Which Trilogo's are the most difficult to get

jedi_mister

Jedi Knight
Just wondering what people rank as the most difficult trilogo's to get. I know there's the obvious ones like General Madine and Jawa but it would be nice to see a definitive list based on rarity.

itfciain

Grand Master
There have been a few posts like this over the years but the consensus is that after Madine, the next two are the Jawa and Boba Fett

After that, Luke Hoth and Luke Bespin aren't easy to find - then you have the likes of the Luke Farmboy, Princess Leia Original, ERG, Tie Fighter Pilot, Ackbar, Nien Numb and IG-88

ODB

Jedi Master
There's also the hybrid cards of Cloud Car Pilot and Hammerhead, which are probably under Boba Fett in terms of availability. You also have to take into account that the likes of Yak Face, Leia Boushh and Zuckuss while not rare attract quite a premium as well.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
Aren't Yoda and Zuckuss considered in the "less common" group as well?

I think the old rarity scale might need to be revised abit as Vectis have had a lot of Yoda, Leia Bespin, IG88, TFP's etc. recently but very few of some others (don't remember seeing an ERG or Zuckuss @ Vectis and I also don't remember any first 12 on Tri cards).

It's a different discussion, but I wonder if they were batched up differently in some assortments. What I mean is perhaps the one's that we're seeing more of now (IG88, TFP, Leia Bespin, Yoda) are one distinct assortment, wheras first 12, ERG, Zuckuss etc. are in another distinct assortment. Remember the guy on FB with loads in his loft? He had a ton of Han original, Ben, C3PO(I think) so perhaps he had a different assortment to what Vectis recovered from Beeches.

It does seem notable that we're seeing large amounts of particular characters popping up in batches, rather than there being a more even distribution.

jedi_mister

Jedi Knight
I think it's intriguing to know what might still be uncovered from the Beeches toy shop haul. Maybe a shipment of Boba Fetts and General Madines...

Joe

Grand Master
The answer to the question is "none" (providing you have a decent amount of money available to pursue a set of course).

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
I think New Dawn was the most tricky to find. But that maybe because of its popularity. Eclipse has the easiest to find soundtrack that's for sure.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
It really depends on your definition of difficult. You can buy many of the rare ones like original Leia, Luke Stormtrooper and Yak Face right now on eBay, but at way over market value. There are only a handful of 'reasonably priced' trilogos that are regularly available on eBay - AT-ST driver, Weequay, Nikto, Prune Face etc. The rest fall roughly in to the same category of being not particularly hard to find as Joe says, but you can't just turn up on eBay and buy one, a little patience is required.

Joe

Grand Master
Put it this way, in a 2-3 year period (which is not very long in collecting terms) I personally saw every single Trilogo come up in at least C7-C8 ungraded condition. Most were available quite readily on eBay too, about 85-90% in fact (including "rare" ones like Fett, Jawa, Hybrid CCP, Luke Hoth, ERG, Luke Bespin etc).

There are figures that are harder than others to find sure..but like Edd said, a Trilogo collection is all about patience. They will all come up eventually and there will be chances to obtain them (even the rare ones) simply because they are production figures produced in large quantities. If you can't be arsed to wait and you have silly money to burn/don't care about overpaying then you could probably put together a full set in 6 months but where is the fun in that? Everyone that's ever put a set together that fast sells it all just as fast (and usually at a loss too) so it's one of the most pointless things to do IMO.

If you put out enough feelers for figures that are deemed rare and make people aware that you've got the cash to spend it's remarkable how quickly you can get what you want in this hobby with very little "effort" though..

My own perception of which Trilogos are "rare" and which aren't has dramatically changed in the last few years. It almost seems kind of obvious to say this but unless you immerse yourself in a specific area of collecting you'll never really understand it.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Joe said:
It almost seems kind of obvious to say this but unless you immerse yourself in a specific area of collecting you'll never really understand it.

Very true, and trends change over the years. I considered myself a seasoned trilogo collector about a decade ago, but have been surprised many times over the last few months since I've been looking again. One of the biggest surprises to me is the absurd prices some people are paying for Yak Face, he comes up for sale on an almost weekly basis on eBay but is selling for more than nearly all of the genuinely tough figures.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I think price increases are higher across the board, not just trilogos. Gone are the days of main characters on ROTJ or trilogo cards for under £50.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yeah I've noticed this on the main charactors. I'm starting to wander if the £20 days are gone for any moc.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
theforceuk said:
Yeah I've noticed this on the main charactors. I'm starting to wander if the £20 days are gone for any moc.

I've bought three trilogos for under £25 including postage this year, they are still out there you just need to look harder (and be a bit lucky of course.)

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Part of the problem is that market value is dictated by the number of people who want to buy an item, as well as the needs of the seller.

I would like a tri logo yak face. I am looking to put together a run of all of the figures across a selection of cardbacks. I am on the whole being pretty patient and waiting. I am not going to pay silly money, however I am going to have to pay a large amount of money when the time comes. Now I can tell people till they are blue in the face there are thousands out there, but its not going to stop them asking top money. Why should they cut me a deal when there are rakes of people out there with the cash and desire to pay stupid money for them. Just stick the thing on ebay for £700 and wait for a bite.

I can't see anyone offering this particular MOC to me for a fair price anytime soon, and why should they?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Mr-shifter said:
I can't see anyone offering this particular MOC to me for a fair price anytime soon, and why should they?

As I always say you usually get fair prices on forums, but you rarely get bargains. Nobody will offer a MOC up for sale for way under market value, they'd obviously be mad to! So you just need to play the eBay waiting game.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yeah I did get a 65 back klaatu clear bubble for £24 yesterday, but then lost out in the last seconds tonight on a 77 back Emperor which went for £37 with a torn punch. Like you say it's a waiting game, took me 6 months on the Klaatu and I'v been after the Emperor for over 2 years. :roll: I think the problem for me is I concentrated on 12 backs for years and then thought it was going to be easy collecting Jedi cards, when the reality is for the right price some of them are really hard to get. :roll:

TrisCompany

Jedi Knight
Agree with what's been said so far. There are definitely bargains to be had, especially if you accept that trilogo bubbles are more likely to have had dings and not go the graded route. Yak Face is a weird one, think it's the Yanks ramping up prices as it wasn't released there. The big 3 Jawa, Boba, Madine, you're not going to get for less than a grand realistically these days from what I can see. Tier two Luke Hoth/Bespin/FB c£500 is a good price. Tier 3 the likes of AA, Zuckuss, ERG, Boushh, Nien Numb and the other last 17 you can still get bargains, but realistically if you get any under £150 i think you're doing well. Then tier 4 £50. IMO, but i'm still relatively novice so I could be missing bargains out there that I'm not aware of?

BTW would bite arms off for Luke Bespin/Hoth or FB, if you're selling out there (for a fair price).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom