This is scary reading from RS

PGowdy

Grand Master
I stopped reading after the first page, in true RS style, unnecessary arguments had already broken out. :roll:

Putting aside the fact that it's beyond mad to send someone you don't really know $10,000 by bank transfer (we've had that conversation, what 20-30 times??), can't his bank reverse the transfer?
Not sure how it works in the states but i'm sure you can do that here. Tho possibly only with credit cards... i guess i'm not that sure how it works here either. :? But rest assured i would do if i were sending 10 grand to someone! :shock:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
it's beyond mad to send someone you don't really know $10,000 by bank transfer

This, enough said. :roll:

itfciain

Grand Master
I was still rather confused by the whole sending / cancelling thing - but it does look like the seller is out of pocket for the $10K - which is an awful lot of cash

I am struggling to see why Aldolfo is not replying - even if he is out of the country then I would be finding the nearest wifi hotspot and logging on with my side of the story

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
:shock: shocking stuff

If it was me sending 10k, then the ensuing legal wrangling would be in the divorce court

Bootyhunter

Jedi Master
Wow, I haven't read the entire story yet but that seller has been trading on the boards for years and it seems a bit strange he should start scamming now

Joe

Grand Master
Funny you should say that Grant, when this hit I looked up how much a plane ticket from Canada to Mexico was just for fun...$300-600 from what I saw :roll:

Jedi_june

Sith Lord
i like the way he mentions he can't afford to take a day from work to pick up 10grand :lol:

:? What an ass!!!!!! i Hope it can get resolved. Dudes like this kill the hobby, it makes it hard to even trust an OG collector.
Thats why no matter what you have to cover your ass, especially with that amount of money.

steve obi wan

Sith Lord
Supporter
Guys.

As the value goes up and up , more and more scammers will jump on the wagon , to try and make a lot of money .

Always cover yourself

Bloody sad state of affairs

Steve

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
PGowdy said:
can't his bank reverse the transfer?
Not sure how it works in the states but i'm sure you can do that here.

Nope, I got scammed out of about £250 by somebody in France 10 years ago via a bank transfer. Once you send the money, that's it gone. Never again!

You have to be stupid to send $100 via Paypal gift to a stranger. You'd have to be a complete moron to send 10k by bank transfer. Sorry but no sympathy from me, we all know Scott is a dealer (I've bought several high end pieces from him before) and he took a massive risk, this time it didn't pay off.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Jedi_june said:
i like the way he mentions he can't afford to take a day from work to pick up 10grand :lol:

Which is over 2 years salary in Mexico :lol:

PGowdy

Grand Master
edd_jedi said:
PGowdy said:
can't his bank reverse the transfer?
Not sure how it works in the states but i'm sure you can do that here.

Nope, I got scammed out of about £250 by somebody in France 10 years ago via a bank transfer. Once you send the money, that's it gone. Never again!

You have to be stupid to send $100 via Paypal gift to a stranger. You'd have to be a complete moron to send 10k by bank transfer. Sorry but no sympathy from me, we all know Scott is a dealer (I've bought several high end pieces from him before) and he took a massive risk, this time it didn't pay off.

Rigt, yeah, that was my worry. I think it has to be credit card. Credit card payments can be reversed, pretty sure.
And i agree, no sympathy what so ever. No one ever needs to get scammed. It takes them doing something really stupid for it to happen. How many times do we have to tell people on here not to make non-secure payments??

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
People have been saying the fact he's Mexican is not relevant, or even that suggesting it is racist. Of course it's relevant, the average salary in Mexico is roughly 1/10th of the average salary here, so it's the equivalent of sending somebody here over £50,000 GBP via an insecure transfer (double the average UK salary.) I have some great friends on here but there's no way I would send any of you 50 grand by bank transfer!

Richard_H

Grand Master
I don't think its racism but the country is not a factor and it shouldn't be impacting on deals with Ozio et al. which one person stated. We don't know what Adolfo's standard of living is but if he's dealing with 5 figure transactions on more than one occasion one has to assume he's not anywhere near the average salary. I'm not sending anyone on here a wire transfer of £1000. It's not based on where you live it's because I'm not stupid.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I completely agree about judging the merits of the individual but it's not just about the individual, it involves the Mexican bank too. I think it's quite likely both are telling the truth (Scott has sent it, Adolfo hasn't received it) and it's got lost in the middle somewhere. So you can't disregard the fact you're dealing with a relatively poor, corrupt country.

Stargeezer

Sith Lord
Fair point, both can be telling the truth, but you would assume they would then try to work out togheter what happend to the funds and keep an open communication.
Adolfo has a really bad communication here On his end.

stratpack

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Wow... just sifted through nearly 30 pages on that RS thread. :shock:

It does sound like there's been a breakdown in communication between buyer/seller. The price was 15 grand but the US fella only sent 10 and doesn't really mention the extra 5. The Mexican fella told him to cancel the transaction as he thought he smelt a rat. The fact they have both traded together for years and years does make it seem odd.

10 grand is worth ten times more in Mexico, but it sounds like this fella has made a lot more than that through the years selling Ledy figures. Why would he hurt his own future trading by doing this?

The seller isn't helping himself by not commenting though. We all remember how frustrating the whole TT episode was when Toni stopped posting early days once he knew the game was up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom