Retroblasting - Y-Wing Restoration *Updated with P2*

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Nice video but miss to see how he removes the stickers without destroying them. Because he can't open it like that with the stickers on the Y-Wing :(

nohandluke

Padawan
I didn't have to worry about it. As I stated, the stickers had already been ripped away by a previous owner. So it wasn't a concern for me.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
nohandluke said:
I didn't have to worry about it. As I stated, the stickers had already been ripped away by a previous owner. So it wasn't a concern for me.

But I have one that I would love fix the engine on, but I can't open it without destroying the stickers. Unless somebody know how to remove them without destroying them ?

I would love to see a video about how to remove those stickers :wink:

nohandluke

Padawan
Thanks for keeping up with all of these stratpack!

We've got a VERY special vintage Star Wars restoration coming up next...and did I mention it's also the smallest toy we've ever restored?

Stay tuned...

nohandluke

Padawan
Pomse2001 said:

That becomes a dicey trick. Some say use a hair dryer on low heat, keeping it about a foot away from the toy, and dry out the adhesive so the sticker will easily come away from the surface of the toy.

Others say they use lighter fluid to remove the sticker adhesive, however, if the sticker is too dried out already, the lighter fluid can remove the surface of the sticker graphics as well.

For my money, I would attempt the hair dryer method.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Great video's, although my other half walked in just as you said 'I was tugging on the fuselage'. She just walked straight back out of the room. :lol: :lol:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
nohandluke said:
Pomse2001 said:

That becomes a dicey trick. Some say use a hair dryer on low heat, keeping it about a foot away from the toy, and dry out the adhesive so the sticker will easily come away from the surface of the toy.

Others say they use lighter fluid to remove the sticker adhesive, however, if the sticker is too dried out already, the lighter fluid can remove the surface of the sticker graphics as well.

Thanks for the help :D

Paul Armory

Padawan
nohandluke said:
Pomse2001 said:

Interesting about this post as I was just asked last week about this exact same thing. Someones hair dryer did not get up to the desired temperature needed to remove their stickers. My wife told me the modern hair dryers produce less heat because women do NOT want to cringe their hair (makes sense to me) :lol:

Something I advised, but have not yet did myself, was maybe try to use steam funneled directly to the sticker. Now if I were to try this method I would use on a sticker which in itself was on it's last leg! A couple of other tid bits to keep in mind...

- What could be used to funnel the steam to the sticker? What kind of device could be used? A 'type' of cooking baster maybe for instance comes to mind but what would produce the steam to funnel it to the baster?
- Would the moisture of the steam be detrimental in the sticker itself? After the sticker is dried would it be distorted in some way due to maybe a rippling during the moisture period?

Btw nohandluke I've been watching your videos for some time here and there.

Forumtrooper

Youngling
I got a loose trilogo Y-Wing in the mail today. The gun assembly wasn't rotating but the sound worked. Since the stickers were already cut on this Y-Wing I decided to open it and fix the gun assembly. After fixing this I realigned the landing gear assembly as was shown in the video (which was a big help btw!) and I noticed that the part were the front landing gear was clipped into was different from the one in the video. it is a more solid piece with just some round holes where the pegs go into, so it has no way of popping out the way it was shown in the video. No need for plastic bands on this one! Also to let the landing gear down, the button needs to be pressed down a little before it can slide forward, I didn't see that in the video either. Just to let you know. :) If anyone is interested, I can see if I can take a picture of it later this week.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom