Advice for a wannabe new/old collector

Sparky P

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Chaps. As referred to in my earlier post in the "who's who" topic, I've recently returned to the hobby after a long abstinence. I have a more of less complete loose collection including last 17 that will stay in the loft. I just like KNOWING that I have them.

I have about 30 moc but would really like to buy some 12 backs or 21 backs. Every time I bid on e bay (at which I am a very recently converted virgin) I end up getting stiffed with a couple of seconds to go.

Is there anywhere online where I can just BUY the stuff anymore? I am from greater Manchester. Used to know of Gary and Terry in the corn exchange before the bomb and then of ancoates but these days it all seems to be e bay for 12 or 21 backs. That seems to be the only place to find them.

Is there anywhere online where collectors exchange them? I keep my eyes on the sales section but they don't seem to come up.

Please don't eviscerate me if this is a naive request!

Vernon

Jedi Knight
Hi there,

Keep any eye on the for sale section on here & post in the most wanted section you might get a
few replies. Various sites in the U.S. such as Brian's Toys & Final Frontier Toys but these prices are usually pretty high and you also have to add postage & customs fees. Facebook seems to be one of the main market places these days.

Did you go to the record fairs that also sold Star Wars in Manchester in the early 90's..can't remember the exact location because I'd usually been to the Hac the night before!! (possibly in the corn exchange?)

Good luck in your search.

Sparky P

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Hi Vernon. Thanks for replying. I've seen the overseas sites but am put off because there seem to be customs duties levied at an import? If anyone can enlighten me on this I would be grateful.

I remember Bowlers having fairs that I think I got my suspect TT from. Missed out on the "Hac" myself by a couple of years. By the time I understood its significance it had gone.

The corn exchange pre bomb in the years I would go there, 92-96 had three sources of vintage. A lady called Doris I think who lived by the sansweet book, a lovely old chap who had a stall whose name I think was Arthur and then Gary and Terry ho had their own store pretty much devoted to vintage SW.

I vividly remember thinking that £120 was too much for a 12 back c-3po and r2d2.....

Jez

Sith Lord
This doesn't answer your question but it is good advice (in my opinion), check out the events section and look for "Farthest From" it's a collectors event which typically has shed loads of vintage for sale. Good prices, items in hand, no postage worries, lads, banter, beer, good chat, etc
Well worth a trip down.
I'd go as far to say....
...life changing. I'm not being overly dramatic. Prior to FF1 most of us had never met. I organised a meet up/crash at my place the night before and met 2 guys for the first time who i know consider amongst my closest friends, in fact I went to Essen and Anaheim with one of them!
You've already made a great decision by joining this forum.
Best of luck, it's a mind field, hence why things like FF will be awesome for you as you'll be surrounded by experts and have a good laugh at the same time.

Sparky P

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Thanks Jez. I've often weighed up Farthest From but have been put off by the distance tbh. Wouldn't be able to make the one at the start of August because we are away but will consider the one after that.

Can anyone advise regarding ordering from abroad? Do customs charge on importing items from America?

Lom

Jedi Master
Supporter
Sparky P said:
Thanks Jez. I've often weighed up Farthest From but have been put off by the distance tbh. Wouldn't be able to make the one at the start of August because we are away but will consider the one after that.

Can anyone advise regarding ordering from abroad? Do customs charge on importing items from America?
You'll end up paying around an additional 20% import duty. If you know someone from the states who might be able to receive the item in and send it on to you it would definitely help. If you ask around in this forum you may be able to find someone to help in this regard...

momike

Jedi Master
:lol: the corn exchange, those were the days :p not much of the old town left anymore :( Gary and Terry are still knocking about, i always bump in to them at the Barry Potter fairs, Gary is the man when it comes to star wars but pretty sure he has no 12/21 bks

Sparky P

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Thanks Lom. Appreciate that.

:D :D :D MoMike. Pleased that Gaz and Tel are still at it. The number of times I went in their shop and thought, "if only I had the cash". Remember them having a full set of tri logos in a sales box once. But it's letting R2 and 3PO go for £120 on 12 backs that still gets me to this day. Do they have an online store or e bay account?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom