Header image

Time to call it a day.

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
naughtyjedi
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: Time to call it a day.

Postby naughtyjedi » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:05 pm

i dont know why being banned from rebelscum should stop you loving star wars...

surely chewie roaring will make you love star wars more than that...

anyway, if you are selling up, you still got that last rotj weekly comic.. :P

Joe
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Joe » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:10 pm

Selling up?? Giving in?? Quitting??

What have you done with the real Lee??
I'm famous in Poland!
If you want to get in contact, please email me: joe@trilogo.info - click the image below for my WTB

naughtyjedi
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby naughtyjedi » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:22 pm

Or, he's finally seen the light, moved to Watford and is following them in their Premier League campaign.

Frunkstar
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Frunkstar » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:54 pm

Gees Lee, this is one post I never expected to see, but I hear what you are saying, you know as we all do that RS can be pissy at the best of times, so I hope its not just goings on over there that have soured the milk for you, if I were you I'd pack every scrap of SW related stuff up in boxes, pack it away & forget about it for a good while, theres plenty to life aside collecting & this hobby, hell in a year or 2 your drive & love for it may be back stronger than ever & it would be a shame to have to start again, especially with the prices the way they are going.

But whatever you decide I wish you all the best.
If there's a bright spark to the center of the galaxy, we're on the planet it's furthest from.

tiefighterboy
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby tiefighterboy » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:24 am

As much as some of these things bother me...I will not let any assholes drive me out of this hobby...never. Fuck them. Prior to the internet they
existed...I just never had to listen or read their crap on a daily basis. Back then If I happened to run into their kind at a toy show..I would just walk all over them or tell them to fuck off....or better yet..fucking laugh at them or outright ignore them.

and not to bash RS again...but there have been a few assholes on there since the beginning...Ignore them...or at least try to.

spoons
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby spoons » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:02 am

No idea what happened on RS Lee but a ban there is no big deal, your home is here :)

As others have said sleep on it for a month or two
http://www.vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk for all your vintage die cast needs

maxf
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby maxf » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:19 am

The loud, shouty parts of the hobby have changed - I took some time out and came back a few months ago and was shocked at the change. However, the friendly people are still friendly, Star Wars is still Star Wars and the toys are still the same (but with yellow bubbles ;) ). You've got to try and ignore those would would treat this hobby the same as a share portfolio (you want to see some of the arguments on trading forums!), and try to enjoy it for what it is.

If you do decide to sell up (I cant judge as I did just that in 2010), then I will say that eventually you will more than likely come back (check out all of the old faces who have resurfaced this year). With that in mind, put your collection in boxes for a year and see what you think after that. If you don't think about it and your collection room becomes something else, then maybe it is time to sell. But don't be rash and sell now - you wont be able to buy it all back again, and the money gained is quickly spent.
Looking for Palitoy mailers and MOCs...

Detailed WTB list here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32243

starshipriot
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby starshipriot » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:46 am

Such a shame when someone decides to leave the hobby. I hope you find other passions to invest in mate.
I discovered RS around the same time I found this forum, but I never joined RS as I saw how bitchy the boards were and how people were banned for stating an oppinion. And it was full of assholes justifying U-grade, and people thinking of opening carded droids figures which really pissed me off.
I hope you find your way back into the hobby, though wish you all the best if not.

Grant
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Grant » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:56 pm

Lee my 2 pence worth. Quitting the hobby just because of RS Is a BAD move. That place is going to end up exstinct sooner or later anyway. It's been on the decline for years now. Almost every thread there decends into a pathetic argument. There's more Trolls there now than wood worm in an old piece of furniture.

This place on the other hand seems to be thriving. It's also chalk full of people that are enthusiastic to be here. No heirs and graces, unlike that other place that's eating itself from the inside out. Don't get me wrong there's still a few good guys over but they'll probably move on too.
Last edited by Grant on Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some where in the Outer Rim Territories...

Carl Waterworth
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Carl Waterworth » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:54 pm

The way I see it, I was collecting Star Wars before RS, before forums. So if I were to get banned from RS, then so what and if suddenly RS disappeared then I will still be collecting! Infact, imo forums and ebay have made it easier to get the harder to find items, but has taken some of the fun out of it! But dont give up because of one forum! And don't let it dampen you collecting enthusiasm!

There are plenty more outlets to obtain vintage Star Wars! :)
501st ID - TK/TB/DZ/BH3229

x-pack
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby x-pack » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:57 pm

I might be over simplifying here but just forget RS. All I hear is bad shit about that forum. Would take more than getting banned off there or anywhere else to stop a lifelong love for Star Wars

Mr-shifter
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Mr-shifter » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:01 pm

Hey lee.

Don't do anything yet. As others have said, pack your stuff up and put it away if you need a break. If you do that and in a year still feel the way you do then sell it.

Once it's gone it's gone and unless you need the money, leave it be. You can always change your mind then. Regret is a terrible thing

Fuck the forums off for a bit but get down to farthest from in early August. Meet some real people, there will be loads of your old friends there as well as new ones.

If you have still lost your mojo after that then fair enough but take time before you do anything. How long have you been in this? 15years? 20years? Maybe more. You owe yourself a few months before you walk away from all that.
WANTED: The following speederbikes. I would like them boxed but open and complete. I need:

Meccano stickered bike
Pbp stickered bilogo
Danish stickered bilogo
Special offer uk bilogo

shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby shawn_k » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:19 pm

Really sorry to see this news Lee. I'd agree with some of the others than maybe you should consider to hold off. I didn't see what happened, but give some time to think things through before selling up. Also, as mentioned RS just isn't what it used to be. It was the hub for buying/selling back in the day, but now it is all just WTB threads now that FB has basically taken over. The general conversations aren't what they used to be either.

Christian
Approved Trader
Approved Trader

Postby Christian » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:43 pm

Lee - noooooooooooo!!!! This is the best piece advice without a doubt:

Frunkstar wrote:... if I were you I'd pack every scrap of SW related stuff up in boxes, pack it away & forget about it for a good while, theres plenty to life aside collecting & this hobby, hell in a year or 2 your drive & love for it may be back stronger than ever & it would be a shame to have to start again, especially with the prices the way they are going.

but most of all..

Frunkstar wrote:... But whatever you decide I wish you all the best.

Cheers,
Christian
GW Acrylic - Bespoke Acrylic Display Products - MOC, Loose, Mailers and Accessories: http://www.gwacrylic.co.uk

_Lee_
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby _Lee_ » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:43 pm

Wow, thanks guys :)

Anyway, i mentioned this to the other half the other night, and she went apeshit. She told me to just take a break and keep it all. Also ,Sonny heard and was really upset. It seems as though im the coolest Dad at school as i have a massive SW collection. He also said the Episode 1 stuff is his (we started this collection as TPM 3D was his first ever cinema trip) and that i have promised it all to him anyway. He said that we should just watch the films again for a bit and that would make things better. Bloody hell, he is only 7!!!

So, i will be taking a break although he is now trawling Ebay ! Not only for SW, but anything Marvel!!!

Thanks all for your words, and for the comments and pm,s ive received.

Maybe just a little bit will be moving on :)

Lee
Vintage toys ,prop and autograph collector and Luton Town FC supporter.
Also try to play guitar with the guy in my avatar as an inspiration!
JASON BECKER STILL THE BEST EVER AND STILL HERE DESPITE A.L.S.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”