Header image

"Uncracked Limbs"

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

"Uncracked Limbs"

Postby edd_jedi » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:58 am

I've seen this phrase mentioned a few times recently when people are selling loose figures on Facebook, eg a loose original Han yesterday. I know the original 3PO had a message on the cardback mentioning that the paint over the limbs needed to be cracked when first opened, but I've never heard of it for any other figures. I can imagine when you try and move the limbs of any loose figure that haven't been moved for years they may be tight (dust, mould, frosting, whatever) but is there actually any substance behind this? Or is it just another bullshit way for sellers to try and charge more money for loose figures? I assume they are trying to imply the figure has never been posed.

Joe
Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: "Uncracked Limbs"

Postby Joe » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:39 am

Yeah you are right Edd, I think it's mostly the metallic droids that had to be "cracked". Sounds like someone has just heard the term and thought it applied to all figures that have stiff limbs or haven't been played with. :lol:
I'm famous in Poland!
If you want to get in contact, please email me: joe@trilogo.info - click the image below for my WTB

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:08 pm

It has the whiff of more FB BS

Mr-shifter
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Mr-shifter » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:17 pm

I have an uncracked c3po. Well, he's 75% uncracked as the seller wanted to make sure it wasn't glued or threaded in the limbs so he cracked an arm to check it moved.

You never seem to see uncracked Death Star droids for sale though. I wonder if the process of the silver was different to c3pos gold.

To me, the only figure that can have uncracked limbs is c3po, which is a byproduct of assembly.
WANTED: The following speederbikes. I would like them boxed but open and complete. I need:

Meccano stickered bike
Pbp stickered bilogo
Danish stickered bilogo
Special offer uk bilogo

Bonsai_Tree_Ent
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Bonsai_Tree_Ent » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:25 pm

I heard about this collector once who got a stiff limbed Trilogo Fett through the post. He didn't look at it for couple of months and so the limbs went wiggly. But then he cried and his tears made the limbs go stiff again. True story.

steve obi wan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby steve obi wan » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:34 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:
Steve ,

Reliving my child hood , only this time I have to spend my own money !

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Cazza » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:39 pm

Mr-shifter wrote:I have an uncracked c3po. Well, he's 75% uncracked as the seller wanted to make sure it wasn't glued or threaded in the limbs so he cracked an arm to check it moved.

You never seem to see uncracked Death Star droids for sale though. I wonder if the process of the silver was different to c3pos gold.

To me, the only figure that can have uncracked limbs is c3po, which is a byproduct of assembly.

The DSD most definitely had to be cracked. I have vivid memories in the back of the car on the way back from Zodiac Toys (Swindon) on my 7th birthday, being a little confused/upset why the DSD limbs wouldn't move. I thought it was going to break, as I had to force the limbs to move.

As for the other figures- it's only C3P0, surely? Others are just stiff-limbed/unplayed with. You don't have to 'crack' them :roll: Typical Facebook nonsense.
Collecting SW since 1980.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

Fishtalk
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Fishtalk » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:07 pm

I had the same problem when I first got C-3PO, couldn't move his limbs so I assumed that they were fixed, and he stayed that way for several days. Then I saw a kid at school playing with his Threepio, and realized what had to be done. Once I'd cracked them, those limbs went floppy fast.
Obviously thousands of kids had the same problem, hence the warning/disclaimer on later cards.

'Uncracked' sounds more expensive than 'stiff limbs' so expect to see more listings like that, right or wrong. (And it is wrong, the term definitely only applies to Threepio and DSD).

walkie
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby walkie » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:01 pm

As well as the "uncracked" limbs on the vac-metalled figures, you can also find figures with "frozen" limbs.

These are commonly found on several foreign variants, for example...

PBP Bossk, PBP dark brown rebel soldier etc...

I also have and I'm not taking the piss a PBP tri-logo fett which has super stiff limbs that I daren't move.

The reason for the frozen limbs? It would have to be something to do with the different materials used and the expansion/shrinkage in the mating parts over time.
Wanted: Lili Ledy, Glasslite, Meccano, Canadian Instruction Sheets, $$$ waiting!!

Visit My Vintage Paperwork Limelight Click Me!
The Glasslite Guide & Discussion Thread Click Me! & The Droids Guide & Discussion Thread Click Me!

Bootyhunter
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Bootyhunter » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:09 pm

Some people use the term 'unsnapped' limbs for regular figures (but what would I know about stiff limbs? :shock: )

steve obi wan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby steve obi wan » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:13 pm

:lol: :lol:

This is too much !
Steve ,

Reliving my child hood , only this time I have to spend my own money !

Section 8
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Section 8 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:26 pm

walkie wrote:As well as the "uncracked" limbs on the vac-metalled figures, you can also find figures with "frozen" limbs.

These are commonly found on several foreign variants, for example...

PBP Bossk, PBP dark brown rebel soldier etc...

I also have and I'm not taking the piss a PBP tri-logo fett which has super stiff limbs that I daren't move.

The reason for the frozen limbs? It would have to be something to do with the different materials used and the expansion/shrinkage in the mating parts over time.

I can vouch for this. I bought a joblot of loose figures and variants from a chap in Norway which included a few PBP figures. I thought the legs of a PBP Han Hoth had been glued they were so stiff. I was annoyed and about to contact the seller but after a slightly harder push they cracked and I was then gutted they went all loose and floppy....

....so I glued them.

I told this SW vintage collecting sheep the same story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIaFtAKnqBU
"Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding."

Section 8
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Section 8 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:29 pm

Ooops Double posted. Worth seeing this again though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIaFtAKnqBU
"Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding."

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:36 pm

Never heard of this before, makes sense though. Don't tell AFA about this. :lol:
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

hellhippie
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby hellhippie » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:28 am

Bonsai_Tree_Ent wrote:I heard about this collector once who got a stiff limbed Trilogo Fett through the post. He didn't look at it for couple of months and so the limbs went wiggly. But then he cried and his tears made the limbs go stiff again. True story.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
id rather be fishing

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”