the 'yellowing' you see on the white figures. Perhaps Bromine was added to the actual packaging/bubbles as well?

That said, UV light does act as a catalyst for the chemical change that brings the Bromine atoms to the surface.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”