Playground Urban Myths

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
This was touched upon in another thread and it amused me a lot and I'm sure there's more.

What Star Wars porkies did you hear from over-imaginitive, or bullshitting, school friends back in the day?

In the other thread we had the travelling dad who brought home a Luke Bespin with removable hand from the States. A friend of mine had an uncle in America who sent him a Death Star from the die-cast range.

Any more whoppers out there told to you with no evidence produced? Did you, in a moment of childhood madness, tell any howlers yourself?

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
I remember one rumour, I think it might have come from a magazine like Fantastic Films or Starburst, that Boba Fett was actually Luke's mother.

I also recall someone telling me there was a Landspeeder for the 12" figures and a 12" Power Droid with working led light eye.

I chap I used to work with many years ago, who was also one of the biggest bullsthitters I've ever met, tried to convince me he had a Falcon gift set that included all of the first 12 in the box.

Dantooine

Padawan
Ha! When I was at school the was a kid who had been on holiday to the US and said he had got a Star Destroyer - not the existing toy, a new one for Jedi. He always would boast about it saying it could fit his 20 Stormtroopers inside - massive, the size of a table... He said. This was the same kid (actually he was called Darren) who also said he had a Betamax of Jedi and that if you paused it at a certain section on Endor you could see a truck with two Imperial Guards and the Emperor on the back...

Before that, around 1980, another friend from middle school said he had an orange Greedo, called Beebo... who was Greedo's cousin.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Do you guys find it still goes on. Talk to someone who had a childhood collection now. Tell them about how much a vcj is worth today and they will swear they had one as a child. Even better, mention the rocket firing fett and you will get vivid recollections of how theirs was the rocket firing model, or their brother definitely had one.

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Mr-shifter said:
Do you guys find it still goes on. Talk to someone who had a childhood collection now. Tell them about how much a vcj is worth today and they will swear they had one as a child. Even better, mention the rocket firing fett and you will get vivid recollections of how theirs was the rocket firing model, or their brother definitely had one.

This :lol:

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Those are some collossal whoppers. Shame on everyone concerned even if they were about nine at the time. :lol:

I was flicking thru the old UK comics recently and that letters page of there's was a hotbed of bullshit. The Boba as Luke's mother theory turned up there. And well done them for stating as fact that Star Wars Episode One Journal Of The Whills would be coming out in the late eighties.

SOJ

Sith Lord
Dantooine said:
Ha! When I was at school the was a kid who had been on holiday to the US and said he had got a Star Destroyer - not the existing toy, a new one for Jedi. He always would boast about it saying it could fit his 20 Stormtroopers inside - massive, the size of a table... He said.

:lol: :lol: brilliant I had the same thing from a friend of mine who had the GI JOE aircraft carrier which his dad who worked for an airline had brought him back from a trip to America. He told me his dad was bringing him back the new giant Star Destroyer on his next trip. Guess his dad didn't make it back :D I was so jealous he was getting this I still want one today, Darth Vaders Star Destroyer just doesn't cut it.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Perhaps the daftest part of all is that after believing that there were all these extra figures in the States is was us who had one all al

"I've got an uncle in Mansfield, England and he sent me this figure called Yak Face".

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
There's the tales that turned out to be true as well, like the time I nearly had a fight with a schoolmate who said he had a Death Star playset and I refused to believe it existed because I'd never seen or heard of one.

He described this 'half a ball' type construction with a tunnel and a garbage compactor - I thought he dreamt it.

It wasn't until I actually saw it at his house that I apologised.

Shame on me!

Jez

Sith Lord
I remember when ROTJ came out and we were slightly confused 7/8 year olds. Instead of playing cowboys & indians or cops & robbers we'd play Star Wars, goodies vs baddies. We for a while thought that if anyone killed Vader they would have to turn into a baddie.

Section 8

Sith Lord
For years I thought Admiral Motti had coughed up some kind of fried egg after being force choked. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzs-OvfG8tE

I don't fully remember how i explained it but no doubt told some bullshit after twisting my friends IG-88's arm off. The limb must have been so tight that I didn't realise connecting peg wasn't turning with the rest of the arm. After 4 or 5 turns the arm was getting nice and loose so continued to make IG-88 do a Mike Shannon impression ...............until it fell off. :?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxyYSoblpcI

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
:lol: I never noticed the Motti thing before. It looks like a raw egg. That's ridiculous.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
SOJ said:
Section 8 said:
For years I thought Admiral Motti had coughed up some kind of fried egg after being force choked. :lol:

I used to think it was yellow play-doh :lol: It blew my mind when I was a kid. He even closes his hand like he is trying to wipe if from the table.

He did a good job of hiding it from me all these years.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Some classic's on this thread, I haven't got any but the one thing I use to find funny and still get some time's, is when a friend finds out your into Star Wars and they say oh I had a causin who had everything and his Mum sold it all at a car boot for 50p. I've never met anyone who had everything as a kid and have never seen whole collections sell for 50p at a car boot.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
It's a common problem.

I'm grateful that my mum knew how precious I was about my stuff so I never had that moment of coming home from high school to find the toy cupboard empty. One of the longstanding British SW podcasters was the subject of a BBC2 declutter home makeover thing on telly last year. He explained how his collecting obsessions stem back from his dad throwing his toys out without his control.

Fishtalk

Jedi Knight
One kid at our school always maintained he had a radio controlled Sandcrawler, we all scoffed at this of course, and he wouldn't bring it to school to show us because his Dad wouldn't let him. With hindsight, it was probably true - somehow he had got hold of the Kenner toy, but he always told us he bought it in Manchester. Maybe they were imported over here, though I never saw one.

jesterhud

Youngling
The git that was known as Adrian Hamilton at my school swore blind he had 24 Snowspeeders, an entire squadron of them.
Made me feel very inadequate with just my single example. :x

Another swine Christopher Mole convinced me he had an anti-gravity toy, not entirely sure it was SW related (was a long time ago now), but it was something that defied gravity and floated :roll:

mr h

Padawan
Section 8 said:

100% with you there!! The sound of him hitting the table added to it.

Non-SW related but this thread reminded me of it - a kid at my school once told me (and attempted to demonstrate) that he could look up until he saw his brain. I actually believed him for quite a while, frustrated that I lacked this ability...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom